Too many additional essays?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Just
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Too many additional essays?

Postby Just » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:44 am

If I submit a DS, a why essay, an addendum explaining my first LSAT score alongside a ps, would it appear to be too much?
Thanks!

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Too many additional essays?

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:53 am

It's hard to say, but you may not need the LSAT addendum at all. As long as the other essays are within the guidelines for length, which may be different from school to school, you should be fine.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Too many additional essays?

Postby bp shinners » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:23 pm

Just wrote:If I submit a DS, a why essay, an addendum explaining my first LSAT score alongside a ps, would it appear to be too much?
Thanks!


If they're all answering questions, then it's not too much.

However, an LSAT addendum is rarely warranted. What exactly are you saying in it?

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Too many additional essays?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:20 pm

Are the ways in which you are diverse clearly signalled by the rest of your application? If so, don't submit a diversity statement.

For example, if the only reason why you're diverse is that you're an international student from country X, and admissions committees will easily be able to see that you are from country X by looking at the other parts of your application, don't write a DS - unless there are substantial ways in which being from X makes you diverse that admissions committees won't already be aware of (for example, you're part of an unusual religious or ethnic minority in country X).

JohnV
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:29 am

Re: Too many additional essays?

Postby JohnV » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:58 pm

As already said, LSAT addendums are rarely needed. Admissions officers are just going to ask why you didn't cancel the test if the conditions were bad.

Just
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Re: Too many additional essays?

Postby Just » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:50 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Just wrote:If I submit a DS, a why essay, an addendum explaining my first LSAT score alongside a ps, would it appear to be too much?
Thanks!


If they're all answering questions, then it's not too much.

However, an LSAT addendum is rarely warranted. What exactly are you saying in it?


test center disturbance

Just
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Re: Too many additional essays?

Postby Just » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:53 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Are the ways in which you are diverse clearly signalled by the rest of your application? If so, don't submit a diversity statement.

For example, if the only reason why you're diverse is that you're an international student from country X, and admissions committees will easily be able to see that you are from country X by looking at the other parts of your application, don't write a DS - unless there are substantial ways in which being from X makes you diverse that admissions committees won't already be aware of (for example, you're part of an unusual religious or ethnic minority in country X).


I tried to write my educational background growing up in country X, but most people sat that I should remove it since it's not personal enough. So I'm thinking about including that and related stuff in a ds. I came from a special place in country X, does that count?

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Too many additional essays?

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:45 pm

I wrote a lot of essays during my cycle. For each school, I submitted the following:

-Personal Statement
-Diversity Statement
-Statement of Disadvantage

And, if I was WL'd or Held, I submitted a "Why X" essay (although some schools already offer them as supplemental essays). And, in March I sent LOCIs to every school I was WLd at.

As for the LSAT addendum, the general rule of thumb is that if you just studied in a more effective way and that led you to receiving a higher score, then an addendum is not necessary. However, since you're citing a test disturbance I'd think it'd depend on what exactly you were going to say. Addenda are usually brief and to the point, so you wouldn't want to spend a lot of time explaining a situation or blaming someone else for your performance because it might not come off in the way you want it to. That's something to be mindful of.

In all honestly, if you get a score you're happy with the second time around, I doubt an addendum is going to make or break you.

JohnV
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:29 am

Re: Too many additional essays?

Postby JohnV » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:15 am

Just wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
Just wrote:If I submit a DS, a why essay, an addendum explaining my first LSAT score alongside a ps, would it appear to be too much?
Thanks!


If they're all answering questions, then it's not too much.

However, an LSAT addendum is rarely warranted. What exactly are you saying in it?


test center disturbance


So why didn't you cancel the score? Just asking because that's what they are going to want to know and it's very hard to convince them that the disturbance was bad enough to warrant the addendum but wasn't bad enough to cancel your score.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Too many additional essays?

Postby bp shinners » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:09 pm

JohnV wrote: it's very hard to convince them that the disturbance was bad enough to warrant the addendum but wasn't bad enough to cancel your score.


This. Also, was there a complaint filed about the test center disturbance?

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Too many additional essays?

Postby danitt » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:30 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:I wrote a lot of essays during my cycle. For each school, I submitted the following:

-Personal Statement
-Diversity Statement
-Statement of Disadvantage

This is a new one for me, what is it exactly?

taf889
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Re: Too many additional essays?

Postby taf889 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:55 pm

I don't think so--I would just make sure nothing can get cut.

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Too many additional essays?

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 pm

danitt wrote:
This is a new one for me, what is it exactly?


It's basically just a statement discussing how one comes from a disadvantaged background. In mine, I focused on how my mother had several issues that caused her to be absent from our home, which forced me to raise my younger brothers at a very young age. There were a couple of places I applied (although I'd have to go back and look) who listed a Statement of Disadvantage as an optional supplemental essay. Annnd, since I wanted to take advantage of every writing opportunity I had, I included it in every application.

I will say, however, common TLS wisdom is to not add additional essays if they don't ask for them. And while my usage of the many essays seemed to positively influence my application, anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: wild11cat and 6 guests