How to maximize attractiveness to HLS/SLS??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
harttrek1

How to maximize attractiveness to HLS/SLS??

Postby harttrek1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:29 pm

4.0 LSDAS, 170 (June '12-one take)

I am pretty much going to blanket the T14, but I was curious as to any specific or proven methods to increase my chances at Harvard and Stanford.

Softs: Strong LORs, above average PS (harmless, anyway), dual degrees in business discipline and language, internship, study abroad, interesting extracurriculars and average campus involvement. K-JD

I have no ties or extremely specific reasons for either school, so i have been told to not write why X for either. Any tips? LSN and LSP both indicate I'm (historically) 50/50 at HLS and about 32% at SLS; should thi cycle see better or worse outcomes for candidates on the line like me? Thanks in advance.

*Planning a re-take, but other advice would be helpful in the event I do not improve my score. I maximized my PT scores on the real deal first take.

thederangedwang

Re: How to maximize attractiveness to HLS/SLS??

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:31 pm

apply early. You're in better shape for SLS I think actually than HLS.

Other than that, make sure everything is flawless but work on that PS. You're situation is when a PS is actually important since it can serve to make you memorable.

Usually its numbers based, but since youre on the bubble, in your case, the PS can make or break you. Work on that PS

harttrek1

Postby harttrek1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:03 pm

Thanks for the advice. Any further would be appreciated.

I plan to apply within a couple of weeks after apps are open. I have been working on my PS for about three weeks now. I am happy with it, but of course will continue to refine it up until gametime. It is pretty personal, or I would post it here. Thanks again.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:13 pm

don't write Why x's at HYS. It's stating the obvious and they don't care. You are gonna have a tough time cracking H unless the retake goes pretty well, but you are definitely in good shape.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:48 pm

Apply early this year. I think you are 50/50 for both H and S. They may take you in the early wave this year just based on the shortage of applicants with 170+ LSAT's. Try to make your personal statement memorable and frame your extracurriculars into a cohesive narrative. Also try to get relatively enthusiastic LOR's if possible. When you are on the bubble stats-wise like you are, it helps to maximize all other aspects of your application.

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:25 pm

thederangedwang wrote:You're in better shape for SLS I think actually than HLS.

Why is this?

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:30 pm

giuseppes12 wrote:

Why is this?

SLS has historically emphasized GPA over lsat. Its LSN graph supports this conclusion.

Though HLS has high gpa's too, they tend to also emphasize lsat. So a 170 would hurt OP at HLS but is inconsequential at SLS

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:36 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
giuseppes12 wrote:

Why is this?

SLS has historically emphasized GPA over lsat. Its LSN graph supports this conclusion.

Though HLS has high gpa's too, they tend to also emphasize lsat. So a 170 would hurt OP at HLS but is inconsequential at SLS

gotcha

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Oh! "Strong LORs," huh!? You're golden!

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:51 pm

Last edited by thederangedwang on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:52 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Oh! "Strong LORs," huh!? You're golden!

:roll:

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:54 pm

Last edited by thederangedwang on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:00 am

thederangedwang wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Oh! "Strong LORs," huh!? You're golden!

:roll:

that what you got on your lsat?

Totally.

harttrek1

Postby harttrek1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:42 am

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Looking forward to the cycle, and I appreciate the tips.

MrKappus- Not sure why the sarcasm is necessary. I was realistic in my assessment of my value as a candidate overall; I am no special snowflake but I know where my strengths and weaknesses are as an applicant. My LORs are indeed strong, in that they are from successful individuals who have had long-term close interaction with me in academic and professional settings who can attest to my work ethic, writing skills, problem-solving abilities, and other intangibles.

soj

Postby soj » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:43 am

Your chances at HLS are worse than 50-50. Your softs sound unexceptional, and being a K-JD doesn't help. Studying hard on your LSAT is by far the best way to improve your chances at HLS.

http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... ,8&type=jd

Your stats are already fine for SLS and I don't know what more you can do other than maybe improve your PS. A better LSAT score couldn't hurt.

harttrek1

Postby harttrek1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:15 am

soj wrote:Your chances at HLS are worse than 50-50. Your softs sound unexceptional, and being a K-JD doesn't help. Studying hard on your LSAT is by far the best way to improve your chances at HLS.

Your stats are already fine for SLS and I don't know what more you can do other than maybe improve your PS. A better LSAT score couldn't hurt.

That about sums it up. My softs are definitely unexceptional. I would say they will do me no harm but probably not place me higher in the pile. I feel like I can improve by a couple of points, but my test day score was exactly my PT average, so I wasn't disappointed. Now to just tune on my PS! Thanks

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:20 am

Post undergraduate work experience.

harttrek1

Postby harttrek1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:43 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Post undergraduate work experience.

I would think I have pretty average undergrad work experience:

Departmental student worker position, part-time
Congressional internship
Golf course pro shop assistant, also independent instructor (part-time year round basis for five years now)

Limited, I know.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:46 am

harttrek1 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Post undergraduate work experience.

I would think I have pretty average undergrad work experience:

Departmental student worker position, part-time
Congressional internship
Golf course pro shop assistant, also independent instructor (part-time year round basis for five years now)

Limited, I know.

CW is saying to get some full-time work experience after graduating. I agree. WE is useful in LS admissions, OCI and incredibly valuable to your personal life.

harttrek1

Postby harttrek1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:58 am

Ha sorry, I misunderstood. That makes perfect sense. I am conflicted because I know WE would be highly beneficial, yet I really would like to enroll in fall of 2013, especially since I hope to have some solid non-HYS options. Also, I graduate in December and will most likely be working at a local bank until the next August, but this will likely have no impact on my admissions cycle.
Decisions decisions.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:15 am

harttrek1 wrote:Ha sorry, I misunderstood. That makes perfect sense. I am conflicted because I know WE would be highly beneficial, yet I really would like to enroll in fall of 2013, especially since I hope to have some solid non-HYS options. Also, I graduate in December and will most likely be working at a local bank until the next August, but this will likely have no impact on my admissions cycle.
Decisions decisions.

Law school will always be there. I strongly encourage you to work first. You will do a lot of growing that you simply can't do while in school. It will make you better prepared for law school and better prepared for biglaw/other job. And you'll be able to better figure out what you want to do or if law school is even right for you. Don't feel rushed just because you have great options.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:21 am

Did you go to a particularly elite UG? That might make your 4.0 GPA more impressive to some admissions committee members. It might also mean that you can get 1 or 2 years of exceptional work experience should you choose to do so.

If you didn't go to a great UG, make sure that your application tells a consistent narrative. That way you can still fill a niche for the incoming class even if you can't beat out the top applicants in terms of credentials.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am

harttrek1 wrote:Ha sorry, I misunderstood. That makes perfect sense. I am conflicted because I know WE would be highly beneficial, yet I really would like to enroll in fall of 2013, especially since I hope to have some solid non-HYS options. Also, I graduate in December and will most likely be working at a local bank until the next August, but this will likely have no impact on my admissions cycle.
Decisions decisions.

So let's review. You want to know what you can do to maximize your chances, but aren't really willing to do much of anything, due to some vague preference to start law school in a certain year.

Um... just start a foundation to raise and spend a few million dollars for some trendy cause. You have about 3 months. I'm thinking vaccination trucks to Haiti, to accommodate your timeline.

harttrek1

Postby harttrek1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Shooter wrote:Did you go to a particularly elite UG? That might make your 4.0 GPA more impressive to some admissions committee members. It might also mean that you can get 1 or 2 years of exceptional work experience should you choose to do so.

If you didn't go to a great UG, make sure that your application tells a consistent narrative. That way you can still fill a niche for the incoming class even if you can't beat out the top applicants in terms of credentials.

I didn't go to an elite undergrad, unfortunately. With due diligence, I could find some relevant local work experience opportunities, however. This is something I am seriously considering. Thanks for the help.

IAFG wrote:So let's review. You want to know what you can do to maximize your chances, but aren't really willing to do much of anything, due to some vague preference to start law school in a certain year.

Um... just start a foundation to raise and spend a few million dollars for some trendy cause. You have about 3 months. I'm thinking vaccination trucks to Haiti, to accommodate your timeline.

So far, the advice I have received in this thread is to retake, focus intensely on PS, and gain work experience. I am planning to retake already, have bee working on my PS and other essays for over two months, and am strongly considering taking a year off to work. I'm sorry if by saying "decisions, decisions," in my last post, rather than declaring immediately that I will take a year off, you were led to believe I am unwilling to do anything to help myself. Moreover, you are operating on the assumption that my preference for starting next fall is vague simply because I failed to list specific reasons otherwise. That is not the case.

Thanks for all the replies so far, I really appreciate it.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:06 pm

In my 5 years on TLS, I have never heard a good reason for being stubborn about K-JDing. Most people who insist they need to be a K-JD are people who are scared to have to make payments on their UG loans or who are afraid of trying to get a decent job.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”