Community College Woes, anyone else in the same boat?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bchirco

Community College Woes, anyone else in the same boat?

Postby bchirco » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:02 pm

Hey All,

I have been recently going through major stages of depression lately regarding my LSAC GPA. I started community college when I was 17 right after I graduated highschool and had no idea what I was doing (2 Fs - which I retook, 4 Ws, and a couple of Cs). I quit for a little while and went back when I was 22 (when I realized I wanted to practice law) and got nothing but A's and B's. I went to UCSD from there and got a 3.65 over all GPA, was president of student council, volunteered, held a management based job etc.

It wasn't until I saw my Prelaw advisor at UCSD that I realized that the LSAC takes ALL undergrad courses. That 3 unit Weight training class that I thought didn't matter and got a C in...worth as much as any 3 unit class at UCSD GPA wise. Not only that, they will factor in those two F Grades even though they were repeated. EF. EM. EL. To top it off, my community college ONLY gave A's B's C's and F's NO + or -, for ex B+=B on transcript (so those 88% in classes which should be a 3.3 in LSACs eyes are 3.0s) AND UCSD Poli Sci Does NOT give A+'s, which LSAC allows as 4.3.

Now I'm 27, working fulltime and studying for nearly 5 hours a day for the LSAT in October to help offset my atrocious 3.15 LSAC GPA and have any shot at all in a Top 20 let alone a Top 30 however, I'm only getting 163's on PTs atm. :(

Anyone else in my same boat or share my woeful sentiments? Are we screwed?

Sorry for the pity story :( I just havent vented it to anyone.

Lincoln

Re: Community College Woes, anyone else in the same boat?

Postby Lincoln » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:17 pm

The story about the grades should go in an addendum. Some schools may consider that classes taken ten years ago should not carry equal weight in predicting your academic potential, but either way, it will hurt you.

Because there's nothing you can do about your GPA now, concentrate on the LSAT. If you are topping out at 163 this far in advance of the test you are likely following a flawed study method. Try following one of the LSAT study guides on here.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:21 pm

It is what it is. I went through the same shit (3.0/167).

Score median for a shot at most schools ranked 19-30. Good luck.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:28 pm

I know the situation sucks but you aren't completely screwed. If you can get that score to 170 or 171, you have a shot at UVA with early decision or NU with early decision (you'll get rolled to reg decision, then accepted). Good luck, and understand that at least the LSAT is as important or more important than your gpa

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:29 pm

do you happen to be a URM? that could mitigate the GPA to some extent although schools generally seem to prefer high GPA/low LSAT URMs rather than the opposite

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:30 pm

bchirco wrote:Hey All,

I have been recently going through major stages of depression lately regarding my LSAC GPA. I started community college when I was 17 right after I graduated highschool and had no idea what I was doing (2 Fs - which I retook, 4 Ws, and a couple of Cs). I quit for a little while and went back when I was 22 (when I realized I wanted to practice law) and got nothing but A's and B's. I went to UCSD from there and got a 3.65 over all GPA, was president of student council, volunteered, held a management based job etc.

It wasn't until I saw my Prelaw advisor at UCSD that I realized that the LSAC takes ALL undergrad courses. That 3 unit Weight training class that I thought didn't matter and got a C in...worth as much as any 3 unit class at UCSD GPA wise. Not only that, they will factor in those two F Grades even though they were repeated. EF. EM. EL. To top it off, my community college ONLY gave A's B's C's and F's NO + or -, for ex B+=B on transcript (so those 88% in classes which should be a 3.3 in LSACs eyes are 3.0s) AND UCSD Poli Sci Does NOT give A+'s, which LSAC allows as 4.3.

Now I'm 27, working fulltime and studying for nearly 5 hours a day for the LSAT in October to help offset my atrocious 3.15 LSAC GPA and have any shot at all in a Top 20 let alone a Top 30 however, I'm only getting 163's on PTs atm. :(

Anyone else in my same boat or share my woeful sentiments? Are we screwed?

Sorry for the pity story :( I just havent vented it to anyone.

how long have you been studying for? you have found TLS and there are an abundance of extremely helpful LSAT prep resources. You can do this! upward trend GPA is also a soft, but if you really put the time in (and continually remind yourself of the importance in retaking and even reapplying if necessary), you can still come out with some great schools. if you crack 170 you can get northwestern w/ your WE. UVa w/ 170 or 171, as well too (ED of course ha). just really focus on the LSAT. what is your weakest section? if you have a lot of room to improve on LG, for example, those 163's could be turning into 170's in a matter of weeks.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:31 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I know the situation sucks but you aren't completely screwed. If you can get that score to 170 or 171, you have a shot at UVA with early decision or NU with early decision (you'll get rolled to reg decision, then accepted). Good luck, and understand that at least the LSAT is as important or more important than your gpa

lol damn you beat me to it JMJ

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm currently still in UG working to offset mistakes from when I was 17, so I and my 2.7 definitely feel you. Try to keep your head up, and channel this frustration into motivation to do REALLY well. Breaking into the 170's will put you in a much better place than someone with a 3.6 who can't break a 165.

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I really appreciate it!

I am following the LSAT blog's day to day study schedule (with a little modification from the 180 articles on here) so I have limited study on LR or RC atm. I have only been focusing on LG for the past 3-4 weeks (i currently only miss 0-2 tops timed).

On Monday I started LR and will be focusing primarily on this for the next 4 weeks. RC is going to be a 2-3 week study. I am currently taking 1 PT a week but will up it to 2 in the first 2 weeks in September and to 3 in the last two weeks.

Every morning for the last two weeks, in addition to studying, I have alternated and taken one timed 35 min section right after I wake up. MWF=LR, T=LG, Th=RC.

I know this isn't the prep forums, but any suggestions on the this??

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:58 pm

An addendum + upward trend + high LSAT score and your existant softs should help you get to the T20. Also, I kind of know what you mean about the -/+ scale. I went to an 'easier' public university/community college trying to upgrade typ place that didn't do +/-. Got a 4.0 there. Went to my state's biggest/arguably toughest school which had JUST that year changed to plus minus and it has been chipping away at my GPA ever since. But I can't complain, it has only marginally hurt more than it has helped. A+ would be nice though, I'd be above every schools median if that existed here.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:02 pm

bchirco wrote:

I didn't really follow a specific prep course much, I just isolated my weak points and furiously chipped away at them. Also, I think there's a lot to be said about a cooling off period before the exam. I took my first one in October, got a 164. Registered for February, literally forgot about it until the end of January, and got a 171.

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:52 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
bchirco wrote:

I didn't really follow a specific prep course much, I just isolated my weak points and furiously chipped away at them. Also, I think there's a lot to be said about a cooling off period before the exam. I took my first one in October, got a 164. Registered for February, literally forgot about it until the end of January, and got a 171.

Yeah that is good idea. My father in law did the same thing (but back in the early 80s when the lsat was different). He took it initially with a life or death attitude and did decent, but not decent enough to get into a top 20. He retook it with the idea that "life is good whether I go to law school or not," rocked it and got into Hastings (which back then was a top 20).

Postby 06102016 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:19 pm

patienunderstanding

Postby patienunderstanding » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 pm

Last edited by patienunderstanding on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoctorShawHi

Postby DoctorShawHi » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:21 pm

If you're only scoring 163s now and don't make some great breakthrough, I'd recommend waiting for the next LSAT in December. Others have said it. If you can sore 170+ you'll be in fine shape.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”