Letter of recommendation from a law firm Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
magp90

Bronze

Letter of recommendation from a law firm

Post by magp90 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:07 pm

I graduated from college this past May, and I am currently working as a paralegal in a law firm with attorneys who have gone to some of the schools to which I am applying. Is it worth getting a letter of recommendation from within the firm- perhaps even from the managing partner?

I'm inclined to say no, but I was hoping for some for some feedback before I somehow convince myself it's a good idea and look like a total idiot.

JohnV

Bronze

Re: Letter of recommendation from a law firm

Post by JohnV » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:35 am

I've asked similar questions. Response was mainly: Academic sources are better, but at the end of the day get someone who knows you fairly well and will say nice, personalized things about you. It is also advisable to get 2 academics and perhaps a 3rd professional source in some cases.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:15 am

Sounds reasonable! Thank you :)

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:33 am

I would get a letter, but get one from an attorney or partner that you worked with regularly. Their position in the firm doesn't really matter, so don't get a generic one from a managing partner who barely knows you when you can get a strong, specific letter from an associate who worked with you every day.

For applicants who aren't K-JDs, I think it's good to have a professional recommendation in addition to the standard academic ones.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”