Letter of Recommendation- already graduated. need help

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
senorhosh

Letter of Recommendation- already graduated. need help

Postby senorhosh » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:13 pm

I went to a large university. Rarely went to OH, and if I did, it was for a science class (already asked two science professors. They said they weren't comfortable writing for something outside of science. One of them wrote me a LOR before too so I don't think it was my performance).

I'm probably looking at generic LORs, which I'm ok with at this point. I graduated already so I would have to email them.

I emailed about 4 nonscience professors that I took 1-2 classes in and got an A.
It's been a while since I took some of their classes. They probably forgot who I was or never knew in the first place. I haven't gotten a response yet but it's only been a couple days. Anyone know how long it usually takes for professors to respond for something like this during the summer?

Anyone have experience with this? I would obviously go in person but I am no longer in the area and most of them aren't even in their office at this time.
Any sort of help or tip would be great.
Otherwise..... I'm mass mailing. haha.

tigershark

Re: Letter of Recommendation- already graduated. need help

Postby tigershark » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:21 pm

A lot of people on here say that LORs don't mean much, but I sort of disagree. I feel like having LORs (assuming they actually write them) from professors who never knew you in the first place/didn't know you well enough to remember you isn't a great idea.

How many years have you been out of undergrad? Maybe you can get one from a boss or something like that.

But if you're really holding out for those 4 non-science professors to write LORs, it's hard to say how long it will take them to respond. Some profs teach summer classes or do research in the summer, while others may be traveling or visiting other universities. You may want to call their departments and ask if they're around in during summer.

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:29 pm

tigershark wrote:A lot of people on here say that LORs don't mean much, but I sort of disagree. I feel like having LORs (assuming they actually write them) from professors who never knew you in the first place/didn't know you well enough to remember you isn't a great idea.

How many years have you been out of undergrad? Maybe you can get one from a boss or something like that.

But if you're really holding out for those 4 non-science professors to write LORs, it's hard to say how long it will take them to respond. Some profs teach summer classes or do research in the summer, while others may be traveling or visiting other universities. You may want to call their departments and ask if they're around in during summer.

Actually recently graduated. But I'm no longer in the area so that's the main problem.

Also, I'm worried about the fact that I'm just some random student who got an A out of their 100+ size class and is asking for a letter of rec.
I mean, people told me it shouldn't be a problem since it's part of their job descriptions. And a couple of people have told me they had done the exact same thing and received a letter. They performed very similar to their numbers regardless. But I'm still uneasy about all this.

Also, if anyone has any anecdotes or anything that would be helpful.

tigershark

Postby tigershark » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Is it just not possible for you to get more meaningful letters, like from a boss or manager? Because it will probably save you a lot of stress and frustration if you can go to someone you worked more closely with, someone who actually knows/remembers you, because they'll have an easier time writing a letter and you won't have to wait around hoping some random professor remembers you enough to half-ass a LOR.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:45 pm

I graduated last year I just sent out all my e-mails asking for recommendations today. I'm in a bit of a different situation, I went to a small school (4,000 undergrads) and was in a small major (in my major I think about 15 people graduated with me so finding people wasn't really that hard. My main concern was that they wouldn't remember me since I did graduate a year ago and I'm sure that they don't think about me everyday and they obviously have lives and other students to worry about now. One person I asked may not remember me, I may hear back from him in a couple days, a couple weeks, or never but he'd be a great reference and it never hurts to ask. I'm also from out of the area and don't have time to go back up to school (at least not when these people would be around) so I had to e-mail them, I just reminded them who I was, what class I took with them and when, and mentioned either a paper or project that I did for them.

One of the people I asked I'm using more as a character reference. I was a performance major for a bit and she was my flute teacher and I still wound up getting a Bachelor of Music so she taught me for 7 semesters and was honestly a teacher/therapist/Mom to me while I was school. She can't really say much about my more "academic" work but she knows me as a person much better than anyone else who taught me does. For you maybe the people who aren't comfortable writing for something outside of science can just write something that says you're a good person and you work hard and they're sure you would do well with anything you set your mind to.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:45 pm

tigershark wrote:Is it just not possible for you to get more meaningful letters, like from a boss or manager? Because it will probably save you a lot of stress and frustration if you can go to someone you worked more closely with, someone who actually knows/remembers you, because they'll have an easier time writing a letter and you won't have to wait around hoping some random professor remembers you enough to half-ass a LOR.

You need at least one academic LOR from a prof no matter what. Only exception to this is if you're old (as in, been out of school for a decade)

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:59 am

I had been out for 4 years and did not have an academic LOR. I think I performed about where my numbers should've.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”