Work experience question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zoomzoom88

Work experience question

Postby zoomzoom88 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:56 pm

Quick question on work exp. I have worked for a law firm seasonally (summer and winter) for almost a year and a half. I have also worked part time for two other attorneys does this technicAlly count as work exp. or just more of an intern exp? I guess I'm wondering what boost if any this will give me or If everyone an their mom has this on their resume . Thanks!

Re: Work experience question

Postby 2014 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:41 pm

WE doesn't really give you a boost anywhere unless it is something really unique and those certainly aren't. For the sake of Northwestern basically requiring 2 years WE, it has to be post graduate, and since you were working over school breaks I'm guessing it was while in school which does not count for NU.

soj

Postby soj » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:40 am

Everyone and their mom has this, but you should include it anyway so it doesn't look like you did nothing.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:25 am

2014 wrote:WE doesn't really give you a boost anywhere unless it is something really unique and those certainly aren't.

That's not true anymore. There are a lot of top schools that are putting a decent amount of weight on candidates with work experience over candidates with similar numbers and just undergrad experience. While NW is still the only place that will overlook poor numbers if you have solid WE, a lot of other schools are definitely upping the weight of WE.

To OP - those wouldn't count as the WE that schools are looking for to give you the boost for it. However, you should definitely include it on your resume.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:27 am

bp shinners wrote:
2014 wrote:WE doesn't really give you a boost anywhere unless it is something really unique and those certainly aren't.

That's not true anymore. There are a lot of top schools that are putting a decent amount of weight on candidates with work experience over candidates with similar numbers and just undergrad experience. While NW is still the only place that will overlook poor numbers if you have solid WE, a lot of other schools are definitely upping the weight of WE.

To OP - those wouldn't count as the WE that schools are looking for to give you the boost for it. However, you should definitely include it on your resume.

In your opinion, what would be?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:29 am

JohnV wrote:
bp shinners wrote:

In your opinion, what would be?

full-time, post-grad

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:54 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:In your opinion, what would be?

full-time, post-grad[/quote]

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”