T14 Legacy - Does it exist? Will it help my chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mr. Frodo

Bronze

T14 Legacy - Does it exist? Will it help my chances?

Post by Mr. Frodo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:57 am

My sister is a student at UPenn (Chem Engineering), and is going into her third year. Being a Drexel student myself (Civil Engineering), and due to the fact that Penn and Drexel seem to have a good relationship with each other, are my chances of admission increased at all, solely due to the fact my sister is there?

moonman157

Silver

Re: T14 Legacy - Does it exist? Will it help my chances?

Post by moonman157 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:04 am

No

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:04 am

moonman157 wrote:No

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:07 am

Nova wrote:
moonman157 wrote:No

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:09 am

Your situation isn't even a real legacy situation to begin with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:12 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Your situation isn't even a real legacy situation to begin with.
But... they both majored in engineering, and they're both in Philadelphia. That should help, right? I mean, how many brother/sister Philadelphia-area engineers can there be?

Q.E.D.: Legacy.

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:18 am

Lol, I know its not "true" legacy, but then why do most college applications ask if you have/had a family member that goes/went there?

Guess law school apps don't have this question?

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:28 am

Mr. Frodo wrote:Lol, I know its not "true" legacy, but then why do most college applications ask if you have/had a family member that goes/went there?

They do have that question. I assume it is to help them identity any candidates related to influential alumni or wealthy alumni donors. Has your sister donated a large amount of money to the school? Does she have much political influence?

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:35 am

Zero help. None.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:36 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
Mr. Frodo wrote:Lol, I know its not "true" legacy, but then why do most college applications ask if you have/had a family member that goes/went there?

They do have that question. I assume it is to help them identity any candidates related to influential alumni or wealthy alumni donors. Has your sister donated a large amount of money to the school? Does she have much political influence?
She just turned 20 :cry: . MLIA.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:44 am

Mr. Frodo wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:

ಠ_ಠ

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:49 am

You could use that kind of info in a 'why Penn' essay. It gives you a good reason to go to their school over others, which could help, I suppose, unless your numbers are totally wrong or you're already applying ED.

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:51 am

ಠ_ಠ
Just kidding man, I kind of expected this response. Doesn't matter though!

@piccolittle

Good idea.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:49 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:

I assume it is to help them identity any candidates related to influential alumni or wealthy alumni donors.
It also helps them see if you have any connections to the area. If you have family at Penn, you're more likely to consider attending there (or less likely, depending on your family).

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:09 pm

bp shinners wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:

I assume it is to help them identity any candidates related to influential alumni or wealthy alumni donors.
It also helps them see if you have any connections to the area. If you have family at Penn, you're more likely to consider attending there (or less likely, depending on your family).

I have a lot of connections to Philly. My hometown is 40 minutes away, my sister and I are both here, I've worked for a year and a half full time at two engineering firms here, etc. I guess I have some legit reasons for a Why Penn.

Should I say I will attend if admitted in my Why Penn? I've read about other people writing such bold statements in their Why X essays. I would attend if admitted though, I'm sure of it.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:11 pm

You're a legacy at Duke? Don't they have to give bids to legacies?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:26 pm

Mr. Frodo wrote:I have a lot of connections to Philly. My hometown is 40 minutes away, my sister and I are both here, I've worked for a year and a half full time at two engineering firms here, etc. I guess I have some legit reasons for a Why Penn.

Should I say I will attend if admitted in my Why Penn? I've read about other people writing such bold statements in their Why X essays. I would attend if admitted though, I'm sure of it.
you should just apply ED, then, unless your numbers are so good that you can expect $$ from Penn, in which case you shouldn't be wringing your hands about legacy status.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:30 pm

fatduck wrote: you should just apply ED, then, unless your numbers are so good that you can expect $$ from Penn, in which case you shouldn't be wringing your hands about legacy status.
No wringing of hands, I was just curious.

I don't think I'm going to ED either, as money would be nice. :mrgreen:

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Mr. Frodo wrote:
fatduck wrote: you should just apply ED, then, unless your numbers are so good that you can expect $$ from Penn, in which case you shouldn't be wringing your hands about legacy status.

then it doesn't make much sense to promise that you will attend penn above all others in your "why penn" essay. your ties will be fine to avoid YP.

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:42 pm

fatduck wrote:
Mr. Frodo wrote:

then it doesn't make much sense to promise that you will attend penn above all others in your "why penn" essay. your ties will be fine to avoid YP.
Are you insinuating that by promising to attend, without actually applying ED, my chances at getting money are the same as if I just applied ED?

I thought the adcomm may be more willing to give money to someone with the right numbers, that shows he really wants to go to the school, but may not willing to commit without $$, depending on how other applications turn out.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:45 pm

Mr. Frodo wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Mr. Frodo wrote:

Are you insinuating that by promising to attend, without actually applying ED, my chances at getting money are the same as if I just applied ED?

I thought the adcomm may be more willing to give money to someone with the right numbers, that shows he really wants to go to the school, but may not willing to commit without $$, depending on how other applications turn out.
i have no idea how penn makes scholarship decisions, but i'm sure that there's no point in saying "i will absolutely go to penn if admitted" when you have plenty of legitimate ties/evidence of sincere interest.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:49 pm

i have no idea how penn makes scholarship decisions, but i'm sure that there's no point in saying "i will absolutely go to penn if admitted" when you have plenty of legitimate ties/evidence of sincere interest.
I just don't want my ties to go unseen somehow is all I guess. You seem to be sure they wouldn't though. I wasn't sure how much I should spell this out for Penn, since I may have more ties to Philly than the majority of applicants.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:53 pm

Mr. Frodo wrote:
I just don't want my ties to go unseen somehow is all I guess. You seem to be sure they wouldn't though. I wasn't sure how much I should spell this out for Penn, since I may have more ties to Philly than the majority of applicants.
how good are your numbers? if you're a lock at HYS, then you might need to be a little more explicit about your undying love for penn, but i still wouldn't say that you will absolutely attend penn if admitted. i'd prefer to characterize it as your "top choice" or the like. say that you're from philly, you want to stay in philly, and penn is the perfect school for your goals. that's plenty, man.

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:06 pm

fatduck wrote:
Mr. Frodo wrote:
how good are your numbers? if you're a lock at HYS, then you might need to be a little more explicit about your undying love for penn, but i still wouldn't say that you will absolutely attend penn if admitted. i'd prefer to characterize it as your "top choice" or the like. say that you're from philly, you want to stay in philly, and penn is the perfect school for your goals. that's plenty, man.
I will do as you suggest, man. Thanks a lot.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:33 pm

Yeah OP, you need to find a middle ground where (assuming you have the numbers to go almost anywhere) you can tell Penn that you have genuine interest and ties to the school, but HYSCCN is obviously still attractive and (wink wink) should Penn provide some financial assistance, you would like to go there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”