Questions on ED T14

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby 2014 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:38 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:Numbers are currently 167 (June '12)/3.0 but I am retaking in Oct.

My rational for Duke was from someone on here who posted that they had a 171 and 3.1x got in off the waitlist. I know it was one person, but I'm pretty much sending an app to every school between 6-26 with a few lower ranked ones tossed in for safety/scholarship negotiating.

Save yourself the app fee on Duke you are absolutely not getting in with a 3.0.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:48 pm

2014 wrote:
MillerTheThriller wrote:Numbers are currently 167 (June '12)/3.0 but I am retaking in Oct.

My rational for Duke was from someone on here who posted that they had a 171 and 3.1x got in off the waitlist. I know it was one person, but I'm pretty much sending an app to every school between 6-26 with a few lower ranked ones tossed in for safety/scholarship negotiating.

up until I saw the post here with the splitter who said he was got of the WL Duke wasn't even on my radar. Once I get that hopeful 170+ in Oct. would it be worth it to request a fee waiver anyways? Even if I do get auto-dinged?

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:51 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:
2014 wrote:

up until I saw the post here with the splitter who said he was got of the WL Duke wasn't even on my radar. Once I get that hopeful 170+ in Oct. would it be worth it to request a fee waiver anyways? Even if I do get auto-dinged?

no

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:51 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:
2014 wrote:

It's always worth it to request a fee waiver. You probably won't get it, but it's worth an email. If you can scrounge up the money, it's not a bad idea to apply to Duke. With applications down, last cycle saw a lot of people overperforming.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Just so OP knows, because these two things seem to be conflated in this thread.

Duke Priority Track is not something you can apply for; the school will reach out to you if they want you to apply PT. Also, if you are accepted PT, it is non-binding (it is not ED).

OP should ED to UVA then ED to Georgetown if they are rejected from UVA.

Postby 2014 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:29 pm

Good clarification re: priority track, shows how little I know about it :P

Do not spend a penny more than the ~20 bucks LSAC charges you to send your transcript to apply to Duke with a 3.0 though. If they give you a fee waiver, great go for it, and by all means request one if they don't. However, your chances are as close to zero as they can be so it's not worth the actual app fee at all. The lowest they accepted this year is a 3.4 from what I can see, there's just no way that falls to 3.0 next year, those who think so are unreasonably optimistic (or pessimistic depending on whose POV).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”