Questions on ED T14

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Questions on ED T14

Postby TheThriller » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Being a splitter who is trying to create the best opportunity at a T14 acceptance I was wondering if anyone could offer any guidance to my ED strategy so I don't get myself into any trouble with addcoms. Most of this is focused on the lower 14 due to the circumstances of my gpa/lsat.


Schools who allow EDs at other schools

Penn
Mich
UVA
GT
Cornell (EA)

Schools that allow an ED after another ED denail/RD app transfer
Duke

Schools that do not allow any other ED
NW

Would it be then OK to send simultaneous apps to MVP, GULC and Cornell and which ever gets back to me first with an acceptance (I assume the order would go V then GULC then the rest) I could withdraw my apps from the other schools? If I get denied I would send as longshot app at Duke (I am below their gpa floor). For NW I would just RD.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby Samara » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:49 pm

If by that you mean ED to multiple schools at once, no, you cannot do that. You can only have an open ED app to one school at a time. That's kind of the point of binding ED.

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby TheThriller » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Samara wrote:If by that you mean ED to multiple schools at once, no, you cannot do that. You can only have an open ED app to one school at a time.


Did not know that, thanks Samara!

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby Samara » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:51 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:
Samara wrote:If by that you mean ED to multiple schools at once, no, you cannot do that. You can only have an open ED app to one school at a time.


Did not know that, thanks Samara!

No problem. UVA usually gets back to ED applicants within 2-3 weeks if you apply early in the cycle. So, if that would be a good fit for you, I would ED to them in Sept and then ED to wherever else if you don't get in.

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Was wrong.
Last edited by FloridaCoastalorbust on Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
SaintsTheMetal
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:08 am

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Read the exact text of the schools' agreements you plan on EDing to.

For example, Penn:
"Early Decision applicants applying to the Early Decision program at Penn Law commit themselves to matriculate at Penn Law if
admitted pursuant to the Early Decision program. An Early Decision applicant to Penn Law may not apply to a binding Early
Decision program at another law school during the same admissions cycle.
Applicants applying to Penn Law's Early Decision
program may apply to other law schools on a non-binding Early Notification or Regular decision basis, provided that they agree that
(1) if accepted to Penn Law as an Early Decision applicant, they will immediately withdraw in writing their applications to all other
law schools and (2) they will not initiate any new applications after they have been informed of their acceptance to Penn Law under
the Early Decision program."

So you would not be able to ED there after EDing UVa

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby 2014 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:06 pm

What are your numbers?

And re: schools like NU and Penn that have those terms in their contract. If you apply to those schools first and they deny or hold you, you really shouldn't feel like you are precluded from EDing elsewhere at that point. They have control over their own admissions practices but they would likely have no remedy against you for pursuing a subsequent ED elsewhere if that school allows it.

It depends on your numbers but your best bet is probably Duke --> UVA --> Michigan --> GULC.

User avatar
lovejopd
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby lovejopd » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:59 pm

2014 wrote:What are your numbers?

And re: schools like NU and Penn that have those terms in their contract. If you apply to those schools first and they deny or hold you, you really shouldn't feel like you are precluded from EDing elsewhere at that point. They have control over their own admissions practices but they would likely have no remedy against you for pursuing a subsequent ED elsewhere if that school allows it.

It depends on your numbers but your best bet is probably Duke --> UVA --> Michigan --> GULC.


Yeah, I really don't understand why NU and Penn have this pesky terms that confuse applicants in terms of multipl EDs(not simultaneously). I see why schools want to accept applicants who have never EDed before they apply for ED at NU or Penn. But I am still confused that they really mean to have control over applicants who are waitlisted or rejected. Can anyone elaborate on this?... :shock:

It depends on your numbers but your best bet is probably Duke --> UVA --> Michigan --> GULC.

Also, would you explain the reasoning of EDs in this order? I know UVA has a fast result in 2 or 3 weeks, but why did you put Duke before UVA? Is it relevant to the ED deadline?...
I am really interested in this strategy as a possible reverse-splitter :| Thx!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by lovejopd on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:03 pm

Tagged

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:06 pm

2014 wrote:What are your numbers?

And re: schools like NU and Penn that have those terms in their contract. If you apply to those schools first and they deny or hold you, you really shouldn't feel like you are precluded from EDing elsewhere at that point. They have control over their own admissions practices but they would likely have no remedy against you for pursuing a subsequent ED elsewhere if that school allows it.

It depends on your numbers but your best bet is probably Duke --> UVA --> Michigan --> GULC.

and there may be a loophole in that. If you apply ED to Penn and are moved to RD or denied, are you technically no longer an "Early Decision applicant" and thus no longer bound by the "no EDing elsewhere" policy?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby Samara » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:20 pm

To clarify, the Cornell EA is non-binding, so you can apply there EA without consequence.

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby Yukos » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:51 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
2014 wrote:What are your numbers?

And re: schools like NU and Penn that have those terms in their contract. If you apply to those schools first and they deny or hold you, you really shouldn't feel like you are precluded from EDing elsewhere at that point. They have control over their own admissions practices but they would likely have no remedy against you for pursuing a subsequent ED elsewhere if that school allows it.

It depends on your numbers but your best bet is probably Duke --> UVA --> Michigan --> GULC.

and there may be a loophole in that. If you apply ED to Penn and are moved to RD or denied, are you technically no longer an "Early Decision applicant" and thus no longer bound by the "no EDing elsewhere" policy?


Actually, an interesting point. Once you're rejected, you're no longer an "applicant" right? So you can ED somewhere else since Penn's language doesn't refer to you any longer (though it once did). Or is my little 0L mind over-thinking Contracts?

User avatar
goden
Posts: 2271
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby goden » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:50 pm

Yukos wrote:Actually, an interesting point. Once you're rejected, you're no longer an "applicant" right? So you can ED somewhere else since Penn's language doesn't refer to you any longer (though it once did). Or is my little 0L mind over-thinking Contracts?

This is relevant to my interests. Especially with Penn and Duke having 2 rounds of EDs, whether you can ED other schools after getting WL/dinged by NU/Penn can really affect one's application strategy.

Also, is applying ED at schools like GULC or UVA late in the cycle (like in February) more likely to result in acceptance than applying RD early in the cycle?

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby 2014 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 am

lovejopd wrote:Yeah, I really don't understand why NU and Penn have this pesky terms that confuse applicants in terms of multipl EDs(not simultaneously). I see why schools want to accept applicants who have never EDed before they apply for ED at NU or Penn. But I am still confused that they really mean to have control over applicants who are waitlisted or rejected. Can anyone elaborate on this?... :shock:

No school wants to play second fiddle, they are just trying to make it such that ED truly means "First choice". As I said though, I'm 99% sure they can't and won't do anything to you if you ED to a school after them, they only have control over your app to their school.

Also, would you explain the reasoning of EDs in this order? I know UVA has a fast result in 2 or 3 weeks, but why did you put Duke before UVA? Is it relevant to the ED deadline?...
I am really interested in this strategy as a possible reverse-splitter :| Thx!! :mrgreen:

Duke has a priority track application that they make available early on. Should you be eligible for that (and I have no idea if you will be), they have a similar quick turn around as UVA. From there UVA is obvious, then for the latter two you are looking at CCNMPNG and since you are more worried about getting in than praying for T6 and P and N are dicks with their language that leaves M and G. G lets you submit in like January and is the least desirable so Michigan should come first. If you don't get priority track for Duke and they won't give it to you, I would probably just do UVA first and choose between Duke and Mich for the 2nd.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby mr.hands » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:34 am

Just for reference, duke priority track starts right around 3.5, 170. Also, if you aren't at/above a median at UVA, an ED is basically useless (unless you're a URM)

You mentioned you're a splitter. What are your numbers? Duke reeeally doesn't look kindly on splitters. UVA gets hard for splitters though, as does NU

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:24 am

mr.hands wrote:Just for reference, duke priority track starts right around 3.5, 170. Also, if you aren't at/above a median at UVA, an ED is basically useless (unless you're a URM)

You mentioned you're a splitter. What are your numbers? Duke reeeally doesn't look kindly on splitters. UVA gets hard for splitters though, as does NU

I got Duke's priority track invite with a 176 and 3.5 but a friend with 178 and 3.5 did not.

User avatar
lovejopd
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby lovejopd » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:52 am

2014 wrote:
lovejopd wrote:Yeah, I really don't understand why NU and Penn have this pesky terms that confuse applicants in terms of multipl EDs(not simultaneously). I see why schools want to accept applicants who have never EDed before they apply for ED at NU or Penn. But I am still confused that they really mean to have control over applicants who are waitlisted or rejected. Can anyone elaborate on this?... :shock:

No school wants to play second fiddle, they are just trying to make it such that ED truly means "First choice". As I said though, I'm 99% sure they can't and won't do anything to you if you ED to a school after them, they only have control over your app to their school.

Also, would you explain the reasoning of EDs in this order? I know UVA has a fast result in 2 or 3 weeks, but why did you put Duke before UVA? Is it relevant to the ED deadline?...
I am really interested in this strategy as a possible reverse-splitter :| Thx!! :mrgreen:

Duke has a priority track application that they make available early on. Should you be eligible for that (and I have no idea if you will be), they have a similar quick turn around as UVA. From there UVA is obvious, then for the latter two you are looking at CCNMPNG and since you are more worried about getting in than praying for T6 and P and N are dicks with their language that leaves M and G. G lets you submit in like January and is the least desirable so Michigan should come first. If you don't get priority track for Duke and they won't give it to you, I would probably just do UVA first and choose between Duke and Mich for the 2nd.

Thank you so much!! Do you think the same ED strategy(Duke/UVA --> Michigan-->Georgetown) work for October Test Takers or only for those who have June LSAT? I really appreciate your help again in advance!

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby Renne Walker » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:32 am

Back in my OL days I remember reading that someone had ED to Mich and then decided to go somewhere else. Problem was that Mich accepted their ED and the whole thing became an issue, meaning that Mich would not release them. I do not recall how (or if) the matter was resolved. All the back and forth on the thread regarded that an ED was a binding signed commitment. If I remember correctly, the downside of an ED is that your chances for scholly $ are greatly diminished. So if you ED and they accept, then some school comes along and gives you a full ride, you are pretty much stuck with an ED at the full sticker price. As I understand it. . .

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:19 am

Renne Walker wrote:Back in my OL days I remember reading that someone had ED to Mich and then decided to go somewhere else. Problem was that Mich accepted their ED and the whole thing became an issue, meaning that Mich would not release them. I do not recall how (or if) the matter was resolved. All the back and forth on the thread regarded that an ED was a binding signed commitment. If I remember correctly, the downside of an ED is that your chances for scholly $ are greatly diminished. So if you ED and they accept, then some school comes along and gives you a full ride, you are pretty much stuck with an ED at the full sticker price. As I understand it. . .

you are, however, allowed to switch to RD before they render a decision

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby sunynp » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:02 am

The only other option is to wait out the year. If you are accepted ED you can still change your mind. You just have to withdraw and not go to school for that year. You can reapply to other schools the following cycle

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby 2014 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:04 pm

lovejopd wrote:Thank you so much!! Do you think the same ED strategy(Duke/UVA --> Michigan-->Georgetown) work for October Test Takers or only for those who have June LSAT? I really appreciate your help again in advance!

This would work but the window is extremely tight. The October LSAT is Oct 6th meaning scores will almost surely be out on Friday, October 26th. Assuming you had your app submitted to UVA prior to that (you would have to), it would go complete the next week and the 2 week window would start. They typically take 11-12 days to decide so you would hopefully find out prior to the 15th at which point if you get bad news you would immediately switch your already complete Michigan app to ED. Georgetown apparently takes ED apps until March so that isn't an issue.

The key is just to make sure that your UVA and Michigan apps are submitted as early in October as you can get them ready.

Note that the timing would work way better if you did Michigan first, but doing that requires you to be neutral or prefer Michigan over UVA and to be ok with the summer start.

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby TheThriller » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Numbers are currently 167 (June '12)/3.0 but I am retaking in Oct.

My rational for Duke was from someone on here who posted that they had a 171 and 3.1x got in off the waitlist. I know it was one person, but I'm pretty much sending an app to every school between 6-26 with a few lower ranked ones tossed in for safety/scholarship negotiating.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby skers » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:08 pm

Duke seems to care more about gpa than peers do. UVA is probably your best bet.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:30 pm

Would it be possible to ED NW first and ED Penn in January if held or moved to RD at NW?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Questions on ED T14

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:32 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Would it be possible to ED NW first and ED Penn in January if held or moved to RD at NW?

No. Both schools stipulate that you cannot ED to any other school if you ED to NU or Penn. If NU continues the full scholarship ED program, it's pointless to ED there unless you are competitive for the scholarship or it's top choice.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], lawcapture, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests