LOR questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
senorhosh

LOR questions

Postby senorhosh » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:24 am

1. Do law schools see how many LORs you request? I was thinking about asking 4-5 different professors, just in case some of them don't respond or are too late in the process, even though I will only send 2.
2. Do I need to purchase CAS before asking my professors?
3. Is it advisable to ask a professor I already asked 2 years ago (for a research program) to write another LOR for LS? (I did not get accepted but I suspect it may have been other factors)
4. I'm emailing them today (since I'm outside of the area). Based on experience, do you think the LORs will be ready for my app in Oct?

Thanks

SaintsTheMetal

Re: LOR questions

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:14 am

senorhosh wrote:1. Do law schools see how many LORs you request? I was thinking about asking 4-5 different professors, just in case some of them don't respond or are too late in the process, even though I will only send 2.
2. Do I need to purchase CAS before asking my professors?
3. Is it advisable to ask a professor I already asked 2 years ago (for a research program) to write another LOR for LS? (I did not get accepted but I suspect it may have been other factors)
4. I'm emailing them today (since I'm outside of the area). Based on experience, do you think the LORs will be ready for my app in Oct?

Thanks

1. Don't think so, but I haven't applied before
2. No
3. Sounds fine, if you think he is still a solid recommender
4. Probably, but make sure to give your professors a deadline. I asked mine at the end of school in May and gave them a deadline of July 31. They claimed to have finished and sent them in by the July 4th weekend (so 2 months to write,) and the LSAC marked them both received on July 13. So it took LSAC about 2 weeks to process my 2nd letter, and from start to finish about 2.5 months.

North

Postby North » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:15 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
senorhosh wrote:2. Do I need to purchase CAS before asking my professors?

2. No
I would buy CAS. When you ask for an LoR you should provide your reccommender with a stamped, addressed envelope for them to use to send the letter to LSAC. When they send it, though, the LOR must be accompanied by a barcoded LSAC form that they use to match the LOR to your file. You should provide that form long with the envelope. I suppose you don't have to buy it now, but it's good for five years, helps you avoid having to bring them the form later, and is something you have to purchase anyway. So, I'd just get it. My bad if this is incoherent, just woke up.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:31 pm

North wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:
senorhosh wrote:2. Do I need to purchase CAS before asking my professors?

2. No
I would buy CAS. When you ask for an LoR you should provide your reccommender with a stamped, addressed envelope for them to use to send the letter to LSAC. When they send it, though, the LOR must be accompanied by a barcoded LSAC form that they use to match the LOR to your file. You should provide that form long with the envelope. I suppose you don't have to buy it now, but it's good for five years, helps you avoid having to bring them the form later, and is something you have to purchase anyway. So, I'd just get it. My bad if this is incoherent, just woke up.

You can print that form before you've purchased CAS. I didn't get CAS until well after

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Well I was going to ask them to fax the letters in. Since I'm no longer in the area, can I just ask them now, then email the CAS forms/barcode so they can fax it with the LOR? I guess that seems like a hassle for them but I'm thinking I have no choice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”