Should I write a DS for HLS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
honeybadger12

Should I write a DS for HLS?

Postby honeybadger12 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:33 pm

I've gotten conflicting opinions on the ds. Some people say everyone should write a ds because it gives you fifty percent more space to talk to the admissions committee and you might seem lazy if you don't. Other people say that because I'm a white male I should stay away from a ds. If I'm not sure I'd have anything great to say in a ds (my ps will address diversity to some extent) would skipping it a) hurt me b) help me or c) doesn't matter?

SaintsTheMetal

Re: Should I write a DS for HLS?

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:09 am

Consensus is write it only if you have something meaningful to say. If you make up some bullshit, the ad-coms aren't stupid and will know it. It could then hurt you, or best-case scenario, not help at all.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:54 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Consensus is write it only if you have something meaningful to say. If you make up some bullshit, the ad-coms aren't stupid and will know it. It could then hurt you, or best-case scenario, not help at all.

+1

I've read a few diversity statements written by white males. The best come across as boring and/or exaggerated; the worst come across as bitter. They also show poor judgment, IMO.

That said, I'm sure there are white males who could write great diversity statements - those who have done things that make them genuinely diverse. If you spent your childhood in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea with your missionary parents, for example, write a DS. If you grew up in the suburbs, don't bother.

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I grew up in poverty (until 13), but I'll probably mention that in my PS. Some people have also said I could write a DS about being a small business owner, but I'd rather not do that to be honest. As long as it won't hurt me to just stick to the PS, I'll probably do that.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:12 pm

giuseppes12 wrote:I grew up in poverty (until 13)

That would make a good DS, IMO.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:39 pm

Nova wrote:

but make sure it actually is poverty...like damm son you were fucking po white trash....not that you had to live in an apt until you were 13.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Nova wrote:

depending on the level of poverty and the extent to which it formed you perspective on life, this is credited

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”