LOR from UG Thesis Advisor (Non-Traditional) ... Advisable? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
heebie-jeebies

New

LOR from UG Thesis Advisor (Non-Traditional) ... Advisable?

Post by heebie-jeebies » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:21 am

I'm a non-traditional applicant who has been out of school for 10+ years, and I'm wondering whether it would be worthwhile to contact my undergraduate thesis advisor (I was also in several of his seminars), who is still teaching at my alma mater. I still have all the papers that I wrote in his classes, as well as my undergraduate thesis, which would probably jog his memory of my writing, aptitude, and thought processes. Would such a letter as he might write at this point in time be (completely?) irrelevant, given that it's been so many years?

For a more recent recommendation, I'm planning to ask my former supervisor, with whom I've worked in 3 internet/tech companies over the past 12 years.

If it is not advisable to attempt the LOR from my former advisor, what additional LOR would be beneficial to include? That of another manager/employer?

top30man

Silver

Re: LOR from UG Thesis Advisor (Non-Traditional) ... Advisable?

Post by top30man » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:24 am

I think its a fine idea. Schools usually want at least one academic reference anyway. And honestly, don't sweat it. LORs are not the most important part of the app by far.

Ti Malice

Gold

Re: LOR from UG Thesis Advisor (Non-Traditional) ... Advisable?

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:02 am

heebie-jeebies wrote:Would such a letter as he might write at this point in time be (completely?) irrelevant, given that it's been so many years?
On the contrary. Securing a very strong academic recommendation after having been out of undergrad for so long indicates to adcomms that the professor found you to be an impressive and memorable student.

By the way, adcomms generally prefer academic over professional recommendations by quite a bit. Get another strong academic recommendation if you can.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”