What should I do? Apply for 2013 or wait?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What should I do? Apply for 2013 or wait?

Postby MGoZete » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:50 pm

Here's the situation: Presently have 3.4 GPA and will sit for the October LSAT. Presently testing in the low 160s, but I'm working hard to raise that. Putting in 4 hours a day and will end up taking 30+ LSATs before it's all said and done. I attend a big university and I think I'm going to have some trouble getting LoRs. I wasn't wise in my early years of undergrad and didn't reach out to Profs during office hours and the last really good relationships I had with grad student instructors was 2 years ago when I was a sophomore. I did extremely well (As) in two of those courses sophomore year where I had a fairly good relationship with TAs, but nothing beyond classroom interaction and doing well on exams, papers, etc.

Come the fall, I'll be taking 2 courses with a professor who I had for a small sized class last semester. I did okay in the class (B+), but I don't think she knows me too well or has a good enough opinion of me to write a great rec. Fall 2012, I'll have her for another small upper level course and a lecture based course as well. I'm afraid this will end up being a lukewarm rec. Also in the upcoming fall term, I'll be taking another small upper level course with professor who I previously had, but he probably doesn't know I exist. I did well (A-) in his previous class sophomore year. I was planning on gunning the three classes I have in the fall (going to office hours, putting more effort than I ever have) with the hopes that I get a decent LoR from both profs just before the 2012 is done.

I want to go straight from undergrad to law school, but given these circumstances, my LoRs might be hard to get or might be detrimental to getting accepted anywhere decent. What should I do? Should I go track down the grad student instructors from a while ago and hope they remember who I was? Or do I rely on getting recs from 2 professors who don't me well in the fall? Should I just wait, develop the prof relationships I have, get a job, and apply for 2014 cycle?

The Platypus

Re: What should I do? Apply for 2013 or wait?

Postby The Platypus » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:55 pm

Just because you can't get sterling LOR's doesn't mean you delay a cycle. LSAT>GPA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LOR

Postby 2014 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:20 pm

Delaying is almost always a good idea, and your situation is pretty standard. Use the year to bump your GPA and kill the LSAT and use the time between graduation in 2013 and LS matriculation in 2014 to make money/travel/relax/retake/put your app together/etc. Do what it takes to hit 170, you can absolutely do it and you will be extremely grateful you did so when it comes time to get a job.

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Take the year off

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”