Just decided to retake/reapply - looking for advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
boredtodeath

Just decided to retake/reapply - looking for advice

Postby boredtodeath » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:49 pm

Don't really know what board this would go in so...

I just decided to forego attending law school this year and retake/reapply. Having said that, the October test is fast approaching and I am somewhat worried about having ample time to study in order to increase my LSAT score (the whole point of not going this year). A little info about my cycle: 3.0/165, was considering Fordham at near sticker and Emory with 78k. Withdrew from Dozo with 120k and places like W&M and Wake with small schollys.

My main question is whether or not people think I have enough time before the October test to prepare. I would have nothing else to do besides study, but is ~7 weeks enough time to really put the work in to up my score? I did very little studying to get my 165, took maybe 6 PTs, topped out at 168. I'm shooting for the T14 so I obviously need to break 172-173. If I was going to take the October test, my plan would be to go back through thoroughly the PowerScore Bibles (which I had for my first test but barely read through) and probably take a PT every day. Would this be a solid plan of attack if I'm looking to raise my score by close to 10 points? Or is it too much prep packed into too little time?

If the answer is no, it's not enough time. Does it make any sense to take the December test? I'm thinking it doesn't because as a splitter it would behoove me to get apps in early, and try to ED at UVA, etc. My next option would be June though and taking off almost 2 full years is not what I had in mind. Plus it seems like this next cycle will be even better for splitter applicants and who knows what might happen the cycle after that.

So ya, sorry for the longwinded post, but this is my dilemma right now. As always, any advice is appreciated.

mushybrain

Re: Just decided to retake/reapply - looking for advice

Postby mushybrain » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:39 am

A PT every day is just not practical. Older PTs are less relevant, for one, so you don't have as much useful material as you might think and you'll burn out.

Moving up that many points is much easier said than done, especially in that point range. It might be doable depending on where your problem areas are since you have seven weeks dedicated to studying alone, but that's really pushing it. Have you identified your areas for improvement? If, for example, you have a time budgeting issue, I think that's enough time to address that if you managed to score a 165 as-is.

I would hesitate to do a December test but I think those who did it should chime in. I did October and it worked out fine but I still felt late. If you don't get your score where you want, AND you complete your apps that late, you might be right back where you were. Is that an acceptable outcome for you?

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:22 am

I think that you may be a bit pessimistic. A 170 would put you in good shape at UVA and GULC with ED. Who knows what will happen RD as well, with applications going down even more. A 165 can be a tough spot, though the good news is that getting 6 or 7 more questions right would be a 169-170. That is a very doable goal.

boredtodeath

Postby boredtodeath » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:19 am

Also, logistically, does anyone know whether or not I need to get new LORs or can I use the same ones from last cycle? I'm assuming I'd have to write a new PS though right?

My other concern is if I don't improve my score, I'd have an even worse shot of getting back into the schools I already was accepted at this cycle, right?

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:23 am

boredtodeath wrote:Also, logistically, does anyone know whether or not I need to get new LORs or can I use the same ones from last cycle? I'm assuming I'd have to write a new PS though right?

My other concern is if I don't improve my score, I'd have an even worse shot of getting back into the schools I already was accepted at this cycle, right?

You can use the same LORs. And I doubt it, honestly. With applications down so much, I feel like schools would be happy to maintain their medians.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”