DWI and law school prospects

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jgroen91

DWI and law school prospects

Postby jgroen91 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:45 pm

This an unfortunate first post. I was recently charged with DWI in my home state of New Mexico. I am a junior at UNM and would like to attend law school. Given that I do not have any priors, would a misdemeanor conviction prevent admission? If not, how should it be explained on an application? Thanks for the feedback in advance.

DocHawkeye

Re: DWI and law school prospects

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Based on my experience, it will have no impact on your admissions cycle unless it is part of a larger alcohol/drug problem as indicated by arrests or your disciplinary record. I got into every school my numbers indicated that I would. My entire addendum for a DUI I received in 2004:

Case ID: XXXXX ABCDXXXXXX Date: 10/10/2004 Location: City, State Charge: [specific code dection number] Oper Veh Wh Int (OWI) / 1ST OFF (SRMS) Court: Jurisdiction, State Outcome: Plead Guilty

This charge, Operating a Motor Vehicle While Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs was made based on evidence discovered at the scene of the car collision described above. It represents a spectacular lapse in good judgment. I had spent the day celebrating with friends and did not carefully consider the implications and dangers of my driving home. Drugs were not involved. Since this time, I have modified my life choices and do not intend to repeat this egregious error.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Get a lawyer & work out a deal.

jgroen91

Postby jgroen91 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Alright that is a relief if a convicted murderer got accepted then I guess so can I. And I appreciate the example from DocHawkeye. Hopefully my lawyer gets something done. Thanks again ya'll.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:29 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Based on my experience, it will have no impact on your admissions cycle unless it is part of a larger alcohol/drug problem as indicated by arrests or your disciplinary record. I got into every school my numbers indicated that I would. My entire addendum for a DUI I received in 2004:

Case ID: XXXXX ABCDXXXXXX Date: 10/10/2004 Location: City, State Charge: [specific code dection number] Oper Veh Wh Int (OWI) / 1ST OFF (SRMS) Court: Jurisdiction, State Outcome: Plead Guilty

This charge, Operating a Motor Vehicle While Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs was made based on evidence discovered at the scene of the car collision described above. It represents a spectacular lapse in good judgment. I had spent the day celebrating with friends and did not carefully consider the implications and dangers of my driving home. Drugs were not involved. Since this time, I have modified my life choices and do not intend to repeat this egregious error.

This is a perfect dislcosure. Use it as your template.

Postby 1776 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:06 pm

jgroen91 wrote:This an unfortunate first post. I was recently charged with DWI in my home state of New Mexico. I am a junior at UNM and would like to attend law school. Given that I do not have any priors, would a misdemeanor conviction prevent admission? If not, how should it be explained on an application? Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Don't lie and show remorse. Don't do it again, and don't get in trouble that involves alcohol.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”