transfer to JD program (or JD/PHD) from PHD Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
oxbb

New

transfer to JD program (or JD/PHD) from PHD

Post by oxbb » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi,
is anyone in the same boat? what's your experience (transition) like? I have been thinking of transiting to law school (jd/phd preferred) coz my interest evolves and changes over the time...

thanks!

banjo

Silver

Re: transfer to JD program (or JD/PHD) from PHD

Post by banjo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:52 pm

I think this is a good option if you really, really love your PhD field and don't mind the time commitment. I considered it at one point, but didn't think I met either of those criteria. Logistically, it shouldn't be too difficult if your field pairs well with law (philosophy, political science, history, etc.). People set up ad hoc JD/PhD programs all the time. PM if you want.

reallysearch

Bronze

Post by reallysearch » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:08 pm

I think it depends on the field. Some PhD programs specifically prepare the students for the academia and discourage non-academic pursuit (so you really need to know whether you want to do research or practice law).

But for some other fields, (international trade for example) law school and PhD programs are actually trying to answer the same question using different approaches, so JD and PhD is a great choice.

oxbb

New

Post by oxbb » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:51 pm

banjo wrote:I think this is a good option if you really, really love your PhD field and don't mind the time commitment. I considered it at one point, but didn't think I met either of those criteria. Logistically, it shouldn't be too difficult if your field pairs well with law (philosophy, political science, history, etc.). People set up ad hoc JD/PhD programs all the time. PM if you want.
Thanks Banjo! I PMed you already:P
oxbb wrote:Hi,
is anyone in the same boat? what's your experience (transition) like? I have been thinking of transiting to law school (jd/phd preferred) coz my interest evolves and changes over the time...
reallysearch wrote:I think it depends on the field. Some PhD programs specifically prepare the students for the academia and discourage non-academic pursuit (so you really need to know whether you want to do research or practice law).

But for some other fields, (international trade for example) law school and PhD programs are actually trying to answer the same question using different approaches, so JD and PhD is a great choice.
Hi reallysearch, I actually lean more towards being a practitioner (e.g., refugee law/immigration law) with a strong social science background than just being in academia. academia is a very small circle. I'm concerned about how the committee would view my application (transferring from phd to jd?) would that be considered as a disadvantage? any thoughts would be appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”