May 2013 grad; Fall 2013 Applicant - when to take LSAT?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
BoysenberryJam
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:18 am

May 2013 grad; Fall 2013 Applicant - when to take LSAT?

Postby BoysenberryJam » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:31 am

I'm graduating this coming May, with my intention being to take a year off and work. Ideally, I can grab in-state tuition somewhere other than my home state, whose public university is considered second-tier. I almost took the LSAT this past June, withdrawing at the last minute due to unpreparedness; my goal is to get above 170 on the test, or at least in the high 160s. On my last practice (of which, admittedly, there were only four, in about "four months" of studying, ...during which time I actually studied for three weeks total), I only barely cracked the 160s.

When should I next try to take the exam? This October is too near. Maybe December? February? Next June would be doable except I'll be preparing to graduate, find a job, and move. Who knows what my work schedule will be like next fall ('13).
Last edited by BoysenberryJam on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5977
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: May 2012 grad; Fall 2012 Applicant - when to take LSAT?

Postby 2014 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:08 am

December has had some of the more favorable "curves" in the past several years and you have sufficient time to start now and prep for it so I would do that. It also allows you to retake in June or October should you not feel happy with how you did.

Also I think you mean 2013 throughout your title and post.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: May 2012 grad; Fall 2012 Applicant - when to take LSAT?

Postby smaug_ » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:11 am

2014 wrote:December has had some of the more favorable "curves" in the past several years and you have sufficient time to start now and prep for it so I would do that. It also allows you to retake in June or October should you not feel happy with how you did.


Given the way that the LSAT is equalized, the more favorable curve is meaningless as the test is harder.

If you don't feel you have time for October, take it in December. Otherwise, you can take it in October and December. I think that's what I would do.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: May 2012 grad; Fall 2012 Applicant - when to take LSAT?

Postby Nova » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:18 am

hibiki wrote:
2014 wrote:December has had some of the more favorable "curves" in the past several years and you have sufficient time to start now and prep for it so I would do that. It also allows you to retake in June or October should you not feel happy with how you did.


Given the way that the LSAT is equalized, the more favorable curve is meaningless as the test is harder.

If you don't feel you have time for October, take it in December. Otherwise, you can take it in October and December. I think that's what I would do.


Many who prepare for the LSAT do better on difficult tests with looser curves. So, its not MEANINGLESS. Equating is imperfect. I would take a larger margin for error any day.

OP, you have December/Feb/June '13/Oct '13 to take the test. Might as well wait and take it when you are most prepared. Doesn't really matter when.

I personally wouldnt take Feb because a nondisclosed test would bother me. I would like to see where I messed up. I think you should take it for the first time by next June, at least, so you have Oct/Dec '13 to retake if necessary. If you want to get it out of the way this Dec, that would be fine too.
Last edited by Nova on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: May 2012 grad; Fall 2012 Applicant - when to take LSAT?

Postby smaug_ » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:21 am

Nova wrote:
Many who prepare for the LSAT do better on difficult tests with looser curves. So, its not MEANINGLESS. Equating is imperfect. I would take a larger margin for error any day.

OP, you have December/Feb/June '13/Oct '13 to take the test. Might as well wait and take it when you are most prepared. Doesn't really matter when.


Your point is well taken. I would guess that if the games section is making the curve forgiving, those who study do better regardless. That said, I'd like to know how you back up your statement.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: May 2012 grad; Fall 2012 Applicant - when to take LSAT?

Postby Nova » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:40 am

hibiki wrote:
Nova wrote:
Many who prepare for the LSAT do better on difficult tests with looser curves. So, its not MEANINGLESS. Equating is imperfect. I would take a larger margin for error any day.

OP, you have December/Feb/June '13/Oct '13 to take the test. Might as well wait and take it when you are most prepared. Doesn't really matter when.


Your point is well taken. I would guess that if the games section is making the curve forgiving, those who study do better regardless. That said, I'd like to know how you back up your statement.


Not sure what you want me to back up.

Equating produces a band of 7 points. Some test takers prefer a looser curve because they tend to perform better in those situations. Personally, I tend to score higher in my band when the curve is loose, so I prefer looser curves.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: May 2012 grad; Fall 2012 Applicant - when to take LSAT?

Postby smaug_ » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:47 am

Nova wrote:
hibiki wrote:
Nova wrote:
Many who prepare for the LSAT do better on difficult tests with looser curves. So, its not MEANINGLESS. Equating is imperfect. I would take a larger margin for error any day.

OP, you have December/Feb/June '13/Oct '13 to take the test. Might as well wait and take it when you are most prepared. Doesn't really matter when.


Your point is well taken. I would guess that if the games section is making the curve forgiving, those who study do better regardless. That said, I'd like to know how you back up your statement.


Not sure what you want me to back up.

Equating produces a band of 7 points. Some test takers prefer a looser curve because they tend to perform better in those situations. Personally, I tend to score higher in my band when the curve is loose, so I prefer looser curves.


Which is good for you, but I don't think there is a way to back up the assertion that people who study generally do better on looser curves. I have no idea how I performed relative to curves but now I'm pretty curious.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: May 2012 grad; Fall 2012 Applicant - when to take LSAT?

Postby Nova » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Nova wrote:Many who prepare for the LSAT do better on difficult tests with looser curves.

=/=
hibiki wrote:people who study generally do better on looser curves.

Never asserted that. Just saying it happens.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5977
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: May 2012 grad; Fall 2012 Applicant - when to take LSAT?

Postby 2014 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:07 pm

hibiki wrote:
2014 wrote:December has had some of the more favorable "curves" in the past several years and you have sufficient time to start now and prep for it so I would do that. It also allows you to retake in June or October should you not feel happy with how you did.


Given the way that the LSAT is equalized, the more favorable curve is meaningless as the test is harder.

If you don't feel you have time for October, take it in December. Otherwise, you can take it in October and December. I think that's what I would do.

It depends actually. If you miss questions because of actual difficulty then the tests are equalized, more hard questions that you tend to do worse on means more chances to miss them.
If like me you miss them because of stupidity, misreading, etc, with little regard to the difficulty level, then the "curve" is great.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138, split_777, thepsychedelic and 6 guests