Study Abroad--transcript necessary?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nickb285

Study Abroad--transcript necessary?

Postby nickb285 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:21 pm

I did a student exchange program my junior year of UG, it lasted one semester and gave me a total of 9 hours of recognized transfer credit. My UG school lists the 9 hours of (ungraded) transfer credit on my transcript, but doesn't factor it into my GPA calculation. LSAC just received my transcript and does not list the credits at all, stating that I completed 124 hours of coursework in my UG instead of the 133 that my transcript lists. On the LSAC website it states:

"Do not have a transcript sent from an international institution if your bachelor's degree is from a US, US territory, or Canadian school, AND:
* the total amount of work you completed at all international institutions combined is equal to or less than the equivalent of one year of undergraduate study in the United States, its territories, or Canada, OR
*your work was completed through an overseas study program that was clearly sponsored by a US, US territory, or Canadian school."

The first condition applies to my situation, so my first instinct was not to worry about it, but I'm concerned about the complete absence of that semester on my academic summary. I wanted to see if anyone else had been in the same situation, and whether you wound up needing to have the transcript from the foreign school after all, or if they only needed your degree-granting institution as the guidelines state. TYIA.

Yukos

Re: Study Abroad--transcript necessary?

Postby Yukos » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:49 pm

Call LSAC and ask.

If it's ungraded I doubt it matters.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:49 pm

Just in case anyone winds up searching for this at some point, here's the response I got from LSAC:

"As your coursework at [overseas university] was not the equivalent of more than a year of U.S. or Canadian study you are not required to have your transcript from that institution sent to us.

If you chose to have your international transcript sent to us despite the requirement, have the transcript mailed directly from your international school to: LSAC, 662 Penn Street, Box 8502, Newtown, PA 18940-8502, USA.
A copy of the international transcript will be included in your law report along with a letter explaining that because the transcript does not contain the equivalent of more than one year of U.S. or Canadian study, no evaluation was done of the transcript.
Please note that the letter and the copy of the international transcript will only be included in the law school reports for law schools that participate in authentication and evaluation of international transcripts through our Credential Assembly Service."

suitup

Postby suitup » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:53 am

If you did well in that semester abroad, definitely send it. My semester abroad helped bump my GPA over the 3.7 mark whereas my overall GPA from my UG was a 3.6x and this will definitely make a difference in LS admissions.

canarykb

Postby canarykb » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks for following up with the response - I also got a GPA bump from my semester abroad.

Another related question (rather than starting a new topic) - How does it look to have the instructor for your semester abroad courses write one of your letters of recommendation?

One of the most obvious professors to write me a LOR (I took 2 classes from him and he advised me on my thesis) is notoriously unreliable for LORs, and I heard from a classmate that he just flat out didnt write him one, and complained that he had asked him to do one in the first place (This classmate also used him as an adviser for his thesis and was an excellent student). So I'm searching for other instructors who know me well.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:48 am

suitup wrote:If you did well in that semester abroad, definitely send it. My semester abroad helped bump my GPA over the 3.7 mark whereas my overall GPA from my UG was a 3.6x and this will definitely make a difference in LS admissions.

Heh...I had the opposite happen, which is why I was pretty glad I didn't have to send it. My grades weren't horrendous during my SA or anything, but they definitely reflected the fact that I was more excited about being in another country (and one in which I could legally drink at the time) than I was about going to class every day.

jenchoXD

Postby jenchoXD » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:19 pm

canarykb wrote:Thanks for following up with the response - I also got a GPA bump from my semester abroad.

Another related question (rather than starting a new topic) - How does it look to have the instructor for your semester abroad courses write one of your letters of recommendation?

One of the most obvious professors to write me a LOR (I took 2 classes from him and he advised me on my thesis) is notoriously unreliable for LORs, and I heard from a classmate that he just flat out didnt write him one, and complained that he had asked him to do one in the first place (This classmate also used him as an adviser for his thesis and was an excellent student). So I'm searching for other instructors who know me well.

I'm also wondering the same thing as I was planning on having a professor from abroad write my LOR.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”