Reapplying..coping with a year off? No job

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
UDFlyers90

Reapplying..coping with a year off? No job

Postby UDFlyers90 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:59 pm

I realize this may come off as a pity party and I apologize but I did not receive admission to any school that I feel is worth going to with my stats (Applied this past cycle with 3.05ish gpa, will have 3.2 when I reapply and have a 176 LSAT) and am actually taking the TLS advice and taking a year off and reapplying this fall. My problem is I just recently withdrew from WashU (Think in the last three weeks) and as I intended on enrolling in law school right after graduation from ug I am currently at a loss of what to do/how to cope with the reality of the next 12 months of my life.

I suppose I have a plethora of questions on how am I supposed to handle this, but I'll start by asking has anyone else actually stared down the barrel of this gun before? I have a poli sci degree with a 3.08 gpa (my lsac gpa is boosted from community college courses) and I don't think this exactly screams "hire him" to many employers. In all likelihood I will be working a job that I could have gotten with a high school diploma and this thought really depresses me. (I have a lot of time to think about it right now since I literally have no plans for the next 12 months) On top of this, most of my friends and family are aware that I was applying to law school and did very well on the lsat and I feel like people are going to be perplexed at how I went from planning to attend a relatively impressive school in the fall to working at a best buy or verizon store. Other than keeping my eyes on the long term prize, how the hell am I suppose to deal with this for the next year? Did I make the right decision to forgo law school for a year even though I will essentially be doing nothing with my life for the next 12 months or is said advice more meant for those applicants who have tangible back up plans?

Sincerely,
Guy who might be selling you a cell phone

noggo10

Re: Reapplying..coping with a year off? No job

Postby noggo10 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:05 pm

What sort of extracurriculars/internships did you do? Spin that the right way in your resume and just send out resumes to anyone you can think of, trying to play up leadership and analytical skills etc. What about teaching English abroad for a year or something or maybe work at a job you're not thrilled about but volunteer w/Habitat or a charity? With a 3.2/176 you should absolutely have a chance at multiple T-14s and maybe even NYU/Penn.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:07 pm

You should work as a substitute teacher, so you can party all week long. Go Clubbing/bar-hopping 5 nights a week and bang different hunnies for the whole year. This won't be models and bottles type stuff, but you will get good practice before you really get to experience this in your Big Law days.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:10 pm

One recommendation is teaching English abroad (especially if you look Caucasian, in which you will have an easy time finding a job in Asian countries). It'll earn you some money and you can experience life in another country.

Postby 2014 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:12 am

Honestly do whatever pays the bills, it doesn't really have to be something that uses your UG degree or that looks good on a resume. Your goal is to feed yourself and pay your bills while sustaining some sort of reasonable quality of life. If you need to wait tables, be a bank teller, admin assistant whatever it doesn't matter.

Absolutely made the right decision though. You will be in to several T14s next year (albeit off of some WLs most likely) and you should have scholarship offers to consider. I'm assuming WUSTL gave you 84-90k and you should get that from GULC at least which is scary but a lot less scary than WUSTL.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:32 am

UDFlyers90 wrote:I realize this may come off as a pity party and I apologize but I did not receive admission to any school that I feel is worth going to with my stats (Applied this past cycle with 3.05ish gpa, will have 3.2 when I reapply and have a 176 LSAT) and am actually taking the TLS advice and taking a year off and reapplying this fall. My problem is I just recently withdrew from WashU (Think in the last three weeks) and as I intended on enrolling in law school right after graduation from ug I am currently at a loss of what to do/how to cope with the reality of the next 12 months of my life.

I suppose I have a plethora of questions on how am I supposed to handle this, but I'll start by asking has anyone else actually stared down the barrel of this gun before? I have a poli sci degree with a 3.08 gpa (my lsac gpa is boosted from community college courses) and I don't think this exactly screams "hire him" to many employers. In all likelihood I will be working a job that I could have gotten with a high school diploma and this thought really depresses me. (I have a lot of time to think about it right now since I literally have no plans for the next 12 months) On top of this, most of my friends and family are aware that I was applying to law school and did very well on the lsat and I feel like people are going to be perplexed at how I went from planning to attend a relatively impressive school in the fall to working at a best buy or verizon store. Other than keeping my eyes on the long term prize, how the hell am I suppose to deal with this for the next year? Did I make the right decision to forgo law school for a year even though I will essentially be doing nothing with my life for the next 12 months or is said advice more meant for those applicants who have tangible back up plans?

Sincerely,

I remember seeing some of my high school classmates hawking blackberries a few years ago. Don't do it.

TomahawkChopper

Postby TomahawkChopper » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:15 am

Dude, go travel. Or work for a few months save every bit you can and then travel. When else are you going to have this freedom and lack of responsibility?

North

Postby North » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:44 am

Wow, you're in a pretty good spot bro. Stop making it out to be a not-awesome situation and live it up. It's all work for the next, what, fifty years?

bloobook

Postby bloobook » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:57 am

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Who cares? 75% of our generation is unemployed or working jobs for which a college degree is not required. If anyone judges you tell them to fuck off. Especially parents, friends of parents, and other boomers.

It's this kind of mentality that makes people rush off to attend TTTs at sticker rather than work an "unprestigious" 30K per year job and retake. I know that is not OPs situation but it's very frustrating.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:06 pm

It sucks man but it's the fate of the majority of our generation. You'll just have to work retail or something like that. I swear our generation seems screwed no matter what path we take. People act like not going to law school is such a great option, but it's like they don't realize that this is the only other option for a huge portion of us. This should give a reality check to all these people who seem to think that there are loads of opportunities out there outside of law school for a recent college grad--there aren't.

rangers14

Postby rangers14 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Once law school starts, real life starts. You’ll have debt and responsibilities. You have a fantastic opportunity right now to do things that you won’t ever have the chance to do again. It may be that there is something great you can do in your town to fill the year, but from the tone of your post it seems like you’re less-than- enthused by that option. I’ve been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to take time off for several adventures. This is what I’ve learned:

1) Travelling can be done on the cheap. Very cheap. I paid for an entire year of travel on three continents by working (very hard) two summers and working part time during the winter. Flights to Ireland can be found for $450. From there you can get to anywhere in Europe for under $50, many places for under $20. Amtrak coast to coast is less than $300 if bought in advance, Flights are even cheaper. Hostels in some part of the world are $4/night. Couchsurfing is free. The number one reason I’ve heard from people who pass up the opportunity is that they “could never afford to travel.” If you’re living frugally and working full-time it’s difficult not to save up enough money.

2) Working the right bar/restaurant is surprisingly lucrative, fun, and challenging. I’ve met some of my favorite people working in restaurants; the industry seems to attract an off-kilter type that doesn’t fit in anywhere else. Service industry people also party harder than anyone else I’ve met. I’ve done well academically, worked at a couple competitive, career oriented jobs and taken the lsat. My restaurant job was objectively more difficult, and taught me more about myself and the work place, than any of those.

3) Getting these jobs is not that difficult. Print out 50 copies of your resume. Knock on every single bar and restaurant in town, ask to speak with the manager, tell him or her you want to work, don’t be afraid to start as a busboy. The right bar/restaurant is a high end/high volume place if you can find it. I’ve made $2000 in one week working as a busboy in a resort area over during July 4th. I was paid in an envelope full of cash; that’s a good feeling. (Side note: it is common – to the point where I’ve had managers at places I’m looking for work explicitly tell me to do it – to lie about experience in this industry. People often claim to have worked banquets and high-end events to get their first job. If that dishonesty doesn’t bother you it makes your life easier).

Once you realize that you work can work anywhere, you realize that you can live anywhere. What are you interested in? If you like skiing, I had a great winter working in ski town (restaurant again), hiking up mountains and riding down back country slopes. I taught English in Asia and experienced things I’ll likely never see again. Do you surf (or want to start)? Go live in beach town. Always wanted to see the pyramids? Get your ass to Egypt. Is there a language you want to learn? Six months in South America, taking classes part-time and you’ll be close to fluent. Always wanted a motorcycle? Take the two day MSF class, buy a used bike for under $2k, drive it around town for a month until you’re comfortable, and then see how far it’ll take you. Or do none of these things. But do something. Worst case scenario: whatever you try to do doesn't work out, you buy a ticket home with your last $50 and get the job at the mall selling phones.

Sorry for the wall of text, and I hope that didn’t come off as too preachy.

Here are a couple of resources that might be helpful:
Kayak.com;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_low-cost_airlines (see especially Ryanair)
Couchsurfing.com
http://allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/201 ... ernatives/
Seat61.com (really cool website about train travel)
Hostels.com
Wikitravel.org
(Also go to the Wikipedia page of the airport you want to fly into, it’ll list all airlines/destinations, then go to their individual sites)

conc ashout

Postby conc ashout » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:05 pm

go travel. take advantage of a time in your life when you have nothing keeping you tied to a specific place in the world. if you have some money saved up, southeast asia can be done for $10 a day, plus a flight to bangkok. anyone you will be dealing with will speak some english. all you need is a ticket and maybe a travel book. you can figure out every thing else when you get there.

if you don't have money saved up, go teach english somewhere like south korea, china, or chile.

either way, taking a year off is one of the best things you can do for yourself. your life here will always be here when you get back. and a year goes by remarkably fast when you are doing fun and new things every day.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:23 pm

With a 176/3.2 you only need to apply to top 18 law schools. Compare offers & enjoy.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:29 pm

You've made the right decision. Congrats. If I were in your shoes I might think about moving to a new country and working as a bartender. If you don't have foreign language skills consider moving to a predominantly English speaking country (see: world). Also consider doing public interest work if you can afford not getting paid. Furthermore, there are programs that are the farming equivalent to couchsurfing. You travel to a country and work as a subsistence farmer in exchange for food, rent, etc. This isn't a bad option - I have a few friends who recently graduated doing it right now.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Canada.

Victoria, Vancouver, Toronto or Ottawa.

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:56 pm

UDFlyers90 wrote:I realize this may come off as a pity party and I apologize but I did not receive admission to any school that I feel is worth going to with my stats (Applied this past cycle with 3.05ish gpa, will have 3.2 when I reapply and have a 176 LSAT) and am actually taking the TLS advice and taking a year off and reapplying this fall. My problem is I just recently withdrew from WashU (Think in the last three weeks) and as I intended on enrolling in law school right after graduation from ug I am currently at a loss of what to do/how to cope with the reality of the next 12 months of my life.

Sincerely,

Dude, I know it sucks that you have to take a year off, but look at the bright side, and yes there is a bright side. YOU GOT A 176 on your LSATS! and a 3.2 GPA, those two things alone will def make you a solid contender for the lower T-14s and possibly with money, yea sure, this year might feel like a waste of time, but that investment will MORE than pay off. Forget what everyone else thinks. to the layperson ALL LAW SCHOOLS ARE CREATED EQUAL. You made an excellent decision; work for a year, save as much money as you can, if you drink, well then DRINK and enjoy your time off. :)

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:10 pm

Use your undergraduate's career services to find out if there are any immediate openings. You don't have to do something legally related, but if you can that's a bonus (just note that legal assistant and paralegal positions are usually minimum 2 year commitments).

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:11 pm

rangers14 wrote:Once law school starts, real life starts. You’ll have debt and responsibilities. You have a fantastic opportunity right now to do things that you won’t ever have the chance to do again. It may be that there is something great you can do in your town to fill the year, but from the tone of your post it seems like you’re less-than- enthused by that option. I’ve been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to take time off for several adventures. This is what I’ve learned:

1) Travelling can be done on the cheap. Very cheap. I paid for an entire year of travel on three continents by working (very hard) two summers and working part time during the winter. Flights to Ireland can be found for $450. From there you can get to anywhere in Europe for under $50, many places for under $20. Amtrak coast to coast is less than $300 if bought in advance, Flights are even cheaper. Hostels in some part of the world are $4/night. Couchsurfing is free. The number one reason I’ve heard from people who pass up the opportunity is that they “could never afford to travel.” If you’re living frugally and working full-time it’s difficult not to save up enough money.

2) Working the right bar/restaurant is surprisingly lucrative, fun, and challenging. I’ve met some of my favorite people working in restaurants; the industry seems to attract an off-kilter type that doesn’t fit in anywhere else. Service industry people also party harder than anyone else I’ve met. I’ve done well academically, worked at a couple competitive, career oriented jobs and taken the lsat. My restaurant job was objectively more difficult, and taught me more about myself and the work place, than any of those.

3) Getting these jobs is not that difficult. Print out 50 copies of your resume. Knock on every single bar and restaurant in town, ask to speak with the manager, tell him or her you want to work, don’t be afraid to start as a busboy. The right bar/restaurant is a high end/high volume place if you can find it. I’ve made $2000 in one week working as a busboy in a resort area over during July 4th. I was paid in an envelope full of cash; that’s a good feeling. (Side note: it is common – to the point where I’ve had managers at places I’m looking for work explicitly tell me to do it – to lie about experience in this industry. People often claim to have worked banquets and high-end events to get their first job. If that dishonesty doesn’t bother you it makes your life easier).

Once you realize that you work can work anywhere, you realize that you can live anywhere. What are you interested in? If you like skiing, I had a great winter working in ski town (restaurant again), hiking up mountains and riding down back country slopes. I taught English in Asia and experienced things I’ll likely never see again. Do you surf (or want to start)? Go live in beach town. Always wanted to see the pyramids? Get your ass to Egypt. Is there a language you want to learn? Six months in South America, taking classes part-time and you’ll be close to fluent. Always wanted a motorcycle? Take the two day MSF class, buy a used bike for under $2k, drive it around town for a month until you’re comfortable, and then see how far it’ll take you. Or do none of these things. But do something. Worst case scenario: whatever you try to do doesn't work out, you buy a ticket home with your last $50 and get the job at the mall selling phones.

Sorry for the wall of text, and I hope that didn’t come off as too preachy.

Here are a couple of resources that might be helpful:
Kayak.com;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_low-cost_airlines (see especially Ryanair)
Couchsurfing.com
http://allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/201 ... ernatives/
Seat61.com (really cool website about train travel)
Hostels.com
Wikitravel.org
(Also go to the Wikipedia page of the airport you want to fly into, it’ll list all airlines/destinations, then go to their individual sites)

Cool post. Thank you for that.

stargazin

Postby stargazin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:04 pm

I think you definitely made the right decision. Ignore what anyone else thinks, you have to make the best decision for yourself. Definitely do as much networking as you can, use your career center, walk into places and ask for a job, volunteer if you have nothing else to do, but just try to keep yourself busy with something, because it'll be better for your mentality and better for your applications this fall.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:13 pm

I have a 2.8 (Poli Sci and Phil double major) and the same LSAT and I took 2 years off to work, so I think I can safely say I've been in your shoes (kinda). It is scary, I agree.

With that said: suck it up. Comments like " In all likelihood I will be working a job that I could have gotten with a high school diploma and this thought really depresses me." and " I feel like people are going to be perplexed at how I went from planning to attend a relatively impressive school in the fall to working at a best buy or verizon store. " are really dumb and counter-productive (not to mention it makes you sound kind of entitled, as if working an entry level job is beneath you). Getting a year or two of WE distances you from your GPA and provides you with an opportunity to show schools that you've matured and are able to handle a full time job and manage your own finances. It also provides you with an opportunity to enjoy life (since you'll have an income) before going back to school.

Whatever you do, though, GET A JOB. There is nothing more embarrassing or sad than having to explain to the schools you applied to that you deferred law school to sit at home and do nothing for a year or two.

Also, save up your money and travel after you work. I did this and traveled for 9 weeks after quitting my job. Best decision ever. Did I hate my job and the fact that I was doing nothing for 9 hours every day? Yeah, of course. But I looked at it this way - this is an investment in your future, and if getting paid to do nothing is going to get me into a better school with better employment prospects (or a better scholly with less debt to pay back), then a year or two of postponing my education is totally worth it.

Especially when that year or two allows me to spend 2 weeks in Cancun and 5 weeks in Europe before I start school again. :mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”