Accepting loans, hoping to get off a waitlist elsewhere

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
melanne89

Accepting loans, hoping to get off a waitlist elsewhere

Postby melanne89 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:04 pm

I've been avoiding accepting loans at the school I put a deposit, in case I get off the waitlist at my top choice, but I think I'm going to have to accept them soon to make sure I get my money on time (assuming I do not get off the waitlist at the other school).

Does anyone know if it is difficult to change the loans once they've been accepted at one school if I end up attending another school?

Re: Accepting loans, hoping to get off a waitlist elsewhere

Postby 2014 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:16 am

I can't speak to how difficult it is, but it is certainly possible and many people do it every year. You would need to coordinate it with the school you are WLed at probably though and I'm not sure how the loan fees come into play.

Are you happy to attend the school you are deposited at btw or are you settling for what you got?

melanne89

Postby melanne89 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:26 am

I am happy to attend the school I put a deposit on. Maybe even happier in some sense, it's 2 hours away from my family versus the 8 at the other school.

But, ultimately, if I got accepted to the other school, it's a better "fit" for me and the type of law I want to pursue.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:29 am

I was just in the same position you described, but it really wasn't that difficult. I had accepted loans through one school, then declined the award and withdrew when in got in off a waitlist. Then I reapplied for the same loans through the new school. Pretty straight forward. Don't wait to apply for loans for the school you're already deposited at - you don't want to risk getting your money dispersed late.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”