Does having an extra LOR help you?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CardinalLaw

Does having an extra LOR help you?

Postby CardinalLaw » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:54 pm

I was going to get two professors to write me (what I assume to be average) letters of recommendation? Should I ask the person I worked under as an intern last summer to write me one as well?

thederangedwang

Re: Does having an extra LOR help you?

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:56 pm

CardinalLaw wrote:I was going to get two professors to write me (what I assume to be average) letters of recommendation? Should I ask the person I worked under as an intern last summer to write me one as well?

the general rule is 2 academic LORs...any LORs beyond that should only be used if they say things about you that the other 2 letters dont say..for instance, if you were an athlete, then 2 academic and 1 athletic lor (from a coach lets say) would work well.

Ill let you decide if that fits

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:07 pm

Wang is right that two is sufficient, but a third from a much different perspective wouldnt hurt. Shadow made this nifty spreadsheet, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... nFMdHQzcnc , that shows which schools allow what. All schools in the T14 allow you to submit three. Honestly though, in nearly all cases, an extra LOR isnt going to get you in anywhere you were not already getting in.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:09 pm

Nova wrote: (basically) an extra LOR isnt going to get you in anywhere you were not already getting in.

Also, I guess I don't really understand the "extra thing." Don't schools specify how many recs they want? I suppose you must mean schools that say they require 2 but will take 3 or 4 etc. I wouldn't really consider it an 'extra' letter, but I do think as long as the recs are decent and it isn't over the school's limit then more can't hurt and may infinitesimally help.
Last edited by Lawquacious on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Nova wrote:Wang is right that two is sufficient, but a third from a much different perspective wouldnt hurt. Shadow made this nifty spreadsheet, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... nFMdHQzcnc , that shows which schools allow what. All schools in the T14 allow you to submit three. Honestly though, in nearly all cases, an extra LOR isnt going to get you in anywhere you were not already getting in.

uh? this is exactly what i said?

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:14 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
Nova wrote:Wang is right that two is sufficient, but a third from a much different perspective wouldnt hurt. Shadow made this nifty spreadsheet, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... nFMdHQzcnc , that shows which schools allow what. All schools in the T14 allow you to submit three. Honestly though, in nearly all cases, an extra LOR isnt going to get you in anywhere you were not already getting in.

Echo chamber, bro. Im just backing you up :mrgreen:
Last edited by Nova on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Nova wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

Echo chamber bro. Im just backing you up :mrgreen:

but the but implies that before the but you agreed with me but after the but you disagreed with me, but now youre agreeing with me entirely, which makes the but wrong.....but.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:27 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
Nova wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

Echo chamber bro. Im just backing you up :mrgreen:

but the but implies that before the but you agreed with me but after the but you disagreed with me, but now youre agreeing with me entirely, which makes the but wrong.....but.

I see the ambiguity. I am now questioning myself on whether what I wrote is actually wrong or just realy unclear. I meant that you are right on both points, and everything after the comma was still supposed to be restating your point.

Wang is right that two is sufficient and a third from a much different perspective wouldnt hurt.*** :mrgreen:

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:47 pm

just tryin to give you hard time lol, no worries

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:13 pm

thederangedwang wrote:just tryin to give you hard time lol, no worries

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”