Why law school over MBA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crazi4law

New

Why law school over MBA?

Post by crazi4law » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:41 pm

I may be generalizing here, but most people on this forum want to go to a top law school and work at a BigLaw firm, mainly because of the money and the prestige.

But going to a top MBA program also offers a plethora of career opportunities, and is much more flexible and compatible than a JD. Everyone knows that BigLaw is boring as hell, so why not just try for a top MBA and get into something like banking instead (somewhat better pay, somewhat more interesting)?

westinghouse60

Bronze

Re: Why law school over MBA?

Post by westinghouse60 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:46 pm

crazi4law wrote:I may be generalizing here, but most people on this forum want to go to a top law school and work at a BigLaw firm, mainly because of the money and the prestige.

But going to a top MBA program also offers a plethora of career opportunities, and is much more flexible and compatible than a JD. Everyone knows that BigLaw is boring as hell, so why not just try for a top MBA and get into something like banking instead (somewhat better pay, somewhat more interesting)?
Getting into a top MBA requires several years of really good WE, which in turn would have required going to a top UG and getting a finance/math/econ etc degree instead of a worthless liberal arts degree. So, for a lot of people (like myself) it's too late to try to go that route.

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:48 pm

crazi4law wrote:I may be generalizing here, but most people on this forum want to go to a top law school and work at a BigLaw firm, mainly because of the money and the prestige.

Because they want to be lawyers, perhaps?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:56 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:
Getting into a top MBA requires several years of really good WE, which in turn would have required going to a top UG and getting a finance/math/econ etc degree instead of a worthless liberal arts degree. So, for a lot of people (like myself) it's too late to try to go that route.
And this is so well known that it makes me think that people who ask this don't know anything about top MBA programs; either that or they don't understand that law school admissions only involve having a u-grad degree (from any school) and taking the LSAT.

bazinga!

Bronze

Post by bazinga! » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:00 pm

sounds like you should apply to get an MBA? i'm confused how the existence of careers that pay more should somehow discourage people from entering other professions. and an MBA is only more flexible, compatible, and interesting if you are skilled to and want to practice in a profession requiring an MBA, in which case see my first statement.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Why not denti$try?

ams212

New

Post by ams212 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:26 pm

But going to a top Med school also offers a plethora of career opportunities, and is much more flexible and compatible than a JD. Everyone knows that BigLaw is boring as hell, so why not just try to be a doctor and get into something like medicine instead (better pay, saving lives is way more interesting)?
Makes sense to me. I never wanted to be a lawyer, my mom just told me I look good in suits. I tried on scrubs this afternoon though and they make me look sexy af. Mind made up 8)

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:36 pm

sambeber wrote:

Because they want to be lawyers, perhaps?

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:41 pm

dingbat wrote:Why not denti$try?
Bigteeth is hard to get, its not all models and bottles. No one tells you about denture review

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:46 pm

chem wrote:
Bigteeth is hard to get, its not all models and bottles. No one tells you about denture review

JDflowergirl

Bronze

Post by JDflowergirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Big law might be boring but I know some people in banking and it doesn't sound any more interesting. Also BigLaw and Banking are not interchangeable. And you forget people may find BigLaw boring but they actually like the law and transition to other law related careers.
Ive heard of JDs getting hired by BigLaw firms and banks but I haven't heard of people wih MBAs (only) frequently getting hired in both industries.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:09 pm

JDflowergirl wrote:Big law might be boring but I know some people in banking and it doesn't sound any more interesting. Also BigLaw and Banking are not interchangeable. And you forget people may find BigLaw boring but they actually like the law and transition to other law related careers.
Ive heard of JDs getting hired by BigLaw firms and banks but I haven't heard of people wih MBAs (only) frequently getting hired in both industries.
If you're good with numbers, go into banking
If you're good with words go into law
If you're too dumb to figure that out, go into retail

El_Sol

New

Post by El_Sol » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:13 pm

A lot of people get a JD from top-14, work in big law for several years, then MBA from Top Program, and appointed to leadership positions like CEO, or work in private equity/consulting/investment banking. Obviously, this takes a lot of time and money. So, it might not be worth it to most.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:24 pm

El_Sol wrote:A lot of people get a JD from top-14, work in big law for several years, then MBA from Top Program, and appointed to leadership positions like CEO, or work in private equity/consulting/investment banking. Obviously, this takes a lot of time and money. So, it might not be worth it to most.
Define "a lot"

El_Sol

New

Post by El_Sol » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Yeah, should not have used "a lot." Some.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:32 pm

dingbat wrote:
El_Sol wrote:A lot of people get a JD from top-14, work in big law for several years, then MBA from Top Program, and appointed to leadership positions like CEO, or work in private equity/consulting/investment banking. Obviously, this takes a lot of time and money. So, it might not be worth it to most.
Define "a lot"
Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that less than 1% of JD grads follow this career path.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:57 pm

dingbat wrote:
JDflowergirl wrote:Big law might be boring but I know some people in banking and it doesn't sound any more interesting. Also BigLaw and Banking are not interchangeable. And you forget people may find BigLaw boring but they actually like the law and transition to other law related careers.
If you're good with numbers, go into banking
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crazi4law

New

Post by crazi4law » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:21 am

dingbat wrote: If you're good with numbers, go into banking
I used to think that too, but actually the numbers work that analysts do is quite simple, you don't need to be great at math to be able to get it done.

All things considered, an average day for an ibanker is definitely more lively than that of a biglaw lawyer.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:49 am

I'm curious as to what you think "banking" entails circa 2012.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:14 am

crazi4law wrote:All things considered, an average day for an ibanker is definitely more lively than that of a biglaw lawyer.
rayiner wrote:I'm curious as to what you think "banking" entails circa 2012.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:22 am

dingbat wrote:
crazi4law wrote:All things considered, an average day for an ibanker is definitely more lively than that of a biglaw lawyer.
rayiner wrote:I'm curious as to what you think "banking" entails circa 2012.
Lively in the sense of what? My brother is a trading analyst. He sits in front of a computer screen all day. The compensation is great, though, don't get me wrong, but the bankers I've met get worked about valuations and cash flow the same way law geeks get worked up about circuit splits.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:16 am

crazi4law wrote:
dingbat wrote: If you're good with numbers, go into banking
I used to think that too, but actually the numbers work that analysts do is quite simple, you don't need to be great at math to be able to get it done.

All things considered, an average day for an ibanker is definitely more lively than that of a biglaw lawyer.
I've been thinking about this and I have to say it really depends on the person (what you consider "lively"), the job and the department. If you're analyzing equities, you're staring at numbers all day long. If you're involved with repackaging debt, it's mostly doc review. Banking is a very broad term, broader than "lawyer" and there's a lot of variation in the field

JohnV

Bronze

Post by JohnV » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:38 pm

This only applies to people who get into law for all the wrong reasons.

Also, banking is 'somewhat more interesting'? I couldn't think of a faster route to suicide for me.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:44 pm

JohnV wrote:This only applies to people who get into law for all the wrong reasons.

Also, banking is 'somewhat more interesting'? I couldn't think of a faster route to suicide for me.
Having to deal with bankers on a daily basis

tyler.durden

Bronze

Post by tyler.durden » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:20 pm

dingbat wrote:
chem wrote:
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”