Recommend taking Philosophy classes?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dowu

Re: Recommend taking Philosophy classes?

Postby dowu » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:09 pm

HarvardHopeful93 wrote:Alright guys. This has been very thought-provoking and helpful to read. So let me throw another Q at ya...elementary logic or symbolic logic? (At my UG, the former is 100 level class, the latter is 200 level class).

Intro to symbolic logic, for sure. There, you should learn argument structures and other things like that. The Critical thinking class will only be marginally beneficial.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:11 pm

HarvardHopeful93 wrote:Alright guys. This has been very thought-provoking and helpful to read. So let me throw another Q at ya...elementary logic or symbolic logic? (At my UG, the former is 100 level class, the latter is 200 level class).

Meh, I'd say elementary logic will be much more on point, although symbolic will give you good practice and force you to make the elementary syllogism stuff, like what's on the LSAT, second nature (which is what you want on a timed test). My person anecdote: at out school, we needed only 4 philosophy classes to get a minor. I took Logic, Symbolic Logic, Existentialism, and the Philosophy of Aesthetics. My GPA over those 4 classes was a lot higher than my "background" GPA, primarily because I really enjoyed those classes.

So, I'd say this would be the best plan: take Elementary logic.
If you like it and do well in it, take symbolic.
If you like that and do well in it, keep taking philosophy classes.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:18 pm

JoeFish wrote:

So, I'd say this would be the best plan: take Elementary logic.
If you like it and do well in it, take symbolic.
If you like that and do well in it, keep taking philosophy classes.

TITCR.

Sounder89

Postby Sounder89 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:31 pm

By far the best way you can possibly ensure a good score on the LSAT is simply to study the LSAT itself by taking timed practice tests. IMO you should take philosophy courses if it will interest you and improve your GPA, but courses in philosophy or formal logic are not necessary to do well on the LSAT

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”