Question about admission req. to top 10...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Courtneyevon

Question about admission req. to top 10...

Postby Courtneyevon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:10 am

Hi everyone!
I am just finishing up my A.S. Degree (associates in science). I could go straight to a B.A.S. (bachelors in applied science) or obtain an A.A. and then get a regular B.A. The pro to going straight to a B.A.S. would be that it would take me less time to get a bachelors degree. Can anyone tell me which would be the better route? Do the top law schools care what type of bachelors (meaning BA vs BAS)? Does this technical bachelors look bad? Does it look better to have a regular B.A.?
Thank you!!!!

kkdk

Re: Question about admission req. to top 10...

Postby kkdk » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:31 am

Schools don't care what you major in. Do the degree in which you think you can perform best (i.e. get the highest possible GPA).

Although, sometimes it depends on what type of law you plan to do--for IP Law, technical backgrounds can be very useful or desirable for employers.

But general consensus is that between choosing degree A vs degree B or major A vs major B, go for the one that will give you a better shot at higher grades!

Courtneyevon

Postby Courtneyevon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:49 am

Thanks for your help. I meant to say the the actually major is Supervision and Management. But, I was just referring to the type of degree. Bachelor of Art vs. Bachelor of Applied Science. And if either type looked better or worse when applying to the top law schools, or if the B.A.S. is "allowed".
Thanks Again!

Postby 2014 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:17 am

Neither should be preferred over the other. A B.S. can be valued slightly higher, especially if it is in engineering or computer science, but either option you choose should be identical.

North

Postby North » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:52 am

A Bachelor's Degree is A Bachelor's Degree. Law schools don't particularly care whether it's a BA, BS, or BAS because each university has different and wholly inconsistent standards for awarding one over the others. At my UG, you get a BS -- a Bachelors Degree that people generally assume is more rigorous than a BA -- only if you don't take three semesters of a foreign language.

Do whichever program offers you the best balance between getting a 4.0 and having the credentials for a fallback career if law doesn't work out. But, if you want law to work out, get the 4.0.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:03 am

Courtneyevon wrote: But, I was just referring to the type of degree. Bachelor of Art vs. Bachelor of Applied Science. And if either type looked better or worse when applying to the top law schools, or if the B.A.S. is "allowed".
Thanks Again!

1. Schools do not care what Bachelors degree you get.
2. Schools "allow" a BAS.

Just work on getting the highest GPA possible. That's what matters.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:52 pm

I'd recommend the BS in case you don't go to Law School. A BS looks much, much better than some random BA. If you're doing a technical major anyways, any tech employer will raise an eyebrow at having a BA. Unless you meant getting a BA in whatever random bullshit major basketweaving/PolySci/English whatever... then it really doesn't matter at all.

kvothe

Postby kvothe » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:30 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:I'd recommend the BS in case you don't go to Law School. A BS looks much, much better than some random BA. If you're doing a technical major anyways, any tech employer will raise an eyebrow at having a BA. Unless you meant getting a BA in whatever random bullshit major basketweaving/PolySci/English whatever... then it really doesn't matter at all.

This isn't true in my experience. Many reputable schools (e.g. Harvard) give out a Bachelor of Arts in technical fields like Computer Science. I have a BA myself in an engineering major (notably, not from Harvard), and it hasn't given me any problems. YMMV, but this very much depends on the school.

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:06 am

kvothe wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:I'd recommend the BS in case you don't go to Law School. A BS looks much, much better than some random BA. If you're doing a technical major anyways, any tech employer will raise an eyebrow at having a BA. Unless you meant getting a BA in whatever random bullshit major basketweaving/PolySci/English whatever... then it really doesn't matter at all.

This isn't true in my experience. Many reputable schools (e.g. Harvard) give out a Bachelor of Arts in technical fields like Computer Science. I have a BA myself in an engineering major (notably, not from Harvard), and it hasn't given me any problems. YMMV, but this very much depends on the school.

The "it varies by school" is definitely accurate. BA's for engineering sound weird to me as everyone I know who did an engineering degree receive a B.Eng.

What's more, true story: The University of Toronto actually gives you a BA in Psychology if you take it in Toronto's suburbs and a BSc in Psychology if you take it in downtown Toronto. Weird, right?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”