Delete Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jychun412

Bronze

Delete

Post by jychun412 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:18 am

Thanks
Last edited by jychun412 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

criminaltheory

Bronze

Re: Resume Critique

Post by criminaltheory » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:27 am

I'd ditch the MS suite skills and move the Korean skills to the top of the page, right below honors

lovelyspotlight

New

Post by lovelyspotlight » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:18 pm

One quick thing -- I noticed almost all your verbs are some form of "assist" or "learn." You'll need to change that. I learned once in some resume-writing workshop you really should try not to use the same word twice, even.

Consider some of the action verbs from here: --LinkRemoved--

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:41 pm

Too many headings, consolidate all the work experience under one heading, dont divide it into relevant, research, additional exp like you have it now

JetsFan1990

Bronze

Post by JetsFan1990 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:44 pm

thederangedwang wrote:Too many headings, consolidate all the work experience under one heading, dont divide it into relevant, research, additional exp like you have it now
This. And definitely get rid of the microsoft suite stuff. All of that is expected.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JetsFan1990

Bronze

Post by JetsFan1990 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:56 pm

Also, I'm curious if you need to list the specific semesters of Undergrad Dean's list. On my resume, I simply put "Dean's list" under the honors and awards subsection. Is this sufficient?

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

bbsg

Bronze

Post by bbsg » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:47 pm

I don't think there are too many headings. And it might be my international relations background but I'd definitely move Korean skills up to nearly the very top.

I always tell everyone to shy away from "Relevant Experience" as a possible heading though. It makes it seem like the other experiences aren't relevant. In which case, why would you include them? I've been on some fairly senior interview committees (not admissions committees, mind you) for "real" careers and I've never seen a successful candidate use "Relevant Experience" as a heading.

If what you mean is "Legal Experience," and you're thinking Legal = Relevant, then just say "Legal Experience."

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:51 pm

bbsg wrote:I don't think there are too many headings. And it might be my international relations background but I'd definitely move Korean skills up to nearly the very top.

I always tell everyone to shy away from "Relevant Experience" as a possible heading though. It makes it seem like the other experiences aren't relevant. In which case, why would you include them? I've been on some fairly senior interview committees (not admissions committees, mind you) for "real" careers and I've never seen a successful candidate use "Relevant Experience" as a heading.

If what you mean is "Legal Experience," and you're thinking Legal = Relevant, then just say "Legal Experience."
uh..no.

Nobody cares you're bilingual..youre applying to law school, not the state dept foreign service office..besides most applicants are probably bilingual in some way and korean isnt an "exotic" language that the ad comm might be impressed with/interested in.

In regards to the headings, I think its bad advice. 3 headings for things related to experience is 2 too many. 1 experience section, thats it.

Agree with relevant exp though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Okay. I think 1 heading for all the experiences would be fine then.
Thanks!

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:53 pm

Does anyone have any idea about my other question? --> I worked at a law center during fall and spring semesters for about 3 years. Is it okay to just put the first start month/year and the last end month/year without mentioning that I only worked during the months I had school? If I have to mention it, how do you suggest I do it?

Ozymandias

Bronze

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 pm

jychun412 wrote:Does anyone have any idea about my other question? --> I worked at a law center during fall and spring semesters for about 3 years. Is it okay to just put the first start month/year and the last end month/year without mentioning that I only worked during the months I had school? If I have to mention it, how do you suggest I do it?
Yes that's fine.

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:07 am

bbsg wrote:
most applicants are probably bilingual in some way
probably not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”