(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
criminaltheory

Postby criminaltheory » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:40 pm

Last edited by criminaltheory on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Largo219

Re: Any hope for a potential felon?

Postby Largo219 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Maybe you should have done something more productive with your life than whine about your situation in the streets while destroying public property? It always helps to think before making stupid decisions. Also, we live in a Republic, not a Democracy.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:56 pm

I actually got into some trouble, no felony trouble. My experience showed that if it's short of rape/murder and not recurring, how you treat it says as much as the charge itself. I'd take responsibility for it. Having the perspective of it is what it is, I was an idiot, albeit in more professional terms will make it seem less likely it happens again. Logically, people who don't take responsibility for mistakes tend to repeat them and schoolsnare aware of that.

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:57 pm

I've never understood why people think republics and democracies are mutually incompatible. I mean a republican legislative system can still operate as a representative democracy..

EDIT - Sorry I can't be of help, OP. I simply don't know enough. I commend you, though, and from my ignorant view of the matter I think you're approaching it correctly.

criminaltheory

Postby criminaltheory » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Last edited by criminaltheory on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:06 pm

criminaltheory wrote:Looking for encouragement or some smack-talk while I'm getting my application materials together...

169/3.6

I was charged with a felony a couple years ago (ok, ok, felonies. protest related activity) but through some freak stroke of fate the charges have been suspended and it doesn't look like court will resume any time soon. Hypothetically, I could have my JD before the matter is resolved. If I can just get in.

I've been out of school for a number of years and have several years of law office/admin experience; lots of volunteer projects, solid LORs. The suspended charge and an additional very minor misdemeanor conviction (also protest related) are basically my weak spots. I'm a pretty smart, social and likeable person overall. Most folks I meet are floored when I tell them my situation.

My PS thus far focuses on my (honest) passion for justice and how I've moved away from and become critical of the democracy-is-in-the-streets perspective; I'm avoiding any whiny/political "indictment of the system" thing or accusations of injustice. My addenda are both short, remorseful and accept responsibility inasmuch as is possible -- given I haven't been convicted, I can acknowledge having made some wrong decisions, but I'm not going to accept responsibility for the damage that was done (which is true; there were lots of folks arrested with me all charged with the same thing).

Do I have a chance at law school? There's a fair chance the felony stuff will get dropped or reduced. Getting in to law school would certainly help that.

I'd retake the LSAT for a 170+ but my PT average was 166 so I'm pretty thrilled with what I got. I'll be shooting at T1 but don't really expect to have a chance, hoping some T2s will want to take my LSAT.

This shit has made me put my plans on hold for a long time, and I'm ready to get them going again.

Well a murderer got into Tulane...

It sounds like you're approach this in a very mature way. You will probably have a very unpredictable cycle but it's possible some schools will look past the accusations (especially since you haven't been convicted of anything). Apply very broadly.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:09 pm

I also think liberal schools may be more supportive. Also, idk about destroying public property. I hate protestors because they always think their cause trumps everything like occupy wall st people who blocl subways because if they don't want to work then in their mind nobody has a right to work, go to school, etc. This you either join or you're the enemy mentality seems much more facist than our government that regardless of all its issues generally leaves us alone. Just my .02.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Largo219 wrote:Maybe you should have done something more productive with your life than whine about your situation in the streets while destroying public property? It always helps to think before making stupid decisions. Also, we live in a Republic, not a Democracy.

Actually, we live in both.

Democracy: government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system. And what's their sample sentence? "The United States and Canada are democracies."

Also, "democracy" and "republic" aren't capitalized, douchebag.

Excellent117

Postby Excellent117 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Be VERY open with the schools you are applying to; the last thing you want is a C&F issue popping up after you have dropped tons of money for your JD and rendering it useless.

Splitterverse

Postby Splitterverse » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:12 pm

Honestly, you should have little difficulty if you're contrite and demonstrate a reasonable evolution in your thinking, but you already seem to know this. The biggest concern for most law schools after your admission numbers is your ability to be admitted to the bar. Well, there are felons admitted to law schools and bars every year who have done worse than you. Good luck!

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 pm

I've never thought about an applicant in your position. You haven't and may not be convicted of anything if the court remains in limbo. I think you should go for schools broadly as someone else said. There are also lawyers who specialize in character and fitness issues; you might want to contact one of them. I see no reason not to apply and go for it. I think you will get in somewhere for sure, just very unpredictable.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:33 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Yup, there is

Wow that's a really awesome story. What an incredible person.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:44 pm

Yukos wrote:
Largo219 wrote:Maybe you should have done something more productive with your life than whine about your situation in the streets while destroying public property? It always helps to think before making stupid decisions. Also, we live in a Republic, not a Democracy.

Actually, we live in both.

Democracy: government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system. And what's their sample sentence? "The United States and Canada are democracies."

Also, "democracy" and "republic" aren't capitalized, douchebag.

+1 It's a democratic republic. A republic is basically anything that is not a monarchy, and a democracy is as defined above.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:47 pm

what are you? a first yr poli sci student?

breadbucket

Postby breadbucket » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:57 pm

thederangedwang wrote:

high school American Government

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:58 pm

breadbucket wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

high school American Government

:oops: my bad

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:38 am

bbsg wrote:I've never understood why people think republics and democracies are mutually incompatible. I mean a republican legislative system can still operate as a representative democracy..

EDIT - Sorry I can't be of help, OP. I simply don't know enough. I commend you, though, and from my ignorant view of the matter I think you're approaching it correctly.

Just means they don't know what the 2 things are.

bloobook

Postby bloobook » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:32 pm

Yukos wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Yup, there is

Wow that's a really awesome story. What an incredible person.

+1 TYVM for posting that.

Here is the Tulane Guy,
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/201 ... ane_l.html

Who knows if he will be able to sit for the bar though.
Last edited by Nova on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:38 pm

To minimize debt & financial risk, look for a full tuition scholarship at a law school that places well in your targeted region.

It would be helpful to know the specific charges.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:40 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:I actually got into some trouble, no felony trouble. My experience showed that if it's short of rape/murder and not recurring, how you treat it says as much as the charge itself. I'd take responsibility for it. Having the perspective of it is what it is, I was an idiot, albeit in more professional terms will make it seem less likely it happens again. Logically, people who don't take responsibility for mistakes tend to repeat them and schoolsnare aware of that.

That is the conventional wisdom. But if the charges are "suspended" and eventually dropped, don't take responsibility for "it".

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Yeah, getting into a school is one thing, having an unresolved felony on your record while trying to sit the bar is another. I don't think you should have any problems getting into a school (although I second the "apply broadly" notion), but you might want to call the state in which you hope to practice and make sure that they won't have anything to say about it. Lots of times they'll request that you get it expunged or sealed before sitting the exam, or at the very least resolved in the system so it's not just a giant question mark on your record.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”