Taking LSAT in October. Okay to take 13 units? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fiestaoffire

New

Taking LSAT in October. Okay to take 13 units?

Post by fiestaoffire » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:20 pm

I've heard a bit of conflicting information regarding the number of units I should be taking per semester from some 1L's I know. Some are telling me it's perfectly fine to take 13 units for this semester as a senior, as laws schools care more about LSAT and GPA and that they're more forgiving (or don't even care) that I'm taking the minimum amount of require units to be a full-time student. Others are telling me that I should avoid taking just 13 units because it'll make my GPA (a little over 3.8 right now) look less impressive if there are too many semesters (though they couldn't specify exactly how many semesters is too many) where I only too 13 units. I'm still doing extracurricular activities along with my 13 units.

Here's my units breakdown, if it's relevant:
1st year: 13/13
2nd year: 16/16
3rd year: 14/ 16
4th year: 13/ (ideally 15-16)

Thanks much.

Bgibbs

New

Re: Taking LSAT in October. Okay to take 13 units?

Post by Bgibbs » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:24 pm

All that matters is GPA/LSAT. How many credits you take has no effect.

Edit: What's more important is killing the LSAT. Study, study, study.

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:32 pm

I took 21 hours my entire 4th year, including 3 last summer while abroad. Most of those hours were things like intermediate golf and psychology classes. Just get As and kill the LSAT and how you spend senior year will never come up.

breadbucket

Bronze

Post by breadbucket » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:40 pm

those 13 units better be in creative soul searching, or you're going to have a bad time.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:53 pm

fiestaoffire wrote:Others are telling me that I should avoid taking just 13 units because it'll make my GPA (a little over 3.8 right now) look less impressive if there are too many semesters
No. They are 100% wrong and dkwtf they are talking about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:34 pm

You can stretch out your undergrad for six years if you want to. Just for the love of God, don't screw up your GPA.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:27 pm

Nova wrote:
fiestaoffire wrote:Others are telling me that I should avoid taking just 13 units because it'll make my GPA (a little over 3.8 right now) look less impressive if there are too many semesters
No. They are 100% wrong and dkwtf they are talking about.
+1. Whoever is telling you this shit, just stop listening to them now. If you have any questions about LS, do your research on TLS. If you can't find what you're looking for after you've searched, start a thread in the proper sub-forum.

To answer your question, adcoms dont give a fuck how many units you take. All that they care about is your overall GPA and LSAT. They care about your LSAT moreso than they care about your GPA; that is not to say that your GPA doesn't matter.

Good luck!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:35 pm

Units = credits correct?

I take your regular old 15 per semester. Studying was not a problem in spring not do I anticipate it to be one this fall. Why is everyone acting like 15 is a lot? It's normal.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:40 pm

Br3v wrote:Units = credits correct?

I take your regular old 15 per semester. Studying was not a problem in spring not do I anticipate it to be one this fall. Why is everyone acting like 15 is a lot? It's normal.
15 can be difficult, depending on what classes you're taking.

I say study when you have no other obligations, but thats just like... my opinion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:55 pm

I always take "12~3" credits for getting a high GPA(4.0+). No regret and the best decision in undergrad :mrgreen:

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:56 am

lovejopd wrote:I always take "12~3" credits for getting a high GPA(4.0+). No regret and the best decision in undergrad :mrgreen:
I wish I would have done this. I rushed UG, and my grades partially suffered as a result.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:17 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:
lovejopd wrote:I always take "12~3" credits for getting a high GPA(4.0+). No regret and the best decision in undergrad :mrgreen:
I wish I would have done this. I rushed UG, and my grades partially suffered as a result.
+1

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:51 am

StrictlyBusiness wrote:I took 21 hours my entire 4th year, including 3 last summer while abroad. Most of those hours were things like intermediate golf and psychology classes. Just get As and kill the LSAT and how you spend senior year will never come up.
You got grades for that shit? Are you serious?

To OP, it doesn't matter how many credits you take, just that you get As in them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:40 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
StrictlyBusiness wrote:I took 21 hours my entire 4th year, including 3 last summer while abroad. Most of those hours were things like intermediate golf and psychology classes. Just get As and kill the LSAT and how you spend senior year will never come up.

To OP, it doesn't matter how many credits you take, just that you get As in them.
Dead serious, and naturally I took beginner golf as the pre-req. You'd be amazed some of the classes you can take at big state schools. I also took 18-21 hours a semesters first two years, so once I decided on law school it was just a matter of don't mess up the GPA.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:46 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
You're thinking of Intro to Golf. Intermediate Golf is actually quite rigorous.

To OP - there's lots of bad info floating around out there. Whoever told you that the 13 units would reflect poorly on you is giving you some of it. I wouldn't listen to them in the future. I also wouldn't listen to your other friends, either. For something like this (i.e. very important info that affects your life), it's usually best to do your own research.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”