Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jurisx
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby jurisx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:32 pm

WannabeeLawyer wrote:
jurisx wrote:
AC Vegas wrote:What are the odds this thread wasn't created by the guy who made that site looking to get traffic to his stupid redundant no-news blog?


with one post to his name-yes. 100%

hey, sorry, but I am just trying to figure out what to do with my life. I cannot get any kind of work except retail. I need something here. Help me out, man.


What makes you say that? What is your BA in? What was your GPA? What was your LSAT? What is your work history? Any arrests?

(They will ask this all at even those schools, so might as well be honest up front and get real advice on it)

AC Vegas
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby AC Vegas » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:33 pm

WannabeeLawyer wrote:
jurisx wrote:
AC Vegas wrote:What are the odds this thread wasn't created by the guy who made that site looking to get traffic to his stupid redundant no-news blog?


with one post to his name-yes. 100%

hey, sorry, but I am just trying to figure out what to do with my life. I cannot get any kind of work except retail. I need something here. Help me out, man.


life advice: don't be the guy writing a blog about shitty law schools.

If its not your blog, what are you looking for then? Your job prospects are better now than they ever will be if you go to a TTTT law school.

jurisx
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby jurisx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:36 pm

AC Vegas wrote:
WannabeeLawyer wrote:
jurisx wrote:
AC Vegas wrote:What are the odds this thread wasn't created by the guy who made that site looking to get traffic to his stupid redundant no-news blog?


with one post to his name-yes. 100%

hey, sorry, but I am just trying to figure out what to do with my life. I cannot get any kind of work except retail. I need something here. Help me out, man.


life advice: don't be the guy writing a blog about shitty law schools.

If its not your blog, what are you looking for then? Your job prospects are better now than they ever will be if you go to a TTTT law school.

people say that, it is always a lie.

If he fails out and ruins credit then yes, if he graduates then no.
Always better with grad school than without. (Hell, even a shitty MBA is better than nothing).

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby mattviphky » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:46 pm

jurisx wrote:They won't close (most anyways) they will just raise tuition prices on those who have no other option but attend. The majority of people who would attend a 4th Tier law or CBE type law school would also do so at twice the average tuition rate. Desperation plus Hubris is an evil cocktail for those who consume it. Capitalism at it's prime example.


if capitalism had anything to do with it, they wouldn't be going to those schools. I promise you that these kids are going on federal loans, which are given to nearly anyone. Private lenders are a little bit more critical about the money they give away.

AC Vegas
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby AC Vegas » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:48 pm

jurisx wrote:people say that, it is always a lie.

If he fails out and ruins credit then yes, if he graduates then no.
Always better with grad school than without. (Hell, even a shitty MBA is better than nothing).


While the number of jobs a person is technically qualified for may increase, the number of jobs that the person can afford to take, such as entry level jobs that can lead to successful careers, certainly decreases.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby goldenflash19 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:29 pm

jurisx wrote:people say that, it is always a lie.

If he fails out and ruins credit then yes, if he graduates then no.
Always better with grad school than without. (Hell, even a shitty MBA is better than nothing).


Not necessarily. First, you actually have to find a job after you graduate. For those who don't, having a JD on your resume can make you overqualified for many positions and cause some nonlegal employers to be hesitant to hire you. If you leave it off your resume, you have a 3 year gap to explain. If you wind up in a career you could have easily gotten without attending law school, then you are far worse off for attending. On top of what you paid for school, there's opportunity costs and time.

The Death Watch Site is a huge waste of time.

anonymouse2828
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:14 am

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby anonymouse2828 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:08 pm

Enrollment down and low employment numbers... the same situation at all law schools around the nation. Wait, around the world actually. Just because these small school have no funds to hire-back recent grads to bolster their employment number doesn't mean anything. "% of jobs that require a JD or Bar passage?" Make a CDO position that requires a JD, make a research position that requires BAR admission... pay next to nothing, increase employment numbers, and thus increase US News rankings. Besides, many of the "stats" are based on graduate self-reports, which usually are not verified.

The Death Blog was useless. I know for a fact that some of those colleges in So.Cal. are under hard times, but at the same time, there is solid funding behind some of them in an effort to restructure. Also, not all students want to go into big law. Many students who attend small TTTT schools either have jobs lined up already, are employer sponsored, or have parent's money funding them.

TTTT w/ full ride is also a good way to see if you've got "it." If you can't make it through 1L at a TTTT, at least it was mostly free, and you didn't waste 40-50k to "Test the waters."

WannabeeLawyer
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:31 am

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby WannabeeLawyer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:30 am

jurisx wrote:
WannabeeLawyer wrote:
jurisx wrote:
AC Vegas wrote:What are the odds this thread wasn't created by the guy who made that site looking to get traffic to his stupid redundant no-news blog?


with one post to his name-yes. 100%

hey, sorry, but I am just trying to figure out what to do with my life. I cannot get any kind of work except retail. I need something here. Help me out, man.


What makes you say that? What is your BA in? What was your GPA? What was your LSAT? What is your work history? Any arrests?


BA in political science, 3.1 GPA 150 LSAT
22 year old, retail work experience, no arrests.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby goldenflash19 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:25 am

WannabeeLawyer wrote: BA in political science, 3.1 GPA 150 LSAT 22 year old, retail work experience, no arrests.


The best thing you can do to help yourself is start studying for a retake. Admissions is a numbers game.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby North » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:11 am

WannabeeLawyer wrote:BA in political science, 3.1 GPA 150 LSAT
22 year old, retail work experience, no arrests.
Yeah, you desperately need to retake the LSAT. Retail is better than the average prospects of any school you could get into with your current numbers. Go to this site and do a few searches with your GPA range (3.0 - 3.1) and individual LSAT scores. When you see what 15, 20 more points can get you, you'll decide to retake. When you do, go to this forum and get to work. If you are dead-set on law, taking as long as you need to to get a 170+ on the LSAT is the best thing you can do for yourself and your finances.

ze2151
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby ze2151 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:13 am

you folks treating wannabeelawyer like anything other than a troll are way too nice.

wildcard174
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:05 am

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby wildcard174 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:28 am

ze2151 wrote:you folks treating wannabeelawyer like anything other than a troll are way too nice.


This.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby North » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:45 am

You're probably right, but this
WannabeeLawyer wrote:hey, sorry, but I am just trying to figure out what to do with my life. I cannot get any kind of work except retail. I need something here. Help me out, man.
was so fucking pathetic that I couldn't help but feel piTTTy.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:58 am

anonymouse2828 wrote: Also, not all students want to go into big law. Many students who attend small TTTT schools either have jobs lined up already, are employer sponsored, or have parent's money funding them.


i'm skeptical. TTTTs always seem to make the list of the greatest percentage of students taking out loans and the greatest loan balances. maybe 10% are in the positions you are describing but i think that's generous. the bottom line is that no TTTT should cost as much as T6 schools. that's not to mention that T6 schools cost way too much but at least the majority of their students can eventually repay.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby goldenflash19 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:12 am

wildcard174 wrote:
ze2151 wrote:you folks treating wannabeelawyer like anything other than a troll are way too nice.


This.


I probably should be treating OP like a troll, but it does look like a decent amount of time went into that terrible blog. If OP created it, he's either a really devoted troll, or someone who could be putting his time towards a lot better use on a retake.

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby splitbrain » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:44 am

anonymouse2828 wrote:Many students who attend small TTTT schools either have jobs lined up already, are employer sponsored, or have parent's money funding them.

[Citation needed]

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:54 am

wildcard174 wrote:
ze2151 wrote:you folks treating wannabeelawyer like anything other than a troll are way too nice.


This.


Just because OP posted a link to a blog doesn't mean they are affiliated with the blog.

OP, obviously you should retake. An October retake would be ideal, so start studying NOW, but spend as much time as necessary to peak before you take it again. The links North provided are very useful. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ?f=6&t=396
Last edited by Nova on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby mr.hands » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:31 pm

splitbrain wrote:
anonymouse2828 wrote:Many students who attend small TTTT schools either have jobs lined up already, are employer sponsored, or have parent's money funding them.

[Citation needed]


+1. That's a pretty bold claim.

The fact that TTTT schools are (1) often as expensive as T20 schools (2) have shitty job prospects and (3) no LRAP, is absolutely terrifying. We'd all be better off if some of these schools tanked

User avatar
jcccc
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby jcccc » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:50 am

Moral of the story.
Don't go to a shit school.
T14 or bust.

jurisx
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby jurisx » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:50 pm

I notice how they added cooley shortly after I pointed out here it wasn't on it, and then tried to advertise it on WSJ's comments under the article about the lawsuit against cooley being dropped.

Desperate and sad.

At least you ain't Nando kid. Take pride in that. You could have an odd fetish with poop filled toilets and hardcore blackgay porn. Life could be worse.

anonymouse2828
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:14 am

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby anonymouse2828 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:47 am

mr.hands wrote:
splitbrain wrote:
anonymouse2828 wrote:Many students who attend small TTTT schools either have jobs lined up already, are employer sponsored, or have parent's money funding them.

[Citation needed]


+1. That's a pretty bold claim.

The fact that TTTT schools are (1) often as expensive as T20 schools (2) have shitty job prospects and (3) no LRAP, is absolutely terrifying. We'd all be better off if some of these schools tanked



Law schools cost money to run, and depending on enrollment/class size/location/etc, the cost per student could be the same or greater than T1 schools. Yes, employment is shitty... in big law. The TTTT I went to had pretty decent prospects in local government though.

Also, maybe "many" isn't the right relative word to use, and "some" would be better... but several of my former classmates basically had jobs lined up already, be it a JAG PLC program, or working w/ a friend or family after graduation.

If anything, my TTTT would be the closest one to tanking, but there's no other law school in that region. However, I really did like the faculty and staff at the school, and the quality of education that I got was great FWIW. But I went there with one goal, to transfer, which I did.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby North » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:46 am

anonymouse2828 wrote:Law schools cost money to run, and depending on enrollment/class size/location/etc, the cost per student could be the same or greater than T1 schools. Yes, employment is shitty... in big law. The TTTT I went to had pretty decent prospects in local government though.

Also, maybe "many" isn't the right relative word to use, and "some" would be better... but several of my former classmates basically had jobs lined up already, be it a JAG PLC program, or working w/ a friend or family after graduation.

If anything, my TTTT would be the closest one to tanking, but there's no other law school in that region. However, I really did like the faculty and staff at the school, and the quality of education that I got was great FWIW. But I went there with one goal, to transfer, which I did.

Oh look, andcdotes.

WannabeeLawyer
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:31 am

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby WannabeeLawyer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:52 am

I am strongly considering applying to some of the schools listed on this guy's blog post here:

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... n-roc.html



Do I have a chance at a scholarship at any of those schools? What about brooklyn law school?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:16 am

.....

You cant be serious.

You have a 150. Retake.

JohnV
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:29 am

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Postby JohnV » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:25 pm

jcccc wrote:Moral of the story.
Don't go to a shit school.
T14 or bust.


I'd say T1 or bust. Some schools outside of the T14 are perfectly fine to go to (perhaps not at sticker, but with some scholly money definitely).




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: earldasquirel and 8 guests