Cooley Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SplitOrBust

New

Cooley Law

Post by SplitOrBust » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:45 am

Hello all. I created this account for some advice. I went to a private university in Michigan but heavily underperformed with a 2.6 gpa. I studied for a 3-5 months for the LSAT in hopes for t14, to my dismay, I got a 149. I took it two more times and ended with a 150.

I want to practice, I don't care how much I make but I want to work in Michigan. Every school besides Cooley rejected me. I applied to Cornell, GULC ect. Cooley has not offered me a scholarship.

I just got off the waitlist. Should I attend Cooley? My Law school debt and UG debt will total 380k.

Thank you so much

Ded Precedent

Silver

Re: Cooley Law

Post by Ded Precedent » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:52 am

Least creative flame ever?

barestin

New

Post by barestin » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:53 am

Yes.

SplitOrBust

New

Post by SplitOrBust » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:54 am

Ded Precedent wrote:Least creative flame ever?
sorry but I'm afraid not. I'm not sitting here looking for big law. I am honest. that chance came and passed with my stats. Now, I just want to give to the community but the debt seems so overwhelming

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:12 am

Schools like Cooley prey on people such as yourself. That is, Cooley sells you on the idea that you won't get a biglaw job from Cooley, but that you will still get a legal job, such as helping people. The problem is that there aren't enough legal jobs, and public interest jobs are more competitive than biglaw jobs.

Likely outcomes from Cooley:
End up in a non-legal job with six figures of debt.
End up unemployed.

Attending Cooley at sticker price is an objectively irrational decision, no matter how much you want to be a lawyer.
Don't go.

Sources:
--LinkRemoved--
http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 58142.html
SplitOrBust wrote:My Law school debt and UG debt will total 380k.
Pretty sure this is a flame, but I wrote my post in hopes that someone may yet find this information useful (e.g. Google search).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SplitOrBust

New

Post by SplitOrBust » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:16 am

can I attend Cooley and open up my own firm? This is not a flame. why do people say there isn't enough jobs when you can make your own practice?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:22 am

Law school does not teach you to practice law. This is an insider secret. That's why all solo practitioners work in firms for a few years before going solo.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:31 am

SplitOrBust wrote:can I attend Cooley and open up my own firm? This is not a flame. why do people say there isn't enough jobs when you can make your own practice?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=187829

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:34 am

Ded Precedent wrote:Least creative flame ever?
Yep.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:35 am

SplitOrBust wrote:Hello all. I created this account for some advice. I went to a private university in Michigan but heavily underperformed with a 2.6 gpa. I studied for a 3-5 months for the LSAT in hopes for t14, to my dismay, I got a 149. I took it two more times and ended with a 150.

I want to practice, I don't care how much I make but I want to work in Michigan. Every school besides Cooley rejected me. I applied to Cornell, GULC ect. Cooley has not offered me a scholarship.

I just got off the waitlist. Should I attend Cooley? My Law school debt and UG debt will total 380k.

Thank you so much
Dudewutyeah... go for it.

SplitOrBust

New

Post by SplitOrBust » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:38 am

KevinP wrote:
SplitOrBust wrote:can I attend Cooley and open up my own firm? This is not a flame. why do people say there isn't enough jobs when you can make your own practice?
So that's it? that's it for me? I can do NOTHING and forget law?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:42 am

SplitOrBust wrote:
KevinP wrote:

Yep, that is correct. Or you can work more on TLS flaming skills while figuring out your true calling (or retake LSAT and if 165+ enjoy half-way decent school).

SplitOrBust

New

Post by SplitOrBust » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:46 am

Lawquacious wrote:
SplitOrBust wrote:
KevinP wrote:

Yep, that is correct. Or you can work more on TLS flaming skills while figuring out your true calling (or retake LSAT and if 165+ enjoy half-way decent school).
Listen. this is my life we are talking about. leave the flame shit out of this. I need to wait two years for a fourth LSAT. I will do self study, how does my plan look? Lr Bible Games bible Manhattan RC and 60 preptests? I am a Art History major of that's any bonus

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JohnV

Bronze

Post by JohnV » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:48 am

If this isn't a flame then I really do feel bad for you. But under no circumstances should anyone ever attend Cooley... ESPECIALLY if you are looking at that colossal amount of debt with absolutely no way to pay it off because it's likely you'll end up unemployed/self-employed with a practice that you don't know how to run/failing the bar multiple times.

Assuming this is real, my advice to you (and everyone's advice) is either do better on the LSAT (which people here are more than happy to help facilitate) or find something else to do with your life. Taking that advice would save you a lot of pain in the future.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:51 am

Weak troll.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”