Uni gpa actually higher than cc gpa (Worried)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
paellawithlobster

Uni gpa actually higher than cc gpa (Worried)

Postby paellawithlobster » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:43 pm

I have kind of a unique problem, but I'm not sure it's even a problem. People have told me I'm being paranoid.

I've finished my junior year in university, and currently have a 3.7, which is higher than my final gpa at community college (before I transferred in). Will this send up red flags? Don't get me wrong, I worked 10x as hard in the past year after I transferred, I simply wasn't motivated at CC and the lower gpa was largely due to 1 bad semester.

If you use LSDAS' policy of counting both grades for gpa calculation when a student repeats a course they failed, my community college gpa would be around a 3.4. On the other hand, both my community college and the university I transferred to have a policy that replaces the old grade with the new one when a student repeats the course, so my actual CC gpa as it appears on the transcript is a 3.6, which is not so different from my current uni gpa.

Will I have to explain this somehow, or will they just assume an upward trend due to greater effort?

:|

sunynp

Re: Uni gpa actually higher than cc gpa (Worried)

Postby sunynp » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:46 pm

paellawithlobster wrote:I have kind of a unique problem, but I'm not sure it's even a problem. People have told me I'm being paranoid.

I've finished my junior year in university, and currently have a 3.7, which is higher than my final gpa at community college (before I transferred in). Will this send up red flags? Don't get me wrong, I worked 10x as hard in the past year after I transferred, I simply wasn't motivated at CC and the lower gpa was largely due to 1 bad semester.

If you use LSDAS' policy of counting both grades for gpa calculation when a student repeats a course they failed, my community college gpa would be around a 3.4. On the other hand, both my community college and the university I transferred to have a policy that replaces the old grade with the new one when a student repeats the course, so my actual CC gpa as it appears on the transcript is a 3.6, which is not so different from my current uni gpa.

Will I have to explain this somehow, or will they just assume an upward trend due to greater effort?

:|

LSDAS only calculates one GPA and it counts all your classes from both schools. No one is even going to know the GPAs of the different schools, and they won't care. But you should know calculate your LSDAS GPA using all the courses and see where you are.

paellawithlobster

Postby paellawithlobster » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:51 pm

:o They don't even see individual classes?? At all?!?

I was so afraid it would look suspicious or make people scream "grade inflationzzzomgogrzzz!!!" (Really, I just worked 10x as hard!!)

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:01 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:02 pm

paellawithlobster wrote::o They don't even see individual classes?? At all?!?

I was so afraid it would look suspicious or make people scream "grade inflationzzzomgogrzzz!!!" (Really, I just worked 10x as hard!!)

Lots of people here started out not caring or working as hard as they should. They usually end up with GPAs worse than yours. So you are not alone. But keep at it and get your final GPA as high as possible.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”