Cumulative GPA vs. Major GPA vs. LSDAS GPA on Resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mr. Frodo

Cumulative GPA vs. Major GPA vs. LSDAS GPA on Resume

Postby Mr. Frodo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:36 am

Currently I have cumulative GPA on my resume, but I was wondering if I should list/replace my cumulative with either one/both of my major discipline curriculum GPA (the majority of my classes, and the classes most relevant to what I'm actually going to school for, obviously) and LSDAS GPA.

Cum GPA = 3.95 of 4.00 (damn you, chemistry), Engineering GPA = 4.00 of 4.00, LSDAS GPA = 4.08

Having been on 3 coops and worked at great Philly-based engineering firms, my resume is pretty strong otherwise, so any comments you can provide to help me decide on this one small part will enable me to finish my resume.

Thanks!

Re: Cumulative GPA vs. Major GPA vs. LSDAS GPA on Resume

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:00 pm

For LS applications I would put your LSDAS GPA (but label it as such). They know what that means and that is what they are evaluating you on anyway so why not?

If you are talking about for internships or jobs or whatnot, I would stick with cumulative or major. Your cumulative is good enough that I would do that though. If someone were to show me a resume that said "Major GPA - 4.0" I would immediately think "Oh so they did poorly in non major classes" which you clearly did not.

Mr. Frodo

Postby Mr. Frodo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:14 pm

2014 wrote:For LS applications I would put your LSDAS GPA (but label it as such). They know what that means and that is what they are evaluating you on anyway so why not?

If you are talking about for internships or jobs or whatnot, I would stick with cumulative or major. Your cumulative is good enough that I would do that though. If someone were to show me a resume that said "Major GPA - 4.0" I would immediately think "Oh so they did poorly in non major classes" which you clearly did not.

Thanks. I agree. Posting all three would be alright in my eyes, except that I have no room to post three. And you're right, for the purposes of applications, might as well give the committees exactly what they're looking for (although, I assume committees look at your resume after your transcript, so they likely already know your GPA anyway).

hopper123

Postby hopper123 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:19 pm

Put both major and overall for jobs. For your case, if it were a law school app i would use your lsdas gpa. I def used my overall gpa for my law school resume as it was much higher than the lsdas gpa. Also i got all interviews even though i only listed one of my major gpas (and none was perfect there).

Honestly if he were to apply to engineering jobs maybe even other jos i dont think anyone would say "he did poorly in some class." who cares they would say. He is strong in engineering which is not a walk in the park and matters most to engineering firms so obviously a slip in some non engineering class is fine and might even make for a better candidte than a mr. Perfect. In fact let them scour through his transcript to see where he "messed up." i honestly think he should list both as it could be turned into a great talking point.

zabava

Postby zabava » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:56 pm

[ I def used my overall gpa for my law school resume as it was much higher than the lsdas gpa. Also i got all interviews even though i only listed one of my major gpas (and none was perfect there).[/quote]

So do you think it would be okay for me to put the lsdas gpa from my degree school onto my law school resume instead of the cumulative lsdas gpa? (degree granting institution gpa is much higher than cumulative)

I'm just using my regular school-calculated average for job resumes, it makes the most sense to me :-)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”