Taking an LSAT throughout several days. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JohnV

Bronze

Taking an LSAT throughout several days.

Post by JohnV » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:42 am

Should I count the score of a test that I complete within the course of a week (Ex: RC Sunday, LR1 Monday, LR2 Tuesday, LG3 Wednesday) as a score to keep track of my progress? Obviously if I were to take considerable time between sections, like several weeks to a month, the score would be dated, but what about within a few days?

I don't have a lot of time to sit aside 4 - 5 hours (work, school) for an entire PT. Those usually can only occur on weekends. But throughout a week I usually finish a PT or 2 so I'm wondering how accurate you guys think this score would be and if I should give them any real consideration or neglect the scaled score due to some sort of bias/inaccuracy.

EDIT: Gah, sorry, I have multiple browsers up and posted in the wrong forum by mistake. Mods, please move this thread.

westinghouse60

Bronze

Re: Taking an LSAT throughout several days.

Post by westinghouse60 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:47 am

Taking sections days apart makes a score overall it pretty meaningless, sorry. Even taking 5 minute breaks between sections makes it far easier than the actual test. I suppose if you're just starting out though, you can keep track of progress section to section, ie if you're struggling on LG do a section of those every day to gauge progress, just don't expect that to translate to a real test.

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:59 pm

JohnV wrote:Should I count the score of a test that I complete within the course of a week (Ex: RC Sunday, LR1 Monday, LR2 Tuesday, LG3 Wednesday) as a score to keep track of my progress? Obviously if I were to take considerable time between sections, like several weeks to a month, the score would be dated, but what about within a few days?

I don't have a lot of time to sit aside 4 - 5 hours (work, school) for an entire PT. Those usually can only occur on weekends. But throughout a week I usually finish a PT or 2 so I'm wondering how accurate you guys think this score would be and if I should give them any real consideration or neglect the scaled score due to some sort of bias/inaccuracy.

EDIT: Gah, sorry, I have multiple browsers up and posted in the wrong forum by mistake. Mods, please move this thread.
Would you break a marathon up into five parts over several days and then add them together and say "this is how long it takes me to run 26.5 miles"?

JohnV

Bronze

Post by JohnV » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:51 pm

oaken wrote:
JohnV wrote:Should I count the score of a test that I complete within the course of a week (Ex: RC Sunday, LR1 Monday, LR2 Tuesday, LG3 Wednesday) as a score to keep track of my progress? Obviously if I were to take considerable time between sections, like several weeks to a month, the score would be dated, but what about within a few days?

Would you break a marathon up into five parts over several days and then add them together and say "this is how long it takes me to run 26.5 miles"?
Interesting analogy but I don't think it really applies. Through the PT's I've taken, endurance has not been much of an issue. I no longer notice any significant drops at the end of test in my score than would be expected.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:42 pm

It's fine once you know for certain that endurance isn't an issue. You only know this after you've taken plenty 5 section PTs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:43 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:It's fine once you know for certain that endurance isn't an issue. You only know this after you've taken plenty 5 section PTs.
+1

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:51 pm

the only score that matters is the one you get on test day, man.

5 sections at once > 5 sections over 3 days > not prepping at all

just do what you can.

anonymouse2828

New

Post by anonymouse2828 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:20 pm

I assume you're taking Sept LSAT or later, and applying in Jan 2013? In that case, you've got plenty of time.

I would invest in a prep-course. However, if you are REALLY disciplined, you can find resources online, etc. Make sure you try to use REAL LSAT questions, I've seen many bad "LSAT-like" questions.

Also, you don't need to take a ton of full-length exams. one every weekend or every-other weekend to gauge your progress should be sufficient. Make sure you take one that's a prior test w/ answers, so you can accurately gauge your progress. Between practice tests, you should be working on the sections you're bad at. One problem section at a time to improve your timing and proficiency per question type, and then every now and then an entire section.

Lastly, go exercise. Physical endurance has a big effect of mental endurance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”