Weird LoR Situation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dollface

New

Weird LoR Situation

Post by dollface » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:25 pm

So here's my thing: I graduated from undergrad in 2009. I was going to apply in fall 2010 and went so far as to get recommendations from my old professors written and uploaded onto LSAC, but I got nervous and decided to wait. Well, done waiting. Question is, new recs, or just use the old ones? Problem is, they liked me at the time, but haven't seen or heard from me in a while (b/c embarrassing to have a freakout like that mostly). Haven't really developed too close of a relationship with any superior since (was in another grad program in the interim, but could probably only get an ok, not great, letter out of it). So:

1. use old ones?
2. make old profs write new ones dated more recently?
3. get new prof (and maybe a boss) to write less glowing, less informed letter(s)?

176/4.0 so it's kind of only a little-p "problem" and I am an a-hole for whining etc. but would really like best shot at one of the schools with generous low-income loan repayment assistance in case I lay an egg in recruiting a few years down the road or in case the politician that you hate gets elected and ruins everything just like that fool Sammy Hagar.

What's worse, looking like a weirdo who does things 2 years in advance, or looking like no one really likes you?

Nova

Platinum

Re: Weird LoR Situation

Post by Nova » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:41 pm

IMO, 2 sounds best. Dont have them rewrite it completely though. Just have them update minor stuff and put a new date on it.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:08 pm

Actually, I think this will matter quite a bit for your chances at Yale, so I'd take it very seriously. Meet with your old profs, chat for an hour, and give them an updated resume and writing sample. You can even email them http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... ation.aspx and say that you thought it might be helpful.

dollface

New

Post by dollface » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:22 pm

Ok, thanks that's actually really helpful--hadn't looked at the "admissions blog" at Yale. Will comply blindly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”