Calling the Dean of Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
melville89

Calling the Dean of Admissions

Postby melville89 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:20 pm

I am currently waitlisted at my dream school and am still clinging on to hope that I will get off.

My brother is a 3L at this law school and personally knows the Dean of Admissions. He has told me that is is ABSOLUTELY in my best interest to call the dean and personally speak with her and "sell myself." Apparently past waitlisters that have done this, and it has been viewed positively by the dean and the admissions committee.

I am not very close with my brother, so that was the extent of the knowledge he has given me, and will give me.

My question is.... what do I say? I feel like I need a question or preface for calling, not just to "sell myself."

I realize this question is sounds kind of stupid, but seriously, I have no idea how to "sell myself" and what to say.

Any ideas would be welcome.

thederangedwang

Re: Calling the Dean of Admissions

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:38 pm

first concern is if it is even a good idea to call...im not sure on this

second, even if you call and make a good impression, if they dont have spots then they dont have spots

third, what school?

Postby 2014 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:03 am

Close to your brother or not, is he willing to speak to her and put in a good word for you? He is the one with the relationship with her and he could potentially make a difference.

tigershark

Postby tigershark » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Franky, I think an in person visit is better than a phone call. I set up a tour and arranged a visit with the dean of admission at my dream school (which I was waitlisted at) and I was accepted 1 hour after leaving. There's something about putting a name to a face and taking the time to stop in rather than just call.

That being said, I don't know whether visiting is realistic for you (maybe the school is out of state?) but I would recommend ASKING if you can talk, not just calling and ambushing the dean.

Also, if your brother is close with the dean, have him put in a good word.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:14 pm

2014 wrote:Close to your brother or not, is he willing to speak to her and put in a good word for you? He is the one with the relationship with her and he could potentially make a difference.

This. Your brother should first broach the topic with the Dean. If the Dean is receptive, he should offer to put you in touch with the Dean, either in person or on the phone.

You have no leverage here except your brother's relationship. Use that.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
2014 wrote:Close to your brother or not, is he willing to speak to her and put in a good word for you? He is the one with the relationship with her and he could potentially make a difference.

This. Your brother should first broach the topic with the Dean. If the Dean is receptive, he should offer to put you in touch with the Dean, either in person or on the phone.

You have no leverage here except your brother's relationship. Use that.

Yeah, most people don't like cold calls.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”