LORs for Splitters Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Is two LORs fine for a Splitter?

Yeah, nobody cares anyway.
73%
No, rack them up to show that you don't suck as much as your 3.3 says you do.
27%

Total votes: 15

North

Gold

LORs for Splitters

Post by North » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:59 pm

Alright, I'm an aspiring splitter. 3.35 GPA, working on a 170+. I know that traditional, low-GPA splitters have to overcompensate on the LSAT to have a shot at the T14. I'm wondering, though, whether they should overcompensate in other areas of their application package -- particularly, LORs. Right now, I have two confirmed that should be average/good-ish.

Would it be wise for me to start angling for a third, or is the standard advice for non-splitter applicants (that two LORs is just fine) applicable in my case?

VasaVasori

Silver

Post by VasaVasori » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:02 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Re: LORs for Splitters

Post by shifty_eyed » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:41 pm

Study for dat LSAT instead

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:02 am

Yeah any time spent gunning for that 3rd LOR that could have been spent either upping your GPA, your LSAT, or even bringing in income is a waste.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:04 am

I only had two meh recs; my app cycle went about as well as splitters app cycles do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:46 am

Then LSAT it is. You guys are the best.

tigershark

New

Post by tigershark » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:00 pm

North wrote:Alright, I'm an aspiring splitter. 3.35 GPA, working on a 170+. I know that traditional, low-GPA splitters have to overcompensate on the LSAT to have a shot at the T14. I'm wondering, though, whether they should overcompensate in other areas of their application package -- particularly, LORs. Right now, I have two confirmed that should be average/good-ish.

Would it be wise for me to start angling for a third, or is the standard advice for non-splitter applicants (that two LORs is just fine) applicable in my case?
Why even bother submitting average LORs? I don't think that will work in your favor at all and won't compensate for the low GPA

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:05 pm

tigershark wrote:
North wrote:Alright, I'm an aspiring splitter. 3.35 GPA, working on a 170+. I know that traditional, low-GPA splitters have to overcompensate on the LSAT to have a shot at the T14. I'm wondering, though, whether they should overcompensate in other areas of their application package -- particularly, LORs. Right now, I have two confirmed that should be average/good-ish.

Why even bother submitting average LORs? I don't think that will work in your favor at all and won't compensate for the low GPA

Probably because they are required.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:08 pm

tigershark wrote:

I seriously doubt great LORs would make a much of a difference either.
For splitters,
Median/above LSAT with shit LORs >>>>> Below median LSAT (even by 1 point) with amazing LORs.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:10 pm

IMO, you should get letters of recommendation from professors who can attest to your ability to become a law student. Because you have a low GPA the first question on the adcomm's mind is going to be whether or not you can handle the academic rigor that is law school. You should make sure that your LOR writers can attest to your academic ability in a direct, personal, and confident way. Also, if you plan on writing a GPA Addendum, it might help to have at least one of your recommenders mention something about that in their letter so that your excuse for attaining a low GPA is further legitimized.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”