Law schools in the South Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
meika02

New

Law schools in the South

Post by meika02 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:00 am

I currently live in South Carolina and would like to attend a decent law school. I am willing to relocate to either Georgia or North Carolina. Does anyone have any suggestions on which law schools I should apply for. I recieved my undergrad degree this May (Gpa 3.4) and I scored 142 on my lsat (no prep classes). I am going to be retaking the lsat this October.

Danteshek

Gold

Re: Law schools in the South

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:03 am

meika02 wrote:I currently live in South Carolina and would like to attend a decent law school. I am willing to relocate to either Georgia or North Carolina. Does anyone have any suggestions on which law schools I should apply for. I recieved my undergrad degree this May (Gpa 3.4) and I scored 142 on my lsat (no prep classes). I am going to be retaking the lsat this October.
Cooley Tampa

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:07 am

Danteshek wrote:
meika02 wrote:I currently live in South Carolina and would like to attend a decent law school. I am willing to relocate to either Georgia or North Carolina. Does anyone have any suggestions on which law schools I should apply for. I recieved my undergrad degree this May (Gpa 3.4) and I scored 142 on my lsat (no prep classes). I am going to be retaking the lsat this October.
Cooley Tampa
Don't be an asshole.

OP, try to take an LSAT class before your retake. If those are the areas you want to live and work in, you should look at:

Virginia
Duke
Vanderbilt
Emory
UNC
Wake Forest
South Carolina

I think your best bet, considering your first score, would be to get a 160 or higher on a retake and get into South Carolina, in-state tuition, with a large scholarship. Good luck.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 am

The op would have a hard time getting into UNC (out of state) on up with a 3.4 gpa even with a good LSAT (<169).

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:16 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:The op would have a hard time getting into UNC (out of state) on up with a 3.4 gpa even with a good LSAT (<169).
Yeah, I realized that after I posted, but it never hurts for OP to take a look and realize that retaking is the way to go to get the job they want.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:20 am

Focus only on the LSAT right now and if you have to, be prepared to retake in December / February.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:31 am

USC is probably your best bet. It all depends on how well you do on the retake though. Go here, http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ?f=6&t=396, and buy these: Manhattan
20s, 30s, 50s
dkb17xzx wrote:Focus only on the LSAT right now and if you have to, be prepared to retake in December / February.
This will likely be the case. OP may also want to consider retaking next June instead, if the 1st retake doesnt go well.

OP, IMO, you should wait till Dec to do your first retake, because I seriously doubt you will be able to peak over the next 10 weeks of so. Applying a little late with a few more points > applying on time with a few less points

meika02

New

Post by meika02 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:33 pm

I appreciate the advice guys.

Wry

New

Post by Wry » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:34 pm

op i'm not sure any schools other than uga and unc are worth it in the area you're looking. and even they are really expensive, they only look inexpensive when compared with insanely more expensive peer schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”