How many/Which recommenders should I use?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
honeybadger12

How many/Which recommenders should I use?

Postby honeybadger12 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Economics professor #1
This professor has been the Chair of the Economics Department and is highly distinguished and revered at my university. I took all three courses he teaches, all upper-level electives, and received an A+ in each. He knows me well from office hours and interaction during lecture. One quality I want to market about myself is my intellectual curiosity, and I think this professor could speak to that.

Economics professor #2
I took an economics course with this professor in my last semester at my university and received an A+. I attended his office hours nearly weekly throughout the semester and participated regularly during class.

Sociology professor
Freshman year I took his Sociology 100 class and received an A+ (one of two students to do so in a lecture of approximately 200). In that class, we watched a documentary that I felt was one-sided. I respectfully noted this to the professor, whom I already knew fairly well from office hours, and he said if I came up with something of my own he would show it to future classes following the documentary. I interviewed a national figure on the subject, and the following semester I gave a five minute speech and played the interview audio for his lectures. I’ve visited him about once per semester since then; he has met my family. Another selling point I want to include in my application is my integrity, and this professor would certainly speak to that. Maybe his recommendation would be too focused on character and not enough on academics?

Writing pedagogy instructor
I took a writing course with this instructor my junior year, a seminar in peer tutoring (it was a prerequisite for becoming a peer tutor), and received an A. Because it was a writing course and a small discussion-oriented class, she knows my writing strengths well and knows me well personally. She also facilitated the weekly peer tutor meeting the following semester. I am particularly confident that she would craft an articulate and lucid recommendation for me.

I have already approached each of these for a letter and they each responded positively (although I don't think any of them has actually written one yet).

Chucky21

Re: How many/Which recommenders should I use?

Postby Chucky21 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 pm

I'd say econ #1 and sociology. These two seem to know you the most and can write a more personal letter for you. Obviously you did well academically in these classes and everyone will choose a professor from a class they did well in, so you need something to differentiate you. The two that I have specified seem to fit the bill.

akasabian

Re: How many/Which recommenders should I use?

Postby akasabian » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:43 am

Chucky21 wrote:I'd say econ #1 and sociology. These two seem to know you the most and can write a more personal letter for you. Obviously you did well academically in these classes and everyone will choose a professor from a class they did well in, so you need something to differentiate you. The two that I have specified seem to fit the bill.

Agreed.
If you decide you want a third, I'd go with the writing professor since that is a completely different subject and will most likely have a different perspective on you as a student.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”