Application Anxiety

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jhd125

Application Anxiety

Postby jhd125 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:09 pm

I'm new to this forum but would love some feedback because i am EXTREMELY nervous that I won't gain acceptance to any schools. I will be taking the LSAT for the first (and hopefully only) time in October. I have begun to study on my own but am also taking a prep course beginning in August. I have taken diagnostic tests on my own to see where I fall and my scores are worrying me. I have always been a strong test taker but as everyone says, the LSAT is a very different type of test. The only section that is hurting my score is Logic Games. On my own without any prep course, I've been scoring in the 148 region. I have a 3.0 GPA from a high ranked liberal arts school and a very strong resume. I have worked for the DC Attorney General, a US Congressman, as well as in two private law firms since I've been in college.

If anyone could offer some positive stories/advice of LSAT score improvement, they would be much appreciated! I know that law school is exactly what I want and I am terrified that my LSATs will keep me out! Thanks

collegebum1989

Re: Application Anxiety

Postby collegebum1989 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Logic games is the easiest section to improve upon, so that should be good news. Go to LSAT section of the forum and look at PithyPike's guide and ask LSAT-specific questions there.

GirlStop

Postby GirlStop » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:33 pm

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you are PTing in the 140's then LG isn't likely to be the only section you are struggling with. How are you studying for the test? What sections are you struggling with?

A score increase is definitely possible so don't give up !

jhd125

Postby jhd125 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:05 pm

you're right...a little clarification. i am MOSTLY struggling with logic games. by that i mean i'll often get at most 5/6 wrong in LR and RC..but with logic games i'm lucky if i get 5 correct. so by comparison i guess i look at it from the perspective that if i can significantly improve that section i'll be okay. thanks for the advice though!

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Logic games section is entirely learned. Once you learn how to spot what type of problem it is, how to diagram it, and what changes you need to make to get the answer, you'll be getting almost all of them right.

It just takes a lot of time, focus, and maybe reading LSAT guides and/or books.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Do not take the test in October of this year. Sit a year out and retake next year. The reason is simple and I'm going to be blunt.

Your score sucks now. Its going to suck more on test day since you're gonna be nervous. Chances are, you will end up with a low 140 or worse, a high 130. That is a horrendous score. Take a year off, study properly. Study hard, Get as high as you can doing PT's, then take it.

Assuming not troll

GirlStop

Postby GirlStop » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:32 pm

I would definitely recommend the Powerscore Logic Games Bible & Logic Games Workshop

I would also recommend Manhattan LSAT's LR Strategy Guide.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:43 pm

You are in a time where it is a "buyer's market" for law schools - it is easier to get into a better one or get more scholarship money at the equivalent school.

Work on your LSAT and you will be in a better position than people with the same GPA who applied 2 years ago.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:24 pm

thederangedwang wrote:Do not take the test in October of this year. Sit a year out and retake next year. The reason is simple and I'm going to be blunt.

Your score sucks now. Its going to suck more on test day since you're gonna be nervous. Chances are, you will end up with a low 140 or worse, a high 130. That is a horrendous score. Take a year off, study properly. Study hard, Get as high as you can doing PT's, then take it.

Assuming not troll

The bolded is not true. OP is missing 5-6 on LR/RC. AR is easy to learrn and missing 6 per section is already about 160...
Still, youre right that OP very likely wont peak by October.

OP, be prepared to push back till Dec if you havent peaked or retake in Dec to improve your Oct score. Then retake next June if this cycle doesnt go well. You have time.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=396
Manhattan & PTs

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:32 pm

Nova wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:Do not take the test in October of this year. Sit a year out and retake next year. The reason is simple and I'm going to be blunt.

Assuming not troll

The bolded is not true. OP is missing 5-6 on LR/RC. AR is easy to learrn and missing 6 per section is already about 160...
Still, youre right that OP very likely wont peak by October.

OP, be prepared to push back till Dec if you havent peaked or retake in Dec to improve your Oct score. Then retake next June if this cycle doesnt go well. You have time.
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... ?f=6&t=396
Manhattan & PTs

Take in December? wayyy to late. OP sit out a cycle. Even if you somehow miraculously go from getting 5-6 right on LG to missing a few, you still are missing 5-6 on LR and reading. Theres not enough time for you to improve and taking/retaking in Dec is a bad idea. Just sit out a year and get some valuable work exp while your at it

jhd125

Postby jhd125 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:41 pm

I would be thrilled with a 160...not trying to go to Harvard here people..

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:50 pm

Well you can get there by Oct. Its very within reach if you take a week or two to read Manhattan and then drill/pt/review like crazy.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:51 pm

jhd125 wrote:I would be thrilled with a 160...not trying to go to Harvard here people..

dont set the bar low bro.

North

Postby North » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:13 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
jhd125 wrote:I would be thrilled with a 160...not trying to go to Harvard here people..

dont set the bar low bro.
This. And why would you? The LSAT is entirely learnable. You don't have to go to Harvard, but you can put in the work and go to your state flagship or local TTT on a great scholarship. Why wouldn't you put in the work to put yourself in the best position possible?

To do anything else is both stupid and irresponsible.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 am

Nova wrote:The bolded is not true. OP is missing 5-6 on LR/RC. AR is easy to learrn and missing 6 per section is already about 160...

I question those numbers. -5/-6 on 3 sections, with -18 on LG gives you a -33. That converts to a high-150 score. I think OP has more work to do on those sections than he's letting on.

To OP - focus on LG since it's your weakest section, and also the easiest upon which to improve. However, don't neglect the other sections.

Your work experience is pretty solid, though I don't know if those were all straight up jobs, or if any were internships; I also don't know how much WE you have (time-wise). However, it won't be a game-changer (you'd need to be a Chief of Staff or something before it has a huge effect) at most schools. Your GPA is also at the lower end of most school's thresholds, so you'll need a comparably high LSAT.

A 148 isn't a bad place to start from, but get ready for some hard work. People who think of themselves as strong test-takers tend to go in with a bit of a chip on their shoulders and dismiss some of their incorrect answers as stupid mistakes, when they're really mistakes from which you can learn. It holds them back from improving; once they break this belief, they see great score increases. So go in knowing that EVERY mistake you make on the LSAT will teach you something, review everything you get wrong, and don't be afraid to ask dumb questions in class (they're usually the ones that break through some fundamental misunderstanding that's causing you to lose a ton of points).

As far as positive stories, I can't even count the number of students I've seen who went from the 140s to the 160s. If I went through our database, there'd be even more. It's possible, and probable if you put in the work and have the right attitude.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”