grade addendum Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goforbroke

New

grade addendum

Post by goforbroke » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:53 am

Hi everyone,

I just completed a master's at an ivy league school. Whilst in grad school, I took several law classes.
Since I wasn't a law student and because of the curve, I got a low grade in one of these classes.
The rest of my transcript is pretty solid though.

I was thinking I should write an addendum about this poor grade? I was thinking that admissions committees
might see this grade as a poor indicator of my potential as a law student.

What do you think?

Thanks!

DocHawkeye

Silver

Re: grade addendum

Post by DocHawkeye » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:01 am

I wouldn't bother with an addendum. The admissions committee will probably not seriously consider anything on your graduate transcript. I cannot imagine anyone in admissions combing through hundreds of transcripts to determine if any of the applicants ever took a law course. Your graduate transcript will be little beyond a moderate "soft" factor in your application.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:41 am

goforbroke wrote: Since I wasn't a law student and because of the curve, I got a low grade in one of these classes.
Other than the reasons listed by DocHawkeye, I wouldn't write an addendum if the above is what you'd say. It's not like being a law student magically makes you better at law classes (unless you took an upper level class and didn't have the fundamental knowledge you'd learn as a 1L). And if you meant it more as, "I didn't think the grade was as important as law students, for whom it would affect their law school GPA," then you're admitting that you, at times, don't take your education as seriously as you could (just arguing worst case scenario here).

Generally, you shouldn't write an addendum for a single grade unless you have a good reason for that low grade (family emergency, medical, etc...). I don't see one here.

goforbroke

New

Post by goforbroke » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:56 am

Thank you!

I actually took an upper-level course, and since I didn't take Civil Procedure found myself struggling, despite studying insane amounts for the 8 hour take-home exam.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:54 am

goforbroke wrote:Thank you!

I actually took an upper-level course, and since I didn't take Civil Procedure found myself struggling, despite studying insane amounts for the 8 hour take-home exam.
Ah, there you go. Yea, depending on the course, not having that Civ Pro background can hurt (Complex Litigation comes to mind).

But that means you have Civ Pro to look forward to! (Honestly, one of my favorite classes)

goforbroke

New

Post by goforbroke » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks, Shinners! I'm still wrestling with summary judgment!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”