IP Law plans in application process

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tbird

IP Law plans in application process

Postby tbird » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:44 pm

I am a Chemical Engineering major, with a LSDAS GPA of 3.51, with a 4.12 in my core chemical engineering courses(165 LSAT FYI). My plan is and has been to finish my degree in Chemical Engineering, and then to attend law school and become a patent attorney. I am planning on taking and hopefully passing the patent bar exam prior to entering law school.
I have spoken with several patent attorneys in the Phoenix area, and a few have said that I should emphasize my technical background, and my desire to practice patent law a lot in my applications. They have said that law schools that I might not have normally gotten into with my numbers may give me a nod based on the fact that I may have a higher chance of getting employed right out of school based on the IP route. I know IP isn't "economy proof", but I have heard that there are still more patent attorney jobs available than most other practice areas. I have heard that law schools want their statistics to look good across the board, including how many jobs they have placed. Is this something I should emphasize in my PS? Should I emphasize it at all? What would be the best approach if I were to state my plans?
Last edited by tbird on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

collegebum1989

Re: IP Law plans in application process

Postby collegebum1989 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:30 am

Biomedical engineer here, with the same goals as you to enter IP after law school.

Definitely a plus to include it in your personal statement, but don't fixate on it. They will see your experience and your degree on your resume, so don't make it seem like your background is necessary for you to be a great law school candidate.

I would focus on the transition from science to law which in itself makes this a unique PS. In my PS, I focused on career goals using my science experience, but didnt focus on employability or explicitly saying I was unique...thats something you need to show through your experiences ;)

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:32 am

my PS was patent law-oriented and i got into one school i probably shouldn't have, but i really doubt that was the reason. all in all your PS topic just isn't that important.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:36 pm

collegebum1989 wrote:I would focus on the transition from science to law which in itself makes this a unique PS.

Considering there are four people in this thread who it sounds like will write/wrote this PS, I don't know if I'd call it unique. In fact, there really aren't many unique PSs left to write.

Just focus on something interesting about yourself. Don't write something I can get from another section of your application. And don't go scatter-shot - focus on one story/theme.

The interest in IP will be a soft factor in your favor, but not a complete game-changer. It will, however, mean that you probably get a job even if you're not at a top law school, and even without being at the top of your class (obviously, don't rely on this fact while in law school).

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:21 pm

bp shinners wrote:
collegebum1989 wrote:I would focus on the transition from science to law which in itself makes this a unique PS.

Considering there are four people in this thread who it sounds like will write/wrote this PS, I don't know if I'd call it unique. In fact, there really aren't many unique PSs left to write.

Just focus on something interesting about yourself. Don't write something I can get from another section of your application. And don't go scatter-shot - focus on one story/theme.

The interest in IP will be a soft factor in your favor, but not a complete game-changer. It will, however, mean that you probably get a job even if you're not at a top law school, and even without being at the top of your class (obviously, don't rely on this fact while in law school).

I was speaking relatively compared to ALL law school applications. The percentage of people discussing topics relating to scientific research as opposed to other topics is smaller. But I do agree, focus on a story; it must be something that you love, and not something you think will give you an advantage.

Another thing to consider is that people outside of science may not appreciate the science you conducted for research unless to write about it in a certain way. So focus more on conveying how an experience impacted you rather than explicitly detailing what you did. I had trouble with this personally, because I focused on my scientific experiences which people outside of science who read my PS often found boring.

ScottPilgrim

Postby ScottPilgrim » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:59 pm

I would certainly include it. I'm not sure if there was a single patent guy in my graduating class who was unemployed, and the lowest paid was likely the guy working for the USPTO. I'm certain they are setting forward at least a number of seats for the patent-types, and unless you have some awesome background like spending years trying to cure AIDS or living half your life homeless, I'm sure you wouldn't otherwise be too different than a number of other applicants.

You should definitely include the science background, as it will differentiate you from the typical polysci/philosophy type.

BallHog

Postby BallHog » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:23 pm

Nice to see other engineers go into law!

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:09 am

ScottPilgrim wrote:unless you have some awesome background like spending years trying to cure AIDS or living half your life

This is where I am conflicted on my personal statement, I have an interesting international engineering experience but not really related to my career goals. Should I focus on the unique experience or my motivations on pursuing IP?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:37 am

collegebum1989 wrote:This is where I am conflicted on my personal statement, I have an interesting international engineering experience but not really related to my career goals. Should I focus on the unique experience or my motivations on pursuing IP?

You should be able to relate that interesting international ENGINEERING experience to your motivations to pursuing IP, in some way. And, honestly, that sounds like a more interesting story than you telling me why you want to go into IP.

But you should be able to address the latter with the former.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”