Grad School - LOR

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
collegebum1989

Grad School - LOR

Postby collegebum1989 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I had a bad undergrad GPA (~3.2) but I performed at the top of my class in Grad School (Masters GPA: 3.94). While most people say grad school is easier to do well in, my degrees were both in engineering and my undergrad was at a state school at my masters was at a top-10 engineering school.

I've heard mixed results about how law schools view grad school GPA's because of the whole USWR ranking system and because they don't know how to compare grad school performance, etc.

Do you guys think it would be beneficial if I got a LOR from the director of my masters program to write about my performance in our masters program (i was top of the class) and describe the difficulty of the program itself?

Would this help adcomms evaluate my graduate GPA and potentially support my application?

Thanks

Re: Grad School - LOR

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:30 pm

It should be someone who instructed you and can thus compare your classroom abilities to other students that they have had. A director with no direct supervision of you claiming that his program is difficult is probably not all that useful. Now if you took a course he taught it would probably be a great idea.

All that being said, it is still a LOR and while it can make a difference it won't do a thing to change your GPA. You are still a 3.2 and should apply accordingly (Which with your LSAT is probably everywhere from 4-14 + some regional scholarship targets - Berkeley and Duke)

collegebum1989

Re: Grad School - LOR

Postby collegebum1989 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:59 pm

Great, one of my LORs is already coming from a faculty member in the department who I've done research for, taken a class with and is directly familiar with my work. I guess I'll just explain to him how to describe the program instead of the director.

Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”