Best Northeast Schools for Big Law

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RainMan

Best Northeast Schools for Big Law

Postby RainMan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:01 am

I know the big law job market numbers are scant for the top 100 law schools excluding the T10 or T14, but I as I am deciding what law school to apply to I am considering a number of factors including tuition, honors requirements, and job prospects after graduation.

Honors Requirements: http://legalgeekery.com/2010/04/09/a-co ... uirements/

Big Law Rankings: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

Right now Miami University seems to be the best school that I can get into with my numbers (hopefully) and also provides the programs that I am looking for (criminal or environmental). I live in CT so anything in NY or CT will save me money on tuition if it is close enough to commute (i.e. St. Johns, CUNY, Quinnipiac, Pace). I really would take more loans out to go to a better school that will offer me more as a student, but I would like to make sure that it is 100% worth it considering they ask for an arm and a leg.

Any thoughts...

RainMan

Re: Best Northeast Schools for Big Law

Postby RainMan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:07 am

flem wrote:For the northeast, it goes something like:

Yale, Harvard and Stanford in some order
The rest of the T14 schools
Superregionals (Fordham, BU, BC)
If you can't get into any of those then retake the LSAT. Market is too saturated with good schools to go to a second tier school.

I agree but i'm not sure what my options are with my numbers and I do want to go to law school. What do you think the future looks like for 2015 law school grads in general? Better or worse?

RainMan

Postby RainMan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:10 am

RainMan wrote:

If you can't get into any of those then retake the LSAT. Market is too saturated with good schools to go to a second tier school.

I agree but i'm not sure what my options are with my numbers and I do want to go to law school. What do you think the future looks like for 2015 law school grads in general? Better or worse?

What are your thoughts on doing a part time program rather than a full time, in order to get into a higher ranked law school. I see a benefit of this as being able to hold a job while in law school and make some money to pay debt rent...etc.

RainMan

Postby RainMan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:14 am

flem wrote:
RainMan wrote:What are your thoughts on doing a part time program rather than a full time, in order to get into a higher ranked law school. I see a benefit of this as being able to hold a job while in law school and make some money to pay debt rent...etc.

Not a bad option but I don't know much about PT programs.

What are your numbers?

2.25/170 SPLIT B.A and M.A. (3.5)

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:15 am

Stay in CT, go to Yale.

RainMan

Postby RainMan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:19 am

RainMan wrote:
flem wrote:
RainMan wrote:What are your thoughts on doing a part time program rather than a full time, in order to get into a higher ranked law school. I see a benefit of this as being able to hold a job while in law school and make some money to pay debt rent...etc.

Not a bad option but I don't know much about PT programs.

What are your numbers?

2.25/170 SPLIT B.A and M.A. (3.5)

My B.A. is from a top 10 ranked program (not school) which is why my GPA is so low (The first 2 semesters were brutal...never failed a class though) My grades trend up and even into my year of graduate studies. I just don't think the 2.25 is reflective of my abilities and hope to convey this in an addendum and/or personal statement.

RainMan

Postby RainMan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:20 am

flem wrote:
RainMan wrote:2.25/170 SPLIT B.A and M.A. (3.5)

That is a huge split.

Work experience?

1 year of work experience at 2 separate volunteer organizations (hospice and habitat). I will also be completing an internship/thesis this coming fall which should be a good soft. But no, never made more than 20K a year...

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:34 am

This with an empasis on non-HYS T14s located in the northeast (+ UChicago) over other non HYS T14s not located in the northeast.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 am

flem wrote:
RainMan wrote:2.25/170 SPLIT B.A and M.A. (3.5)

That is a huge split.

Work experience?

Understatement of the year.

I think WUSTL is probably the most splitter friendly school though not the best to get you back to the East Coast and unsure about the 2.2 part of the equation.

Keep in mind that PT numbers are usually lower than the FT numbers at the same school but some of that has to do with WE that people have thus the reason they are looking at going PT. I know Fordham has a good PT program but not sure about how splitter friendly it is and you would probably be paying sticker which is a LOT of money.

Take a look at Rutgers Newark though. It is a state school so the debt level isn't insane. It places well in NJ. It does EXTREMELY well for its ranking especially with state and local govt positions (Read, criminal law) And here is the kicker for you. They have a box on the application that you choose to be judged on your numbers OR on your life experiences. I think you would stand a good shot at getting in and is a MUCH better value than Miami, especially without S FL ties.

Good luck

JC

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”