Applying ED several times consecutively?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
laura2011
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Applying ED several times consecutively?

Postby laura2011 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi everyone!

I am looking for some confirmation that I understood Early Decision rules right or else some correction of my understanding:

I read that some ED schools promise to give a reply within a few weeks. Say I apply ED at one of those schools in early September and get a rejection by late September, shouldn't that mean I can apply ED to another school in early October? In other words, as long as I am denied and do them consecutively, I can actually apply ED to several schools in one cycle?

Would be grateful for thoughts on this! Thanks!

User avatar
SnapSnapSnap
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 12:07 am

Re: Applying ED several times consecutively?

Postby SnapSnapSnap » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:49 pm

If you get rejected or WL'd, you're no longer bound to that school's ED. Good luck!

User avatar
laura2011
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: Applying ED several times consecutively?

Postby laura2011 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:51 pm

great, thanks. same to you!

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Applying ED several times consecutively?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:58 pm

SnapSnapSnap wrote:If you get rejected or WL'd, you're no longer bound to that school's ED. Good luck!


Not always. Read the ED contract before you try this. I know for a fact that Northwestern had worded theirs in such a way last year that this was not possible.

User avatar
laura2011
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: Applying ED several times consecutively?

Postby laura2011 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:34 am

ok, good to know. thank you!

User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Applying ED several times consecutively?

Postby Geoffrey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:11 am

Some schools will allow it, but LSAC won't recognize the validity of any ED contract after your first of the cycle (so you can get out of the agreement without a misconduct ruling) - probably why some schools don't allow it

User avatar
SaintsTheMetal
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:08 am

Re: Applying ED several times consecutively?

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Geoffrey wrote:Some schools will allow it, but LSAC won't recognize the validity of any ED contract after your first of the cycle (so you can get out of the agreement without a misconduct ruling) - probably why some schools don't allow it


what? source?

User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Applying ED several times consecutively?

Postby Geoffrey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:22 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:Some schools will allow it, but LSAC won't recognize the validity of any ED contract after your first of the cycle (so you can get out of the agreement without a misconduct ruling) - probably why some schools don't allow it


what? source?


Sorry, I was a little off. ED agreements that are made after the initial point of application violate the LSAC's Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practice. So if one ED app falls through, and you then switch an existing app to ED, the LSAC will not hold you to the agreement.

Other schools might think you're sleazy if they find out about it, and the school you're leaving might try to bully you, but they won't take it to the LSAC for misconduct because they know they aren't following the approved ED format.

User avatar
SaintsTheMetal
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:08 am

Re: Applying ED several times consecutively?

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Geoffrey wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:Some schools will allow it, but LSAC won't recognize the validity of any ED contract after your first of the cycle (so you can get out of the agreement without a misconduct ruling) - probably why some schools don't allow it


what? source?


Sorry, I was a little off. ED agreements that are made after the initial point of application violate the LSAC's Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practice. So if one ED app falls through, and you then switch an existing app to ED, the LSAC will not hold you to the agreement.

Other schools might think you're sleazy if they find out about it, and the school you're leaving might try to bully you, but they won't take it to the LSAC for misconduct because they know they aren't following the approved ED format.


Ah ok, thanks for clarifying.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], TrynaLaw and 4 guests