What should I do? (General Qs)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschool2014hopeful

What should I do? (General Qs)

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:36 pm

Problems:
The LSAT!!! No big surprise here aha!
I been studying the LSAT pretty consistently since the beginning of May for probably an average of 8hrs ~ a day/5 days a week (I really dont have much significant problems with this, although it does get boring sometimes), however the first 2 month was just really disorganized self-study, I was doing different stuff every week. It was not until recently I signed for velocity LSAT (online prep course) and I felt grounded in my study, and seeing possible progress.
My latest test scores are in the high 150s, I realize I HAVE ALOT to go before I can hit that 176+.

Question:
Since I have been so busy studying for the LSAT I havent really started prepping for any of the application (personal statements etc)
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to lighten my studying time and start working on my personal statements and such. However my issue is that, if I start studying less, I know I have alot to go... I feel I might not be prepared for the October test. If I am not writing the October, it is highly unlikely I will be writing the December (because it would conflict with my finals), then I will most likely do it in Feb or miss the cycle and take the June for next cycle. Another thing is that I dont know how much LSAT studying I can keep up during the school year if I am not taking the October test, so if I were to take the June I feel scared I might "forget" what I learned, is that possible?

So what should I do?
Still prepping full time for LSAT and worry about the application stuff later? or should I try start the application stuff now, by sacrificing some of my LSAT time?
Last edited by lawschool2014hopeful on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TomahawkChopper

Re: What should I do? (General Qs)

Postby TomahawkChopper » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:45 pm

You've been studying 40 hours a week for the LSAT and 2 months later are scoring in the 150s? Not to be a prick, but you're doing it wrong. I don't know how you're doing it wrong but you need to take a class or get a tutor.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:52 pm

I dont think you should cut down on studying. You will have plenty of time to write your PS while you wait for your score.

If you are not ready for Oct, do not take it.

I dont think you would regress much with time off. I didnt.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... EVCjUG1Mww
Last edited by Nova on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:56 pm

TomahawkChopper wrote:You've been studying 40 hours a week for the LSAT and 2 months later are scoring in the 150s? Not to be a prick, but you're doing it wrong. I don't know how you're doing it wrong but you need to take a class or get a tutor.

I was doing it wrong, thats why I signed up for Velocity.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Nova wrote:I dont think you should cut down on studying. You will have plenty of time to write your PS while you wait for your score.

If you are not ready for Oct, do not take it.

I dont think you would regress much with time off. I didnt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMPIZw3POUU

I was thinking that too, I have 3 weeks waiting for that LSAT score, and I could use that time to really refine my app.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:01 pm

8 hours a day is way too much - even if you think it is, your brain isn't absorbing information that entire time. You should be closer to 4 hours/day, as any more than that is extremely inefficient.

As far as working on your PS/etc..., I wouldn't spend too much time on it. Get your LoRs lined up (because those take awhile) and your transcript sent to LSAC so they can work their magic on it (which takes a bit of time). Brainstorm some ideas and maybe throw a draft together, but focus on the LSAT. Just don't make it your entire life.

The reason I recommend holding off on the PS is because you'll have a month to work on it once you take the LSAT but before scores are released. Uploading the PS to your application takes seconds and is done online. There's no reason to kill yourself on that as well as the LSAT when it's probably more efficient to work on it after you've taken the LSAT. And if you end up not taking October because your score isn't where you want it to be, then you'll have even more time to work on the PS.

As far as postponing until next June, I wouldn't worry about 'forgetting' the information. You'll have to continually look at it to keep it fresh, but it won't start to leak out like a sieve if you don't spend 20 hrs/week studying for it. A few hours/week when you're not fully prepping is more than enough to keep you fresh.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:01 pm

bp shinners wrote:8 hours a day is way too much - even if you think it is, your brain isn't absorbing information that entire time. You should be closer to 4 hours/day, as any more than that is extremely inefficient.

As far as working on your PS/etc..., I wouldn't spend too much time on it. Get your LoRs lined up (because those take awhile) and your transcript sent to LSAC so they can work their magic on it (which takes a bit of time). Brainstorm some ideas and maybe throw a draft together, but focus on the LSAT. Just don't make it your entire life.

The reason I recommend holding off on the PS is because you'll have a month to work on it once you take the LSAT but before scores are released. Uploading the PS to your application takes seconds and is done online. There's no reason to kill yourself on that as well as the LSAT when it's probably more efficient to work on it after you've taken the LSAT. And if you end up not taking October because your score isn't where you want it to be, then you'll have even more time to work on the PS.

As far as postponing until next June, I wouldn't worry about 'forgetting' the information. You'll have to continually look at it to keep it fresh, but it won't start to leak out like a sieve if you don't spend 20 hrs/week studying for it. A few hours/week when you're not fully prepping is more than enough to keep you fresh.

Thanks, I think you are right about the limit thing. I use to to do about 10hrs, then I realize I simply wont "get" the thing I just got a minute ago after 8hrs or so. That is why I have reduced it to 8, I have thought about maybe doing 6hrs, 4hrs is bit too slow for me aha.

I have already sent in my transcript I am planning to ask for my LOR in first day of August, giving them the profs 2 months to write it. I think that is enough time?

And thanks for relieving my worry about "forgetting", do you think just doing a prep test a week if I am not studying full time is enough to keep my brain refreshed on the material?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:25 pm

jimmierock wrote:I have already sent in my transcript I am planning to ask for my LOR in first day of August, giving them the profs 2 months to write it. I think that is enough time?

And thanks for relieving my worry about "forgetting", do you think just doing a prep test a week if I am not studying full time is enough to keep my brain refreshed on the material?

1) It should be, but the earlier you ask, the better off you are. I wouldn't worry too much if you ask in August.

2) As long as you also review it, with a focus on keeping yourself sharp on the methods.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”