Re-applicants 2012-2013

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
BuckeyeGirl
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby BuckeyeGirl » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:31 pm

As many of us begin preparing for the fall cycle in earnest, I thought I would check in with any other TLS-ers going through the special Hell that is reapplying. Without sounding too much like a super-special-snowflake, I do think there is an extra layer of stress, anxiety, and questions for re-applicants so I'm hoping this is a place for us to support each other through our 2nd time through.

Would love to hear what other stories, specific concerns, and steps that other re-applicants are taking. Personally, I'm re-taking the LSAT in October, figuring out exactly what admission materials I have that are can be re-worked/re-used (Why X, addendum for speeding ticket, etc) and what needs to be started from scratch (personal statement, supplemental essays, LORs), and combating a fair degree of fatigue.

Looking forward to hearing from others, and good luck!

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby AlanShore » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Hey, just saw this thread. I'm a reapplicant. I applied in the 09-10 cycle while I was a senior in school. I was WL at my top choices. I didnt retake the LSAT though my gpa improved very slightly. I took a very good job upon graduation where I have been working the last couple of years.

I'm sending my old LORs +1 new one from my manager, and completely rewriting my PS to reflect the things I've learned at my job and my motivation to go to law school once again. It's tough writing that PS though! I don't want to sound boring getting into the details of my job but specific projects have motivated me to reapply and feel much more confident and certain that I want to go to LS.

I'm hoping an improved PS, work experience will turn a couple of those WL into acceptances... and anecdotally, there will be fewer applicants for our cycle so maybe that will help too! :)

User avatar
maggielizer
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby maggielizer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:28 pm

Hey, fellow re-applicants! Glad to see some support for our kind here. :)

I graduated in Spring 2011 and have been working a solid creative-department job at an advertising agency. I took the December LSAT last year and so applied late in the cycle (mid-January) with a 166, 3.90. Decided that 1) because I'd applied late, I'd underperformed my stats and potentially lost out on valuable scholarships and 2) if I were to study my butt off for the LSAT and retake, I could be looking at some serious money from a T-14. So here I am!

Like Buckeye Girl, I'm taking the October LSAT. I've registered for a PowerScore prep course that I hope helps. In the meantime I'm studying from old tests and a logic games workbook (my worst section on last year's test).

Keeping my LORs and (being honest with myself) will at most do some minor revisions to my PS.

Alan Shore, are there really predicted to be fewer applicants for our cycle? That could be tremendously helpful!

Finally, are either of you (or anybody else who cares to chime in) reapplying to the same schools as last year? If so, are you sending a completely different PS? And do you expect that reapplying will hurt your chances at that school? I was accepted off the waitlist at Northwestern last year but had to turn down the offer because they didn't offer any financial aid. Would they look unfavorably on me reapplying this cycle? Thanks for the help!

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby AlanShore » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:01 pm

maggielizer wrote:Hey, fellow re-applicants! Glad to see some support for our kind here. :)

I graduated in Spring 2011 and have been working a solid creative-department job at an advertising agency. I took the December LSAT last year and so applied late in the cycle (mid-January) with a 166, 3.90. Decided that 1) because I'd applied late, I'd underperformed my stats and potentially lost out on valuable scholarships and 2) if I were to study my butt off for the LSAT and retake, I could be looking at some serious money from a T-14. So here I am!

Like Buckeye Girl, I'm taking the October LSAT. I've registered for a PowerScore prep course that I hope helps. In the meantime I'm studying from old tests and a logic games workbook (my worst section on last year's test).

Keeping my LORs and (being honest with myself) will at most do some minor revisions to my PS.

Alan Shore, are there really predicted to be fewer applicants for our cycle? That could be tremendously helpful!

Finally, are either of you (or anybody else who cares to chime in) reapplying to the same schools as last year? If so, are you sending a completely different PS? And do you expect that reapplying will hurt your chances at that school? I was accepted off the waitlist at Northwestern last year but had to turn down the offer because they didn't offer any financial aid. Would they look unfavorably on me reapplying this cycle? Thanks for the help!

The # of lsat takers has dropped so there is a possibility for fewer applicants. I have a friend whose parent is a dean/vice dean/adcom/assistant dean (for anonymity sake..) of a t14 who said he/she expects this next cycle to be the weakest cycle in awhile....

I'm sending a completely different PS to all my schools. I am reapplying to 4-5 of them and half of those are among my highest choices. From what I've read, I dont believe reapplying is negative at all-- but if you literally dont change one thing and you were WL or rejected, it could be.

As for northwestern, thats a good reason-- id maybe write a short addendum explaining this and expressing your intense interest in attending and sounds like you'd be fine! (esp with added WE!)

User avatar
BuckeyeGirl
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby BuckeyeGirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:33 pm

maggielizer wrote:
Finally, are either of you (or anybody else who cares to chime in) reapplying to the same schools as last year? If so, are you sending a completely different PS? And do you expect that reapplying will hurt your chances at that school? I was accepted off the waitlist at Northwestern last year but had to turn down the offer because they didn't offer any financial aid. Would they look unfavorably on me reapplying this cycle? Thanks for the help!


I am applying to almost exactly the same schools and then quite a few additions. I am also sending a completely different PS, reflecting my time working as a paralegal for the last year and a half (I think, still tooling around with different topics). I don't expect this to hurt my chances with the schools I'm applying to, especially if I can pull a higher LSAT, which frankly, I expect. Additionally, I'll have 2 more years of work experience which certainly can't do anything besides help.

For you specifically....and this is just a guess, I imagine if you were courteous and professional, Northwestern shouldn't hold your prudent financial decision against you. Johann seems pretty damn pragmatic, so additionally, I imagine that if you addressed your reasoning in your Why NU you would be fine. But don't bet the mortgage on it, I'm just speculating!



Is anyone thinking about addressing their previous cycle in anyway through their application? If so, how?

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby AlanShore » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 pm

I Pmed you Buckeye but to add to this thread, I'm debating on whether I should mention I'm a reapplicant on my PS.. I thought about starting it out talking about how I was in a similar (but not) situation three years ago deciding whether i should go to LS or take the job I am currently working. Since my PS is about how my job has led me realize that I will find more of the type of work I find engaging and interesting in law and therefore, has made me much more confident (and frankly calmer) about going to LS, it might be nice to give them that background..

On the other hand, about half the schools I'm applying to I did not apply to last cycle so? what do you guys think?

Dreas
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby Dreas » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:34 pm

.

User avatar
maggielizer
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby maggielizer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:47 am

BuckeyeGirl wrote:
I am applying to almost exactly the same schools and then quite a few additions. I am also sending a completely different PS, reflecting my time working as a paralegal for the last year and a half (I think, still tooling around with different topics). I don't expect this to hurt my chances with the schools I'm applying to, especially if I can pull a higher LSAT, which frankly, I expect. Additionally, I'll have 2 more years of work experience which certainly can't do anything besides help.

For you specifically....and this is just a guess, I imagine if you were courteous and professional, Northwestern shouldn't hold your prudent financial decision against you. Johann seems pretty damn pragmatic, so additionally, I imagine that if you addressed your reasoning in your Why NU you would be fine. But don't bet the mortgage on it, I'm just speculating!

Is anyone thinking about addressing their previous cycle in anyway through their application? If so, how?


Thanks, that's what I'm hoping as well. I actually think I may have a better chance at NU because I'll be able to conduct an interview (applied too late last cycle to do so).

Regarding your question, I'll probably do the same as Alan -- address the previous cycle for the schools to which I'm reapplying, but not mentioning it for the schools where I'll be applying for the first time. And update my resume and PS to reflect my current WE.

User avatar
BuckeyeGirl
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby BuckeyeGirl » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:58 am

Interview is huge. I'm sure you'll be fine. I think the "disclose when it will be obvious" is probably the best strategy, I'm going to have to work out exactly how to manage that!

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby AlanShore » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:19 am

yeah! i guess my intro and parts of my essay and conclusion will be a bit different depending on whether or not i am a reapplicant. My goal is to get a first draft done by next week-- anyone want to do a swap?

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby AlanShore » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:32 am

Is anyone thinking of writing any Why Xs for schools that dont typically ask for them? I'm thinking of doing this for 2 of my schools that I really want to attend. Is it annoying for adcoms to read an extra essay?

User avatar
RSterling
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby RSterling » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:02 am

FWIW: I'm reapplying from the 10-11 cycle, and I'm mostly keeping my old PS. I've tweaked it and added about a paragraph's worth of information discussing what I've been doing since graduating from college. I don't think its necessary to rewrite a whole new PS (though there's nothing wrong with doing so), but I do think it's important to revise and strengthen your old PS a bit. Sending the exact same one (especially if you send the same LORs) can come off as lazy.

darkgrayclouds
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:03 am

Re: Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby darkgrayclouds » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:33 am

This is a naive question, so forgive me, but if we are planning to reuse a LOR, is it necessary to have the person who wrote that letter resend the letter? Or can we just skip that step since the letter is already on file at LSAC?

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby AlanShore » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:35 pm

darkgrayclouds wrote:This is a naive question, so forgive me, but if we are planning to reuse a LOR, is it necessary to have the person who wrote that letter resend the letter? Or can we just skip that step since the letter is already on file at LSAC?

You can just skip it! It's filed and ready when you apply.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:07 pm

In for the ride! I can't get enough of admissions! :lol:

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Re-applicants 2012-2013

Postby AlanShore » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:28 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:In for the ride! I can't get enough of admissions! :lol:

haha yeah. It was so fun last time we had to do it again!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ashterlily, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 8 guests