Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BostonNJ
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 am

Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby BostonNJ » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:10 am

Thank goodness our elected officials have seen the light of the Rutgers Act of 1956! Rutgers will not be losing control over its Camden Campus or the Law School. The law school will remain Rutgers, furthermore we have all been hearing chatter that Rutgers Camden will soon be merging with Rutgers Newark to establish "Rutgers Law." Rutgers will still have two campuses, one in North Jersey and the other in South, however there will only be one admissions office and a shared financial aid office. Professors will probably be interchanged between the Law schools, and the Library's will officially be combined.

This will have a huge impact on the US News ranking, as the combined forces of the two schools will bring up a lot of its stats!

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:11 am

Jesus, you've really been drinking the Kool-Aid.

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby goldeneye » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:21 am

If only areyouinsane was here....

BostonNJ
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby BostonNJ » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:52 am

Your track record on your dillegence has been spotty at best. There is no Kool-Aid to drink! Please stop trolling this site, it is not appreciated nor is it helpful for students who are trying to get more information about the schools. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation!

InGoodFaith wrote:Jesus, you've really been drinking the Kool-Aid.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby kwais » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:58 am

BostonNJ wrote:Your track record on your dillegence has been spotty at best. There is no Kool-Aid to drink! Please stop trolling this site, it is not appreciated nor is it helpful for students who are trying to get more information about the schools. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation!

InGoodFaith wrote:Jesus, you've really been drinking the Kool-Aid.


Does Rutgers pay you per exclamation mark!

BostonNJ
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby BostonNJ » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:59 am

kwais wrote:
BostonNJ wrote:Your track record on your dillegence has been spotty at best. There is no Kool-Aid to drink! Please stop trolling this site, it is not appreciated nor is it helpful for students who are trying to get more information about the schools. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation!

InGoodFaith wrote:Jesus, you've really been drinking the Kool-Aid.


Does Rutgers pay you per exclamation mark!


hardy har har

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby kwais » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:01 am

BostonNJ wrote:
kwais wrote:
BostonNJ wrote:Your track record on your dillegence has been spotty at best. There is no Kool-Aid to drink! Please stop trolling this site, it is not appreciated nor is it helpful for students who are trying to get more information about the schools. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation!

InGoodFaith wrote:Jesus, you've really been drinking the Kool-Aid.


Does Rutgers pay you per exclamation mark!


hardy har har


but for real, how is making unsubstantiated claims about the US News rankings "helpful" "information" for students?

BostonNJ
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby BostonNJ » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:18 am

I understand your point, and trust me I realize that US News rankings are far from perfect, however Rutgers Camden has been dragged through the mud because of situations that are occurring around the school. In 2012, news of merger, 2011 the firing of Camden Police, and 2010 arson that has plagued the city, non of which is the school's fault. Accordingly, this effects the perception of the school, a metric that is used by US News. Cognizant of all this, students do tend to put a lot of weight on the US News rankings, and so I think it is important to explain the likely change in the ranking "when and if" the school merges with its sister school in Newark. As I said earlier it is very likely to happen, and we have been hearing these conversations a lot on campus.

This is not an unsubstantiated claim: metrics used by US News include: size of the library (which will drastically increase), funding of legal resources (also will drastically increase), school perception (combining all the research and academic work will increase the combined schools perception), I can go on and on. This is far from unsubstantiated. I have been reading and seeing the horror on potential students and current students when this news of merger came out. The school has been hurt bad, and I happen to feel a personal responsibility to do my part by getting positive and true information out there to so students don't choose expensive out of state options for no good reason. (Many have decided to spend double at Villanova and Widener because of this terrible news).

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby kwais » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:30 am

BostonNJ wrote:I understand your point, and trust me I realize that US News rankings are far from perfect, however Rutgers Camden has been dragged through the mud because of situations that are occurring around the school. In 2012, news of merger, 2011 the firing of Camden Police, and 2010 arson that has plagued the city, non of which is the school's fault. Accordingly, this effects the perception of the school, a metric that is used by US News. Cognizant of all this, students do tend to put a lot of weight on the US News rankings, and so I think it is important to explain the likely change in the ranking "when and if" the school merges with its sister school in Newark. As I said earlier it is very likely to happen, and we have been hearing these conversations a lot on campus.

This is not an unsubstantiated claim: metrics used by US News include: size of the library (which will drastically increase), funding of legal resources (also will drastically increase), school perception (combining all the research and academic work will increase the combined schools perception), I can go on and on. This is far from unsubstantiated. I have been reading and seeing the horror on potential students and current students when this news of merger came out. The school has been hurt bad, and I happen to feel a personal responsibility to do my part by getting positive and true information out there to so students don't choose expensive out of state options for no good reason. (Many have decided to spend double at Villanova and Widener because of this terrible news).


eh, school perception makes up the lion's share of what you cited from USNews. You really think that legal professionals are gonna think 'wow, now Rutgers puts out twice the LR articles each year!" And correct me if I'm wrong, but spending per student will rise in both the numerator AND the denominator. So where is the increase? Reduced overhead?
Listen, it's good news that Rutgers is not merging with Rowan and hopefully the school's rep rebounds for the sake of its students, especially because it is a school that is reasonable affordable. But, at the moment you sense of "personal responsibility" seems to be taking over and clouding a more realistic view of the school's future.

BostonNJ
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby BostonNJ » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:55 am

Point taken, and yes as one of the deans once explained, a merger between the two schools would reduce admin, overhead, and other costs that are unnecessarily duplicated by both schools (i.e. marketing, web design, etc etc etc) because they are operating as separate law schools. The merger between the two makes sense because of the reduction in these duplicated efforts and because, acting as one, the school can allocate funding more strategically. Its no secret that states such as NJ have been reducing funding to higher education, merging the two schools is almost necessary at this point (at least the way it was explained to me).

Also I respectfully disagree with your comment that the schools future isn't as rosy as I may perceive. There is truly a new energy in Camden and on Campus after this whole merger fiasco. People who have never spoken and who have been silo-ed have now been bonded. Departments are talking to one another, the folks there are so determined to get things back on the upswing, you can just feel it! There truly is a new energy there, we all respect our school so much more, and I for one will never take for granted that I am a student at Rutgers.

PS you are right I found myself using lots of exclamation points, I deleted some so you wouldn't continue to think I was making a living off of them. ;-)
kwais wrote:
BostonNJ wrote:I understand your point, and trust me I realize that US News rankings are far from perfect, however Rutgers Camden has been dragged through the mud because of situations that are occurring around the school. In 2012, news of merger, 2011 the firing of Camden Police, and 2010 arson that has plagued the city, non of which is the school's fault. Accordingly, this effects the perception of the school, a metric that is used by US News. Cognizant of all this, students do tend to put a lot of weight on the US News rankings, and so I think it is important to explain the likely change in the ranking "when and if" the school merges with its sister school in Newark. As I said earlier it is very likely to happen, and we have been hearing these conversations a lot on campus.

This is not an unsubstantiated claim: metrics used by US News include: size of the library (which will drastically increase), funding of legal resources (also will drastically increase), school perception (combining all the research and academic work will increase the combined schools perception), I can go on and on. This is far from unsubstantiated. I have been reading and seeing the horror on potential students and current students when this news of merger came out. The school has been hurt bad, and I happen to feel a personal responsibility to do my part by getting positive and true information out there to so students don't choose expensive out of state options for no good reason. (Many have decided to spend double at Villanova and Widener because of this terrible news).


eh, school perception makes up the lion's share of what you cited from USNews. You really think that legal professionals are gonna think 'wow, now Rutgers puts out twice the LR articles each year!" And correct me if I'm wrong, but spending per student will rise in both the numerator AND the denominator. So where is the increase? Reduced overhead?
Listen, it's good news that Rutgers is not merging with Rowan and hopefully the school's rep rebounds for the sake of its students, especially because it is a school that is reasonable affordable. But, at the moment you sense of "personal responsibility" seems to be taking over and clouding a more realistic view of the school's future.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby kwais » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:57 am

Glad to hear it. Hope you are right. Good luck

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:03 am

.
Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:21 am

.
Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BostonNJ
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby BostonNJ » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:37 pm

First off, I never said "officially" merging. The merging of Newark and Camden however has been being talked about a lot, especially with the governor trying to save money, it makes sense, hence why there has been so much chatter about this topic.

Second, how am I making you look bad?

Third, I am not trolling for admissions at all, I have to deal with the fact that people still think a Rowan merger is still happening at clerkship interviews, it behooves me to set the record straight.

Last, why are you so anti positive news for Rutgers Camden? What is your objective? Why are you attacking this particular school, why not Widener or Villi, they charge double what Rutgers charges and are no better? I am so confused about people like you who try to disparage a very affordable option for people who want to attend a quality law school.


InGoodFaith wrote:Why can't you just accept that Rutgers Camden is and always will be a mediocre state school with a decent reputation in South Jersey and absolutely no portability outside of (at most) the tri state region?

YOU are the one who is trolling. You sound like a shill for the admissions office with the amount of utter bullshit you've been posting recently. Just stop. You're making us all look bad.

And your claim that Rutgers Camden and Newark are "officially" combining is still totally unsubstantiated.

BostonNJ
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby BostonNJ » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:39 pm

flem wrote:Image


errr

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Great news OP. I guess this means no Princeton Law School.

abc12345675
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby abc12345675 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:45 pm

It doesn't matter what happens to the rankings. Even if it justs 25 spots it still is a regional school. So who cares?

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:00 pm

.
Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Birdnals
Posts: 4576
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby Birdnals » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:02 pm

At least you will have small class sizes

BostonNJ
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby BostonNJ » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
BostonNJ wrote:First off, I never said "officially" merging. The merging of Newark and Camden however has been being talked about a lot, especially with the governor trying to save money, it makes sense, hence why there has been so much chatter about this topic.

Second, how am I making you look bad?

Third, I am not trolling for admissions at all, I have to deal with the fact that people still think a Rowan merger is still happening at clerkship interviews, it behooves me to set the record straight.

Last, why are you so anti positive news for Rutgers Camden? What is your objective? Why are you attacking this particular school, why not Widener or Villi, they charge double what Rutgers charges and are no better? I am so confused about people like you who try to disparage a very affordable option for people who want to attend a quality law school.



1) Sorry, I took the phrase "officially be combined" in your OP to mean "officially be combined"

2) See:
flem wrote:IGF will be attending RU-C in the fall

3) I'm unconvinced that you don't work for admissions or the administration in some capacity

Last) Just an incoming student with a lot of anxiety due to the legions of bad press recently (not to mention the terribad job prospects)


Oh, I totally agree with you that prospects are terrible for the legal field today, but that is ubiquitous! My problem is the singling out of Rutgers Camden. Trust me, we are all well aware of the crisis in legal employment, but again that is most schools outside the top 14! I even hear some of the top 14 schools are struggling as well. YOU HAVE NO ARGUMENT FROM ME THERE! That is were I think we both completely agree. Rutgers however as a poor school, I do not agree with that at all!

TMC116
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby TMC116 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:05 pm

This sounds like an admissions pitch. I'm convinced you work for rutgers.

The fact that your TLS box celebrates the "top notch" quality and "best value" of rutgers only reinforces that feeling.

User avatar
westinghouse60
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby westinghouse60 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:24 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Why can't you just accept that Rutgers Camden is and always will be a mediocre state school with a decent reputation in South Jersey and absolutely no portability outside of (at most) the tri state region?

YOU are the one who is trolling. You sound like a shill for the admissions office with the amount of utter bullshit you've been posting recently. Just stop. You're making us all look bad.

And your claim that Rutgers Camden and Newark are "officially" combining is still totally unsubstantiated.


+1. I really have no idea why the whole Rutgers thing has gotten as much attention as it has on TLS

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:27 pm

I want you all, especially xxx, to know that I resent you for selfishly, childishly, and classly further sinking the Rutgers' brand name into the depths of Ramapo Hell.

There is a reason why Rutgers-Camden was threatened with a change of name, they are under preforming. I would have paid Rowan to take the entire campus off our hands, the inclusion of RWJ was just icing on the cake.

As for the argument that Camden is the only hopes of a quality education in South Jersey: Is NB really that hard to get into? Is it that hard to find decent housing in Highland Park; and is SIX MINUTES too long to get to/from a train station or the biggest road in NJ? I wish I could afford to live next to Columbia, but I don't publicly weep at the fact that they won't reinstate our sister college status and let me live in Middlesex County. Either uproot yourself and your family, or man up and commute a few hours a day like most NJians.

As for the fact that theres no NB law program, lets be honest, as much as this pains me to admit, all RU law schools suck, if this was not even remotely true, I would be your classmate.

Face it, you remain on the dodgeball team despite your weight, solely cause the gym teacher wanted you to stop crying.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:29 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Why can't you just accept that Rutgers Camden is and always will be a mediocre state school with a decent reputation in South Jersey and absolutely no portability outside of (at most) the tri state region?

YOU are the one who is trolling. You sound like a shill for the admissions office with the amount of utter bullshit you've been posting recently. Just stop. You're making us all look bad.

And your claim that Rutgers Camden and Newark are "officially" combining is still totally unsubstantiated.


+1. I really have no idea why the whole Rutgers thing has gotten as much attention as it has on TLS


The media, and by extension everyone else, loves to talk about NJ.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law will not be merging with Rowan

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:31 pm

SemperLegal wrote:I want you all, especially xxx, to know that I resent you for selfishly, childishly, and classly further sinking the Rutgers' brand name into the depths of Ramapo Hell.

There is a reason why Rutgers-Camden was threatened with a change of name, they are under preforming. I would have paid Rowan to take the entire campus off our hands, the inclusion of RWJ was just icing on the cake.

As for the argument that Camden is the only hopes of a quality education in South Jersey: Is NB really that hard to get into? Is it that hard to find decent housing in Highland Park; and is SIX MINUTES too long to get to/from a train station or the biggest road in NJ? I wish I could afford to live next to Columbia, but I don't publicly weep at the fact that they won't reinstate our sister college status and let me live in Middlesex County. Either uproot yourself and your family, or man up and commute a few hours a day like most NJians.

As for the fact that theres no NB law program, lets be honest, as much as this pains me to admit, all RU law schools suck, if this was not even remotely true, I would be your classmate.

Face it, you remain on the dodgeball team despite your weight, solely cause the gym teacher wanted you to stop crying.


And now we're taking it to the other extreme. This is a fun thread. I'll let you two duke it out.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ws120 and 3 guests