Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlaskaJD
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby AlaskaJD » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:38 am

There have been threads on this, probably, but remember our Internet is slow here. :lol: I moved to rural Alaska after college and thought about moving back to the Lower 48 because it would make the law school process so much easier, but then decided to stay put, partly because I love it here, and partly because I thought it would help my odds. Does it matter much if you're from an underrepresented state?

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby goldeneye » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:51 am

Maybe if you had grown up there, thereby having a unique situation. I doubt it helps much. Gpa/lsat matter

User avatar
Systematic1
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby Systematic1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:56 am

Did you take the LSAT in an igloo?

AlaskaJD
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby AlaskaJD » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:11 am

No, but you do have to fly or take a ferry to get to the testing center, and stay overnight in a motel. In February, there was only one LSAT test taker at the center.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby 2014 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:39 am

It will only matter if there happens to be a school that has students from the other 49 states and sees you as a marketing opportunity. Short of that, probably not. Interesting PS perhaps?

User avatar
Colonel Angus
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby Colonel Angus » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:44 am

2014 wrote:It will only matter if there happens to be a school that has students from the other 49 states and sees you as a marketing opportunity. Short of that, probably not. Interesting PS perhaps?

This sounds like something they would put in one of those ttt school emails. With students from all fifty states... But yeah its a numbers game. Have you worked any with natives or eskimos? My company is alaskan native owned and I work with many people from alaska, could be a very interesting ps there somewhere.

User avatar
Systematic1
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby Systematic1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:08 am

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Map Cat
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:20 am

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby Map Cat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Not sure about admissions, but I'm pretty sure you can get in-state tuition at some schools if you live in Alaska, since there's not a LS there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby sunynp » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:34 pm

AlaskaJD wrote:There have been threads on this, probably, but remember our Internet is slow here. :lol: I moved to rural Alaska after college and thought about moving back to the Lower 48 because it would make the law school process so much easier, but then decided to stay put, partly because I love it here, and partly because I thought it would help my odds. Does it matter much if you're from an underrepresented state?

I'm curious. Why do you think it will help your chances? As Alaska doesn't have a law school there may be some school that accepts Alaska students. I don't think it will help you other than a ps which will be different than other people's.

It might be difficult to get solid advice because you are so isolated, keep posting here even if your net is slow. You are probably going to need more support than people who have other places to go for advice.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby sunynp » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:37 pm

AlaskaJD wrote:No, but you do have to fly or take a ferry to get to the testing center, and stay overnight in a motel. In February, there was only one LSAT test taker at the center.


Given the way people complain about testing centers and the other test takers, you might have a good thing going there on your own. No one crying or coughing or arguing with the proctor.

User avatar
sawwaverunner
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:28 am

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby sawwaverunner » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:37 pm

I believe there are some schools that will provide Alaskan residents with in-state tuition because Alaska does not have a state law school..... I think.

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby PolySuyGuy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Systematic1 wrote:--ImageRemoved--




Good times LSAT taking in an ingloo!

Remember no hats or headgear.

User avatar
Kring345
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby Kring345 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Systematic1 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Thank you for this lol

AlaskaJD
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby AlaskaJD » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks, guys, and the igloo photo was funny. I've just heard it's better to be from an underrepresented state like Alaska than some state with hundreds of applicants, like California. Definitely not something that would make up for a horrible LSAT, but something that might tip the scales. And, yes, I probably will have more questions, because it's really hard to get back down south. I'm thinking of going to one of those LSAC forums, probably in New York, but don't know if it's worth my time. I also am considering applying ED to NU if they're still doing the full ride guarantee, and that would require an in-person interview that would be extra-fun from AK.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:35 pm

Have you taken the LSAT yet ?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby Samara » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:37 pm

AlaskaJD wrote:Thanks, guys, and the igloo photo was funny. I've just heard it's better to be from an underrepresented state like Alaska than some state with hundreds of applicants, like California. Definitely not something that would make up for a horrible LSAT, but something that might tip the scales. And, yes, I probably will have more questions, because it's really hard to get back down south. I'm thinking of going to one of those LSAC forums, probably in New York, but don't know if it's worth my time. I also am considering applying ED to NU if they're still doing the full ride guarantee, and that would require an in-person interview that would be extra-fun from AK.

The LSAC forums are NOT worth it. They will blow a bunch of smoke up your ass. You can get real answers to all your questions here without having to fly anywhere.

+1 to the LSAT question. You need WE and at least 3.55/174 to get the NU ED full-ride, IIRC.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby dingbat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:38 pm

AlaskaJD wrote: I'm thinking of going to one of those LSAC forums, probably in New York, but don't know if it's worth my time.

It's not.

AlaskaJD
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby AlaskaJD » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:48 pm

How valuable are face to face interaction/college visits? Because aside from that NU interview, I won't be taking any visits before I apply.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby Samara » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:51 pm

AlaskaJD wrote:How valuable are face to face interaction/college visits? Because aside from that NU interview, I won't be taking any visits before I apply.

Very little beyond how it might help you choose between peer schools. Although, I would advise against it, unless you can visit several/all of your target schools. It is easy to get irrational about a school after a visit, especially one that is an official event, like ASWs. Better to stay objective and rational about choosing a law school, IMO. Too much at stake.

AlaskaJD
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby AlaskaJD » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:58 pm

Hmmmm. Don't know if my LSAT post disappeared or not. Anyway, I haven't taken the LSAT yet. I understand this makes pretty much all of my questions irrelevant at this point. Signed up to take it in October.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:29 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
Systematic1 wrote:--ImageRemoved--




Good times LSAT taking in an ingloo!

Remember no hats or headgear.


Or bears.

ScottPilgrim
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Do they care that I live in an Alaskan village?

Postby ScottPilgrim » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:23 pm

AlaskaJD wrote:I'm thinking of going to one of those LSAC forums, probably in New York, but don't know if it's worth my time.


Never heard of someone who made it based on an interview, but I'm sure those exist. I think that is usually for those around the line. I would certainly talk up the Alaska part, because it will bump up their numbers (most schools likely covering an extra 2% of the states if they accept you). It won't bump you up from Cooley to Yale, but may get you a spot you wouldn't get otherwise.

My school, and I'm assuming this means most (at least in the top 20) set aside some spots for those with great back stories to help "diversify" their class, at least to the point it didn't change their USNEWS numbers. They would like non-trad applicants. Not sure if this particular applicant made it, but one student who worked with admissions made a hard push for a person who was arrested at a civil rights-type demonstration, despite having low numbers. The school also pulled in some international students. Alaska sounds pretty close to that.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Commoncourtesy, cooldog, jtawil and 6 guests