What is the point of URM status?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abc12345675

Re: What is the point of URM status?

Postby abc12345675 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:33 pm

superbloom wrote:Speaking as a lower-middle class white person, yes URM boosts suck.

But do you know what sucks more? The fact that we need things like URM boosts and affirmative action. We live in a society gamed against blacks and hispanics. Lets cry foul at just about the only advantage given to these groups. I don't want to turn this post into a rant where I throw statistics at you, but any moral arguement against AA can't even be justified.

Looks like we've already made it to my number 4!!! Really jumped ahead of schedule

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:35 pm

In before the lock.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:37 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
superbloom wrote:Speaking as a lower-middle class white person, yes URM boosts suck.

But do you know what sucks more? The fact that we need things like URM boosts and affirmative action. We live in a society gamed against blacks and hispanics. Lets cry foul at just about the only advantage given to these groups. I don't want to turn this post into a rant where I throw statistics at you, but any moral arguement against AA can't even be justified.

Looks like we've already made it to my number 4!!! Really jumped ahead of schedule

So it's "not traditional" for white people to be disappointed that it ain't so great to be a minority in our society? White people suck more than I thought.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:39 pm

superbloom wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:

So it's "not traditional" for white people to be disappointed that it ain't so great to be a minority in our society? White people suck more than I thought.

Lighten up

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:42 pm

So true; I completely agree with you. You can't understand what racism feels like unless you're a URM. Thats just the simple truth. I hate that it has to be this way too, and in a perfect world, it should be merit based, but there is no other way to equal the playing field aside from a slight boost.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:42 pm

flem wrote:
superbloom wrote:So it's "not traditional" for white people to be disappointed that it ain't so great to be a minority in our society? White people suck more than I thought.

IT AIN'T EASY BEIN' WHITE

IT AIN'T EASY BEIN' BROWN

ALL THIS PRESSURE TO BE BRIGHT

I GOT KIDS ALL OVER TOWN

I DONT WANT NO PART OF YOUR COUNTRY CLUB YA FREAK BITCH!

ConfidenceMan2

Postby ConfidenceMan2 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:43 pm

flem wrote:
superbloom wrote:So it's "not traditional" for white people to be disappointed that it ain't so great to be a minority in our society? White people suck more than I thought.

IT AIN'T EASY BEIN' WHITE

IT AIN'T EASY BEIN' BROWN

ALL THIS PRESSURE TO BE BRIGHT

I GOT KIDS ALL OVER TOWN

I missed the set up entirely... Glad that you didn't.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:47 pm

No.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”