Desperate emails from schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dowu

Re: Desperate emails from schools

Postby dowu » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:43 pm

I got one from Baylor as well.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:43 pm

Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:54 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
Wily wrote:
Pate wrote:I imagine that the administrators are demanding that their deans get on their keyboards and . . . sell, sell, sell.

Mitch and Murray from downtown sent Alec Baldwin to sort them out, I bet.

"A. B. A.
A. Always
B. Be
A. Admitting!"
Underrated post.

Indeed. 166.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:47 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
VasaVasori wrote:Did anyone else just get the email from Alabama offering 20 free iTunes downloads if you apply?

Are you kidding? I WANT 20 free downloads and would apply just for that!

(But then I might get accepted and my redneck roots would start to show and I might start thinking about going there instead of Fordham then I would have to deal with my wife divorcing me and then I would have to find some rich coed freshman that wants a father figure then I would have to deal with her parents being younger than I am then I would end up shot and cut up for gator bait in some backwoods LA (Lower Alabama) county beaver pond.....)

But still, 20 free downloads is 20 free downloads!

You alright, JC? lol

Yeah, just a minute or two of dreaming of a school where a 78 Ford with 48 inch Super Swampers is not only acceptable transportation but actually a source of pride! I suppose I will stick to NYC and keep my wife happy though a man can dream!

I am pretty sure you can buy EITHER kind of music with that Itunes thing. Works for me since I like both country AND western!

The perfect ride for commuting to Bama LS. (BTW, having my roots in said state I am only making fun of myself here.)
--ImageRemoved--

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:19 pm

JCFindley wrote:I got a fee waiver from Bama but it was a while ago. I notice they also pushed back their app deadline to Aug if I recall correctly.

That would be the highest ranked school I got in the pile, though Iowa was pretty active a while ago.

I think Vandy was my highest, but I'm not sure. Got half a dozen or so in the T30, but none that I wanted to apply to :(

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:30 pm

dingbat wrote:
JCFindley wrote:I got a fee waiver from Bama but it was a while ago. I notice they also pushed back their app deadline to Aug if I recall correctly.

That would be the highest ranked school I got in the pile, though Iowa was pretty active a while ago.

I think Vandy was my highest, but I'm not sure. Got half a dozen or so in the T30, but none that I wanted to apply to :(

I got one from Columbia. Maybe should have applied, lol. I just figured I had about a 0.00% chance.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:56 pm

VasaVasori wrote:
2014 wrote:Alabama used to offer $30 for itunes which offset the $14 or w/e to apply easily. Now that they are offering the equivalent of 20 bucks with app fees going up to what? $21? It feels like a ripoff.

Sorry, I should have specified better: 20 free itunes songs, AND application fee waived.

You still have to pay the LSAC fee for every application you submit, even if you have a fee waiver. Thus, this deal sucks.

Wily

Postby Wily » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:53 pm

Just got another one from Charlotte Law.

"I understand that this is a big decision and may take some planning in order to be able to start in August. For this reason, I also have some moving expense reimbursement funds up to $2,000 available (for fall only). However, we have noticed that many students do not actually spend that much in relocation costs so if you do not need the moving relocation, you can chose either a laptop computer or an iPad 3 instead."

Free iPad 3 if I sign on for crippling debt for a useless degree?

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Wily wrote:Just got another one from Charlotte Law.

"I understand that this is a big decision and may take some planning in order to be able to start in August. For this reason, I also have some moving expense reimbursement funds up to $2,000 available (for fall only). However, we have noticed that many students do not actually spend that much in relocation costs so if you do not need the moving relocation, you can chose either a laptop computer or an iPad 3 instead."

Free iPad 3 if I sign on for crippling debt for a useless degree?

Quick look in to this school: They charge $39,000 a year. They have 65% non-NC residents (so crappy school + no ties). They also claim an employment rate of 94%.

So when is someone going to sue a school like this for fraud?

ChikaBoom

Postby ChikaBoom » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:13 pm

(But then I might get accepted and my redneck roots would start to show and I might start thinking about going there instead of Fordham then I would have to deal with my wife divorcing me and then I would have to find some rich coed freshman that wants a father figure then I would have to deal with her parents being younger than I am then I would end up shot and cut up for gator bait in some backwoods LA (Lower Alabama) county beaver pond.....)

Better than dealing with the cat ranchers... :wink:

Yeah, just a minute or two of dreaming of a school where a 78 Ford with 48 inch Super Swampers is not only acceptable transportation but actually a source of pride! I suppose I will stick to NYC and keep my wife happy though a man can dream!

I am pretty sure you can buy EITHER kind of music with that Itunes thing. Works for me since I like both country AND western!

Credited. My people are from Alabama. Those tires might not be big enough, son.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:23 pm

ChikaBoom wrote:

Better than dealing with the cat ranchers... :wink:

Credited. My people are from Alabama. Those tires might not be big enough, son.

OK, between your avatar, which indicates you are a redhead, and what I have seen of you so far on TLS I think I am in love. Just so you know.

All we have to do now is test your shooting and fishing skills and I will get to work filing the divorce paperwork on my end. :wink: I am sure you will do fine on those having people from Alabama and all.

ChikaBoom

Postby ChikaBoom » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:47 pm

:lol: Well, I will just have to brush up on my skills when I go to the annual 'redneck reunion' camping trip for Labor Day, then. Not a redhead though, more auburn/brown.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:52 pm

ChikaBoom wrote::lol: Well, I will just have to brush up on my skills when I go to the annual 'redneck reunion' camping trip for Labor Day, then. Not a redhead though, more auburn/brown.

Still works.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:44 pm

This email from U of Arizona seemed pretty desperate to me.
We’d like to be among the first to congratulate you on your recent LSAT score and academic accomplishments. As you contemplate a career in law -- or the many other professional choices that legal education affords you -- we invite you to take a look at the Arizona Law community.

In fact, we invite you to take a look right now.

Under the new Opportunity Program, we can accept a small cadre of highly performing applicants for the 2012 fall class. This program offers you the chance to have a productive first year of law school instead of “waiting out” the law school admissions cycle. Though you might have planned to wait until next year, there are benefits to accelerating your schedule and joining Arizona Law’s Centennial Class of 2015:

• Through August 5, application fees are waived for all Opportunity Program applicants;
• Scholarship monies are available for eligible Opportunity Program students;
• We can provide FAFSA counseling and financial aid fast-tracking to meet deadlines;
• Phone, Skype, or in-person interviews with college leadership, faculty, and students are available.
• We stand ready to help you jump in, by offering advice and counseling on relocation, transportation, housing and acclimatization to Tucson and the law school community.

If you are familiar with Arizona Law, we don’t have to tell you that we offer one of the most highly individualized and supportive legal education experiences in the country. With a diverse student body of about 450, we draw talented students from the top of the national applicant pool. Our faculty are distinguished leaders in their fields, as well as celebrated teachers and mentors. Being part of one of the smallest top law schools in the country means that you will get a personalized legal education. In fact, 90% of 2nd and 3rd year courses at Arizona law have between 5 and 25 students. Additionally, we are considered one of National Jurist’s Top Value Law Schools.

Every entering law student has questions about the job market. In a recent report from the American Bar Association, Arizona Law is among only 19 other law schools in the nation that had more than 75% of 2011 graduates employed 9 months after graduation in full-time, long-term jobs that require bar passage. In a tough legal market, Arizona Law graduates are 1st in Arizona and 3rd in the region (just behind Stanford and Berkeley) in finding high-quality legal employment.

If you want to learn more about the Opportunity Program, please contact me directly at 520-621-9949 or by email at Allison.nash@law.arizona.edu. For further information about Arizona Law, please visit http://www.law.arizona.edu/.

Opportunity knocks - we hope you’ll answer.

Allison Nash J.D.
Acting Assistant Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:37 pm

abc12345675 wrote:Quick look in to this school: They charge $39,000 a year. They have 65% non-NC residents (so crappy school + no ties). They also claim an employment rate of 94%.

So when is someone going to sue a school like this for fraud?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they have a 94% employment rate. Doesn't mean they're working as lawyers... the national employment rate is like 93%

busted

Postby busted » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:45 pm

I got one from Stansbury. Sorry, if you won't take Jessie you can't have me.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:05 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:This email from U of Arizona seemed pretty desperate to me.
We’d like to be among the first to congratulate you on your recent LSAT score and academic accomplishments. As you contemplate a career in law -- or the many other professional choices that legal education affords you -- we invite you to take a look at the Arizona Law community.

In fact, we invite you to take a look right now.

Under the new Opportunity Program, we can accept a small cadre of highly performing applicants for the 2012 fall class. This program offers you the chance to have a productive first year of law school instead of “waiting out” the law school admissions cycle. Though you might have planned to wait until next year, there are benefits to accelerating your schedule and joining Arizona Law’s Centennial Class of 2015:

• Through August 5, application fees are waived for all Opportunity Program applicants;
• Scholarship monies are available for eligible Opportunity Program students;
• We can provide FAFSA counseling and financial aid fast-tracking to meet deadlines;
• Phone, Skype, or in-person interviews with college leadership, faculty, and students are available.
• We stand ready to help you jump in, by offering advice and counseling on relocation, transportation, housing and acclimatization to Tucson and the law school community.

If you are familiar with Arizona Law, we don’t have to tell you that we offer one of the most highly individualized and supportive legal education experiences in the country. With a diverse student body of about 450, we draw talented students from the top of the national applicant pool. Our faculty are distinguished leaders in their fields, as well as celebrated teachers and mentors. Being part of one of the smallest top law schools in the country means that you will get a personalized legal education. In fact, 90% of 2nd and 3rd year courses at Arizona law have between 5 and 25 students. Additionally, we are considered one of National Jurist’s Top Value Law Schools.

Every entering law student has questions about the job market. In a recent report from the American Bar Association, Arizona Law is among only 19 other law schools in the nation that had more than 75% of 2011 graduates employed 9 months after graduation in full-time, long-term jobs that require bar passage. In a tough legal market, Arizona Law graduates are 1st in Arizona and 3rd in the region (just behind Stanford and Berkeley) in finding high-quality legal employment.

If you want to learn more about the Opportunity Program, please contact me directly at 520-621-9949 or by email at Allison.nash@law.arizona.edu. For further information about Arizona Law, please visit http://www.law.arizona.edu/.

Opportunity knocks - we hope you’ll answer.

Allison Nash J.D.
Acting Assistant Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid

If I was someone accepted at sticker to AU and told there wasn't any money left, I'd be pretty miffed there was a reserve for this unannounced "opportunity" scholly program.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:25 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
If I was someone accepted at sticker to AU and told there wasn't any money left, I'd be pretty miffed there was a reserve for this unannounced "opportunity" scholly program.

I got a similar email today from Wake Forest.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Toledo sent me an email offering me a presumptive full tuition scholarship pending I send in an application, they verify my GPA/LSAT, and my C&F is okay. They then called me later to make sure I received the email.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:12 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:Toledo sent me an email offering me a presumptive full tuition scholarship pending I send in an application, they verify my GPA/LSAT, and my C&F is okay. They then called me later to make sure I received the email.

Schools can spam me all they want, but if one actually called me I'd be pissed. Unless it was a T14, in which case I'd probably stutter and babble like a 12-year-old trying to talk to a girl.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:07 pm

I've again gotten an email from Savannah law
If my LSAT is 15-20 points above what qualifies for a full scholly and I don't live in the state (or general region). What on earth makes them think I'd go there?

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:11 pm

A friendly reminder, the application deadline for the fall term is
JULY 1ST, just one week left to apply. You can submit the electronic
application
easily by following this link:

--LinkRemoved--

If you have any remaining questions or would like to discuss a fall
start,
feel free to give me a call again at (805) 683-5337.

Thank you,

Admissions Director
California School of Law

I wouldn't put my name on there either if I was the Admissions Director. :roll:

thenumberfour

Postby thenumberfour » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:48 pm

I actually don't mind the spammy emails because I think they're hilarious. But I got a call from La Verne School of Law yesterday which made me go WTF. They're pretty desperate to fill seats. Were the crappy schools harassing people via phone last cycle?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”