Desperate emails from schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Wily

Desperate emails from schools

Postby Wily » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:32 am

Still getting lots of emails from law schools to apply even in mid-July now. Shows how desperate schools are for butts to fill seats and federal loans to fill their coffers.

This one sounds like an ad for Shamwow or something.

Dear [Wily],

Thinking about attending law school? Why wait another year! There’s still time to apply to the Earle Mack School of Law for Fall of 2012. Only a few seats remain, so apply soon! And, there are still a few scholarships available. Applying online is free! So what are you waiting for? Apply now!

Issa

Isabel "Issa" DiSciullo
Assistant Dean for Admissions

JCFindley

Re: Desperate emails from schools

Postby JCFindley » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:35 am

Wily wrote:Still getting lots of emails from law schools to apply even in mid-July now. Shows how desperate schools are for butts to fill seats and federal loans to fill their coffers.

Dear [Wily],

Thinking about attending law school? Why wait another year! There’s still time to apply to the Earle Mack School of Law for Fall of 2012. Only a few seats remain, so apply soon! And, there are still a few scholarships available. Applying online is free! So what are you waiting for? Apply now!

Issa

Isabel "Issa" DiSciullo

My inbox is full of them. I am holding out for the full ride at Yale though.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:39 am

Wily wrote:Still getting lots of emails from law schools to apply even in mid-July now. Shows how desperate schools are for butts to fill seats and federal loans to fill their coffers.

Dear [Wily],

Issa

Isabel "Issa" DiSciullo

That's insane. They are really trying to rush people into taking out 200K of non-dischargeable debt like it's buying something on late-night TV. While supplies last!

Sounder89

Postby Sounder89 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:38 pm

I'm really regretting checking that box that allowed law schools to see my info when I made my LSAC account. At the time I thought, how could it hurt? If I do well on the LSAT, I would want schools to see. Unfortunately (should have expected this), it's all the wrong schools I seem to be getting attention from. And by "wrong schools" I mean the ones that are completely fucked now that admissions have dropped, so they're whoring themselves out in the most desperate ways possible to attract students. In the past 2 days alone I've gotten emails from Florida Coastal, Seton Hall, Cooley, Florida State, and Mississippi College of Law. Some of them strongly implied that if I applied by mid January, I would basically be admitted with scholarship $$ within a week. Cooley sent me a flyer that said "learn why Cooley is a great choice for a legal education," next to a picture of a fat black woman clapping and laughing her ass off.

Are these schools really that desperate? They might as well start just taking random people off the street, which in a sense, is what Cooley has been doing already.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:42 pm

Sounder89 wrote:I'm really regretting checking that box that allowed law schools to see my info when I made my LSAC account. At the time I thought, how could it hurt? If I do well on the LSAT, I would want schools to see. Unfortunately (should have expected this), it's all the wrong schools I seem to be getting attention from. And by "wrong schools" I mean the ones that are completely fucked now that admissions have dropped, so they're whoring themselves out in the most desperate ways possible to attract students. In the past 2 days alone I've gotten emails from Florida Coastal, Seton Hall, Cooley, Florida State, and Mississippi College of Law. Some of them strongly implied that if I applied by mid January, I would basically be admitted with scholarship $$ within a week. Cooley sent me a flyer that said "learn why Cooley is a great choice for a legal education," next to a picture of a fat black woman clapping and laughing her ass off.

Are these schools really that desperate? They might as well start just taking random people off the street, which in a sense, is what Cooley has been doing already.

I spent about 20 minutes a few weeks ago going through and unsubscribing from all the spam school mail. Reallllly glad I did. Nothing is more unattractive in a school than desperation

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Sounder89 wrote:I'm really regretting checking that box that allowed law schools to see my info when I made my LSAC account. At the time I thought, how could it hurt? If I do well on the LSAT, I would want schools to see. Unfortunately (should have expected this), it's all the wrong schools I seem to be getting attention from. And by "wrong schools" I mean the ones that are completely fucked now that admissions have dropped, so they're whoring themselves out in the most desperate ways possible to attract students. In the past 2 days alone I've gotten emails from Florida Coastal, Seton Hall, Cooley, Florida State, and Mississippi College of Law. Some of them strongly implied that if I applied by mid January, I would basically be admitted with scholarship $$ within a week. Cooley sent me a flyer that said "learn why Cooley is a great choice for a legal education," next to a picture of a fat black woman clapping and laughing her ass off.

All true, except that I just got a fee waiver from GULC. That alone is worth all the hilarious Florida Coastal emails.

Sounder89

Postby Sounder89 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Yukos wrote:

All true, except that I just got a fee waiver from GULC. That alone is worth all the hilarious Florida Coastal emails.

Haven't gotten anything from GULC. I have gotten a few emails from some decent schools (UW Seattle, UT) but they're not giving me anything, just telling me to apply.
Last edited by Sounder89 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Yukos wrote: All true, except that I just got a fee waiver from GULC. That alone is worth all the hilarious Florida Coastal emails.

Bitch says what?

SnapSnapSnap

Postby SnapSnapSnap » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:03 pm

Sounder89 wrote:
Yukos wrote:

Haven't gotten anything from GULC. I have gotten a few emails from some decent schools (UW Seattle, UT) but they're not giving me anything, just telling me to apply.

To be fair, after the LSAT I got fee waivers from Columbia, Cornell, Northwestern, and UVA. (Obvious & shameless GULC trolling :lol: )

Sounder89

Postby Sounder89 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:07 pm

SnapSnapSnap wrote:
To be fair, after the LSAT I got fee waivers from Columbia, Cornell, Northwestern, and UVA. (Obvious & shameless GULC trolling :lol: )

Well schucks, where are my fee waivers? All I'm getting are these hilarious yet obnoxious emails cluttering my inbox.

SnapSnapSnap

Postby SnapSnapSnap » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:23 pm

Sounder89 wrote:
SnapSnapSnap wrote:

Well schucks, where are my fee waivers? All I'm getting are these hilarious yet obnoxious emails cluttering my inbox.

Frankly, I'm a little offended that I don't get stalked by Florida Coastal like EVERYONE else does. Makes me feel left out. :cry:

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:27 pm

I got a fee waiver from Bama but it was a while ago. I notice they also pushed back their app deadline to Aug if I recall correctly.

That would be the highest ranked school I got in the pile, though Iowa was pretty active a while ago.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:16 pm

catholicgirl wrote:
Yukos wrote: All true, except that I just got a fee waiver from GULC. That alone is worth all the hilarious Florida Coastal emails.

Bitch says what?

Yeah I now realize this looks like I'm bragging about shit that doesn't matter, but I meant it in the "CRS isn't all bad" sense, not the "look at my sick fee waivers noobz" sense.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:38 pm

It's kind of sad to see how desperate these schools are. Yesterday I got two emails one even said I can qualify for a 10K scholarship....yea too bad I got double that from a good school. Anyways I had one school actually call me and leve a voice message asking me to apply. It's about time the markets start correcting this saturation of schools and lawyers and begins regulating so we can have a shot at decent jobs!

Pate

Postby Pate » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:46 pm

I imagine that the administrators are demanding that their deans get on their keyboards and . . . sell, sell, sell.

Wily

Postby Wily » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Pate wrote:I imagine that the administrators are demanding that their deans get on their keyboards and . . . sell, sell, sell.

Mitch and Murray from downtown sent Alec Baldwin to sort them out, I bet.

"A. B. A.
A. Always
B. Be
A. Admitting!"

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:48 am

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:04 pm

VasaVasori wrote:Did anyone else just get the email from Alabama offering 20 free iTunes downloads if you apply?

Are you kidding? I WANT 20 free downloads and would apply just for that!

(But then I might get accepted and my redneck roots would start to show and I might start thinking about going there instead of Fordham then I would have to deal with my wife divorcing me and then I would have to find some rich coed freshman that wants a father figure then I would have to deal with her parents being younger than I am then I would end up shot and cut up for gator bait in some backwoods LA (Lower Alabama) county beaver pond.....)

But still, 20 free downloads is 20 free downloads!

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:13 pm

The true fun comes when you get one of these emails after being in law school for nearly a year.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:24 pm

Wily wrote:
Pate wrote:I imagine that the administrators are demanding that their deans get on their keyboards and . . . sell, sell, sell.

Mitch and Murray from downtown sent Alec Baldwin to sort them out, I bet.

"A. B. A.
A. Always
B. Be
A. Admitting!"
Underrated post.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:29 pm

Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2014 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:37 pm

Alabama used to offer $30 for itunes which offset the $14 or w/e to apply easily. Now that they are offering the equivalent of 20 bucks with app fees going up to what? $21? It feels like a ripoff.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:38 pm

Did you guys get that Rutgers letter?

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:40 pm

JCFindley wrote:
VasaVasori wrote:Did anyone else just get the email from Alabama offering 20 free iTunes downloads if you apply?

Are you kidding? I WANT 20 free downloads and would apply just for that!

(But then I might get accepted and my redneck roots would start to show and I might start thinking about going there instead of Fordham then I would have to deal with my wife divorcing me and then I would have to find some rich coed freshman that wants a father figure then I would have to deal with her parents being younger than I am then I would end up shot and cut up for gator bait in some backwoods LA (Lower Alabama) county beaver pond.....)

But still, 20 free downloads is 20 free downloads!

You alright, JC? lol

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:40 pm

Nova wrote:Did you guys get that Rutgers letter?

I did I did!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”